Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The "your mom doesn't ride here" thread

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The "your mom doesn't ride here" thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-12, 11:00 AM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genec
Yeah it is hard not to notice the stuff you don't see a 55MPH. Riding a bike puts you more in touch with the environment... how anyone can leave their crap on the roadside is beyond me... I don't even spit out gum... for fear that sometime down the road I might just run over it.
Guilty!! A couple weeks ago a group of us gathered in Fort Davis, Tx to ride in the desert and mountains there. During the drive from Austin, I was dismayed to notice an ever-increasing sore throat and sinus pain. The first morning in Fort Davis I woke up with painful sinuses, congestion and a searing sore throat. But, I came there to ride, so ride I will, by God! I ate about a dozen aspirins that day, drank a bunch of ginseng and black coffee, and rode the first segment of the "Scenic Loop" from Fort Davis up to the McDonald observatory cut-off. This involves climbing, 4500 to 6200 ft., approx. That was Tuesday. I rode it again on Friday, and again on Saturday, and was puzzled to see lots of bright golden spots about the size of a silver dollar off to my right in dramatic contrast to the black chip-seal shoulder. After a while I realized they were sun-dried loogies from my previous efforts!

Of well, nothing that a little rain won't take care of.

Don in Austin
Old 04-27-12, 11:40 AM
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I_like_cereal
.....I have picked up bike tires as well and carried them to the nearest trash can/recycling can. Not to mention the numerous gu tops and gel bags that litter my ride all through the summer months.....
.....I carry a trash bag when I backpack and I have pockets when I ride. I think we all have pockets or some device to carry our trash......
Honestly, Gelpaks and Powerbar wrapper I just don't get. How much room do they take up, and how long will they take to decay? I am actually in favor of outlawing non-biodegradable food and drink packaging all together, especially plastic bottles and foil wrappers.

+1 on the plastic trash bags though. I have often thought about passing them out at trailheads during weekend events, but I guess that I would need to organize a group to pick them all up off the trail on Monday....

Originally Posted by Mondo734
......But for those of you who think cyclists are bad about disposing of their trash are clearly not fishermen as well. Everytime I go somewhere to fish I alway find food wrappers, tangled fishing line, lures and hooks, beer can, and just about everything else you can think of.......
Originally Posted by tarwheel
.....I also kayak, and you wouldn't believe the trash that boaters throw in lakes. I mean, they're out there enjoying a beautiful lake with clean water and nice scenery, and they throw their bottles, cans and other trash in the water......
I don't really want to point fingers, but I have to agree that boaters and fishermen display an amazing disregard for the environments that the enjoy exploiting. I've seen houseboats on Lake Powell and on the Colorado River dump their trash in a water of a cove before the turn in the boat. Sad to think that these people procreate.....

Originally Posted by kardar2
Now that's an Idea I am going to see if my wife can make me a sturdy trash bag to hang on my bars.
I stuff a couple of plastic grocery bags in my Camelbak, my toolbag, and my fanny pack (otherwise I wouldn't even use them to carry my groceries home at all). Way handy for this and "other things"......

Last edited by Stealthammer; 04-27-12 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-27-12, 11:57 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I commute in Los Angeles and suburbs of same, and while I do see occasional litter it's mostly fast-food wrappers and cups (and similar). I've yet to see a CO2 cartridge, a bicycle tube (any tube, really) or any tire. True, the roads on which I commute are not recreational cycling roads (far from it!), so that's why I never see GU or Clif bar wrappers; no surprise there.

My question is, what does this litter talk have to do with "your Mom doesn't ride here?" I understand the litter part, I understand the pack in/pack out bit, but what does all this have to do with Moms?

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-27-12, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
[QUOTE=Stealthammer;14151990]Anyone remember this commercial or the "Ecology Movement"? Actor Iron Eyes Cody's 1971 anti-pollution PSA.....

Sounds like the actor from the radio show "Gunsmoke" narrating.
Old 04-27-12, 03:59 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Think of all the weight they're saving by tossing that stuff aside! What's wrong with you**********?
Old 04-27-12, 04:57 PM
Fail Boat crewman

Bikes: Reynolds 853 Jamis Quest 1990s

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
My question is, what does this litter talk have to do with "your Mom doesn't ride here?" I understand the litter part, I understand the pack in/pack out bit, but what does all this have to do with Moms?
Rick / OCRR
You have never heard the expression - Your mom does not live here. Clean up your own mess.

I have heard that since I was a kid. My mom did live with me, but you get the idea.