Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dman-ebike
I'd say its for water deflection. Even though the middle is a slick, The sides have some indentations that probably would throw the water in the right direction. Remember the Goodyear aquatread? Those only work one way.
thats what i've read before. I try to follow it, but maybe its a placebo effect on some tires, since the rotation arrow is a standard.

OP. you cant go wrong with the gatorskins. i've used specialized "all condition" for 1 year and i treated them to the worst and best roads. Had to change them after 6 months because they had MANY slashes, yet held very well (around 1 pinch every 2 months).

LUCK is also part of the equation here. A few weeks ago i noticed how my tire was way too low, i knew something was up. Pumped it up to 115psi and rode 80 miles with them, they held....at night i notice the same low psi on my tire....when i take the tire, immediately found the leak and proceeded to scan the tire, found 4 radial metal needles!!, 1 shard of glass that was making it thru slowly!! If i were to rush and put a new tube on that tyre, id probably flat instantly, with all those things in it i'd be pretty screwed.

A few days ago i jumped into the bandwagon, and bought conti gp4000s, im saving them for and upcoming event, "La Vuelta Puerto Rico". I just expect a bit more durability, and safety seems to be great on them.

Cheers,

Last edited by echotraveler; 01-06-11 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-06-11, 08:35 PM
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by dman-ebike
I'd say its for water deflection. Even though the middle is a slick, The sides have some indentations that probably would throw the water in the right direction. Remember the Goodyear aquatread? Those only work one way.
Bicycle tires have neither the mass or generate the forces needed to deflect water or even to hydroplane.

Tread patterns and directionality on road tires is pure marketing.

Old 01-06-11, 08:44 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Your going to run the gambit of tires here with that question. Look just buy whatever you can find on a deep sale price, as long as the reviews are good then you got a good tire. I bought a pair of Kenda Konstrictors for $18 each normally $40. I liked the Kendas so much (better then the Conti GP4000's you can never get at a good price) that I bought 3 more pairs.

Example, JensonUSA.com right now has Serfas Seca 700c x 28 (little wider but a great tire if you want the width) for $10 normally $25. Schwalbe Lugano is another decent tire for cheapYou can also do a search on Amazon and NexTag by simply entering the tire size you want and wait for the results. Also this place is having a sale going on too: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/searc...0_50&viewall=1
Old 01-07-11, 01:15 AM

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by miyata man
I had the same problem for a while as I refused to give up on a pair of Michelin Carbon Krylons I got for free. There was literally no way to escape riding through one of two ghettos to cross a major river to get where I wanted to go on a daily basis. Glass, broken lighters, a never ending stream of trash reduced to small sharp bits by car tires. I finally gave up and put my good nonfoldable Winter tires on early and had zero flats. If some additional weight, and you will notice additional rolling weight, is not to big a deal you can get some tire liners. More of a mountain biking in goathead country solution but those tubes add up.
I used Krylions too for my training rides which were on 'clean' roads. When I started commuting into the city on dirtier roads, I got flats every few weeks. I changed to gatorskins (beaded 23mm version) and never looked back. Until a few weeks ago when I finally got sick of removing/installing gatorskins (I find them a real pita to take off/put on).

So now I'm rolling with the folding version of the same tire in 25mm. It's early days yet so I wont comment on them just yet, except that I expct the straight line puncture resistance to be similar.
Old 01-07-11, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now GP4000s are on sale at my local REI for $44. Not sure if this sale is going on at other stores, but it might be worth it to check. I grabbed the last two 700x25c's that my store had today.
Old 01-07-11, 09:22 AM
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Braxt
So I am a brand new rider. Just started this summer, and now that it is cold, I am forced not to ride which is saving me some $$$. Looking back at my riding experiences I NEED NEW TIRES. 2 to 3 Tubes a week is ridiculous. I ride in areas that have no bike trails and bad roads. I need something puncture resistant for sure, but also made with price in mind. I do understand you get what you pay for but what is the best bang for my buck? So far I have been recommended Continental Gatorskin, but I heard the have sidewall blowout problems. so im asking for any other suggestions
Best bang for the buck is the Grand Prix Continental 4000S.

If the cost puts you off, compare it to cheap tires + more inner tube replacement costs.

