Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best chain breaker/pin insertion tool?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Best chain breaker/pin insertion tool?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-21, 04:02 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3620 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
OT: does anybody make a light weight chain breaker for saddle bag storage? I thought i remember an alloy version from the 70's.
There was the "chain pup" in the 80s-90s:

Not the easiest chain tool to use, but compact and light, and could save your a** if you have a chain failure in the middle of nowhere.
Old 10-03-21, 05:38 PM

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 407 Posts
Cyclo. The best. It's what Eddy Merckx used.

this one has a slightly bent pin which means extra skill and a high frustration index is required for successful usage.
See John D Thompson's post (#23).
Old 10-04-21, 09:10 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 289 Posts
Small inexpensive ones are durable for the most part. Even with the larger and stronger ones the pin can deform which is why my shop chain tool allows for replacing the pin. It is a Atelier Velo that I bought in 1970 or 1971. A good tool will truly last a lifetime or longer if not abused.

Current chain breakers are crude by comparison. If I was replacing it my choice would probably be the Topeak All Speed tool where the drive pin can be replaced.
Old 10-05-21, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the pointers to replacement pins, I hadn't realised that you could buy those.
Old 10-05-21, 08:36 AM

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Cyclo. The best. It's what Eddy Merckx used.

this one has a slightly bent pin which means extra skill and a high frustration index is required for successful usage.

the trick is to develop a sensitive tactile feel as to when the chain pin is going to roll across the garage floor.

if i am sucesful in the usage of the primitive and beat down cyclo chain tool, then i reward myself with heroic portions of blackberry pie and blueberry milkshakes.

That is the same tool I have. It is the exact same, but I am not sure if it is stamped with the same name - could be a different brand of the exact same design.

In any event, your description is interesting - mine is the same way with the bent pin. However, I have found it more than adequate. I just used it to service a chain on a friend's bike last week.

The one big "technique" to dial in, with any breaker tool, is how far to push the pin out. You only push the pin far enough through the back side chain link enough to clear the center link roller. You do not push the pin all the way through and out. If you do the pin is a nightmare to get back in. This may take 3-4 "adjustments" once you get close, but better multiple short adjustments than to go too far and knock the pin out!!!

Practice on the technique before you go on a trip so you are confident with it. You don't want to break a chain and need to learn on the side of the trail in the rain when you're frustrated and worn out.

On another subject entirely - carry a few extra quick links also. If you break a chain on-the-go they are pretty easy to get you back to going. If your chain is worn out and you end up breaking it in another location and you only have 1 quick link you're somewhat up a creek. The only option is to break the chain where you can reconnect it to another good link - with the tool.

With a few quick links in my handlebar bag and a tool I gots lotsa options for chain repairs. Carrying a spare chain is an idea, but with the "stuff" I am not sure a replacement chain is warranted to carry on a trip. If it had a history of breaking it would be questionable and should be replaced before a trip. If its never broken, over a couple thousand miles or so, and the links aren't overly stretched - ride on and have a tool/quick links and be happy.

Last note - a broken quick link isn't the same as a broken chain. I've broken a quick link, but never the chain links. I am more than confident on still riding it. Keep up with your lube. That will greatly assist in the longevity of your chain. You'll likely need to replace the chain based on the links stretching too much before you'll ever need to replace it due to breaking. That is unless you don't keep up with lube and leave the bike outside in the weather where the chain can corrode.