Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Tourist Needs Help w. Cleveland Lakefront Bike Path (Time Sensitive: Aug.28!)

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Tourist Needs Help w. Cleveland Lakefront Bike Path (Time Sensitive: Aug.28!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-10, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So.... how did it go?
Old 08-29-10, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
>>>>So.... how did it go?<<<<<<

I've gotta tell you, that city is beautiful, clean as a whistle, and VERY friendly. However, the trip was a pretty grand waste of a thousand bucks or so. I didn't really get what everyone was ranting about until I saw it for myself.

Never before have I been so spooked by such a nice-looking place. For almost two full days, my wife and I walked around this fairly large metropolis and came in contact with a total of, maybe, 25 people. On the entire walk from Tower City to our hotel at 11th and Lakeside, we saw ONE other person on the street. On Sunday, we were hard-pressed to even find THAT many people anywhere near our hotel.

The restaurant/club scene seems to be trying to take off, but it's not going to happen as long as the different "districts" are spread so far apart and not easily reachable by tourists who depend on public transportation or hotel shuttle vans. We had two outdoors meals on 4th Street and didn't really enjoy either one. The highlight of our meals was at Fat Fish Blue, where the food was OK, but the band really got the place rocking. I absolutely agree that the social scene needs to be centered in one place and that it would probably be most successful if it somehow incorporated the theme of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. By that, I'm thinking Liverpool, England, and the way all the restaurants and bars cater to tourists' hunger for anything Beatles oriented.

As expected, the hugest disappointment was the R&R Hall of Fame itself. I lost interest and patience after, literally, five minutes. In this Google age, where you can see a scan of Bruce Springsteen's first recording contract or Elvis's grade school report card any time you want, I don't see why anybody needs to travel so far and pay $22 to look at these things hanging on a wall. How about an animatronics fantasy concert or something? The Latin concert was the only saving grace for us. That music is really infectious.

Finally, you were all absolutely right about the lack of good bicycling opportunities in our area. Perhaps there are good places to ride at other locales in the city, but I sure am glad I didn't spend too much time trying to locate a bike rental shop and plan a ride along Lakeside Avenue. Thanks for giving it to me straight.

Anyway, best of luck with your city, and thanks for the hospitality. If anybody ever needs biking information about New York, feel free to contact me!

TM
Old 08-30-10, 07:32 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 381 Posts
That's the same hotel we stayed at. Not much going on around there, considering the R&R Hall is right down the street. We ended up eating at the hotel when we couldn't find anything else, and even that was closing. There was another family in the restaurant with that same look of "where the hell is everyone???".

We liked the Hall, but I wouldn't have gone out of my way to see it. My kids got bored pretty quickly since to them it was a bunch of old guys, even though they liked the Experience Music Project in Seattle.

The bike route takes you from the Hall along the lakeside airport on Marginal Way. It eventually goes off street and then ends but picks up MLK way towards Case WEstern. There's a bike path along there too, but I rode in the street as the bike path wasn't in great shape. I saw one bike on the streets around Case Western, and not a single other bike anywhere else.
Old 08-30-10, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
That's the same hotel we stayed at. Not much going on around there, considering the R&R Hall is right down the street. We ended up eating at the hotel when we couldn't find anything else, and even that was closing. There was another family in the restaurant with that same look of "where the hell is everyone???".

We liked the Hall, but I wouldn't have gone out of my way to see it. My kids got bored pretty quickly since to them it was a bunch of old guys, even though they liked the Experience Music Project in Seattle.

The bike route takes you from the Hall along the lakeside airport on Marginal Way. It eventually goes off street and then ends but picks up MLK way towards Case WEstern. There's a bike path along there too, but I rode in the street as the bike path wasn't in great shape. I saw one bike on the streets around Case Western, and not a single other bike anywhere else.
It doesn't actually end there, though i'll be the first to agree that it's not obvious. If you take the right, you end up at CWRU, if you take the left, you end up still on the lakefront trail as it joins Lakeshore and goes another 10 or 15 miles along that, through both nice neighborhoods and sort of ghetto-y ones.
Old 09-01-10, 09:50 AM

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Cleveland's always been a very quite town. First noticed it in the late 1960's and it hasn't changed. Nearby cities like Buffalo, Columbus and Pittsburgh have always seemed to have a more visible city life.
Old 09-02-10, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Too bad you didn't rent bikes and take a ride through the Flats and over into Tremont. Nice eating options and then you could have easily hooked up with the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath trail and gotten in a great ride. The Towpath could have taken you south all the way to downtown Akron (if you were so inclined).