Last edited by 2ndGen; 01-07-11 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-07-11, 09:37 AM
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndGen

If the cost puts you off, compare it to cheap tires + more inner tube replacement costs.
I love the GP 4000S and use it through the winter depending on how bad the roads get due to consistent snowfall. If the roads are harsh then I put the Gatorskins or an old pair of Conti 4 Season tires.
Old 01-07-11, 09:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quel
Schwalbe Ultremos.

I mean GP4000s.

Yes, agreed, Scwalbe Ultremo R.1...

Nicely done sir. They closed my thread.

I rode the gatorskin for awhile, no problems.

Riding GP4000s now, so far so good.
Old 01-07-11, 05:01 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by 2ndGen

Please explain how any tire that is less expensive then the Conti Grand Prix Continental 400S is going to cost more in tubes then the Conti? I can't wait for this answer.
Old 01-07-11, 05:24 PM
I like to fall.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Example, JensonUSA.com right now has Serfas Seca 700c x 28 (little wider but a great tire if you want the width) for $10 normally $25.
They only have them in pink. ;( LOL
Old 01-07-11, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by MattWithTwoTs
They only have them in pink. ;( LOL
What? You don't like pink? It could match pink bibs like these: https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...ht=lounge+bibs Oh wouldn't those look good with those pink tires?

Their only pink for a week then their too dirty to tell what color they are. They had other colors earlier but they must have sold the other colors out.
Old 01-08-11, 12:20 PM

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
did i mention vittoria rubino pros yet?
+1 (or is it +2 since you DID mention them already!). Not the obvious choice for puncture resistance (because Vittoria don't seem to go on about it), but I've had Krylions and Conti's and the Rubino's are every bit as bomb proof, yet lighter - and I think faster, but that might be in my head (oh... and they come in lovely colours!).
Old 01-08-11, 04:15 PM

Conti's actually have a higher rolling resistance then most other brands; their smooth ride from their paper thin sidewalls give the impression they roll better.

https://www.terrymorse.com/bike/rolres.html AND: https://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1503651.html
AND: https://www.biketechreview.com/tires_...sting_rev9.pdf (note on this site the GP4000's will be down toward the bottom in rolling resistance)

None of the above testing sites listed any Conti tire having lower rolling resistance of any other brand except for the Supersonics which are not suited for street riding. But Scwalbe Ultremo did win with the lowest rolling resistance on the last site I gave, but the resistance to buy one at $90 is real high. Also note that the last site tested tires with butyl and a separate test with latex, latex helped to improve rolling resistance.

BikeTiresDirect.com does have the Ultremo on sale for about $65 in case anyone wants to try a set.

Last edited by rekmeyata; 01-08-11 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-08-11, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Bicycle tires have neither the mass or generate the forces needed to deflect water or even to hydroplane.

Tread patterns and directionality on road tires is pure marketing.
I was just going to point this out. The stuff the water is holding together, not seen very often with a road tire, can make a properly oriented tread quite useful though. Reflective sidewalls on the other hand are something quite beneficial in places cut by cross streets. Motorcycles legally have to have a reflector on the side and I have long wondered why the bike industry has not come up with something better than the crap ones that sticks to a spoke when going slow. A glimmer of a headlight and a taillight with dirty sides hardly catches the attention of the speeder a half block up as you cross the intersection.
Old 01-08-11, 11:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GP4000S's aren't THAT expensive from PBK. When they go on sale you can get a pair for less than $70USD shipped, considering the retail price is $65 EACH.

I have used Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks (same as Rubino Pro 3's, Coasting?) that came on new bikes, and they did just fine, but when they wore out I got GP4000S's. I guess I just trusted them more.

EDIT: and my goodness, use the search function. There must be 1000 threads about tires with people wanting the exact same thing as you.
Old 01-08-11, 11:57 PM
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
I was just going to point this out. The stuff the water is holding together, not seen very often with a road tire, can make a properly oriented tread quite useful though. Reflective sidewalls on the other hand are something quite beneficial in places cut by cross streets. Motorcycles legally have to have a reflector on the side and I have long wondered why the bike industry has not come up with something better than the crap ones that sticks to a spoke when going slow. A glimmer of a headlight and a taillight with dirty sides hardly catches the attention of the speeder a half block up as you cross the intersection.
Tread on a road bike tire has zero effect on traction unless it is to reduce traction. Tires adhere because of the compounds used in their manufacture not because of some feather wisps on the tread.

Tires designed for dirt, on the other hand, are certainly affected by tread patterns.