Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help building up Univega Mixte

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help building up Univega Mixte

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 01:58 PM

Bikes: 1980 Univega Sportour Mixte, 2010 Jamis Quest remix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
If you dig the bars and your hand position- I would totally suggest thumb shifters. IMO the ratcheting Suntour Power Shifters are the cat's pyjamas. If you're not too 'budget impaired,' the Paul Thumbies will allow you to use pretty much any shifters you choose to... Otherwise the suggestion of the stem shifters isn't a bad idea- particularly if you use shifters you dig the action of.
@goldenboy I don't really understand the function of the Paul Thumbies. What would be needed for thumb shifters without them? Thanks
Old 08-14-18, 05:06 PM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by MegMC
@goldenboy I don't really understand the function of the Paul Thumbies. What would be needed for thumb shifters without them? Thanks
The Paul Thumbies allow you to use downtube (or bar end) shifters as thumb shifters.

As thumb shifters fell out of vogue around 1991, they were replaced by trigger shifters. So most of the thumb shifters around are either older or less expensive models. (nothing wrong with old thumb shifters)

So- let's just say you have a nice set of downtube shifters you really like the action of- you can generally mount them on Paul Thumbies just above (or under) your brake lever.

If you do an image search for 'Paul Thumbies' you'll mostly see modern-y bar end shifters on Thumbie pods.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-14-18, 05:22 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
The Paul Thumbies allow you to use downtube (or bar end) shifters as thumb shifters.

As thumb shifters fell out of vogue around 1991, they were replaced by trigger shifters. So most of the thumb shifters around are either older or less expensive models. (nothing wrong with old thumb shifters)

So- let's just say you have a nice set of downtube shifters you really like the action of- you can generally mount them on Paul Thumbies just above (or under) your brake lever.

If you do an image search for 'Paul Thumbies' you'll mostly see modern-y bar end shifters on Thumbie pods.
Thanks! that's super helpful

Perhaps I'll see if my LBS has any old thumb shifters from builds. Seems like the most straightforward option, but the new bar end shifters on the Paul Thumbies do look quite nice!
Old 08-14-18, 05:41 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2383 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,591 Posts
If you are staying friction, my preference, because they are cheaper, and look a little more seamless would be to either get a pair of cheap new thumb shifters or a set of vintage ones (C&V for sale put up a WTB is often helpful)

Velo orange has a few thumb shifter options

$12 https://velo-orange.com/collections/...thumb-shifters

Their version of paul thumbies $65

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...unts-22-2-23-8

Old 08-15-18, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 419 Posts
I like Univegas also.

I found a Sportour mixte in a tan color for my wife about 6 years ago and rebuilt it for her with lots of changes.

The tubing decal indicated it had double butted tubing.

She rode it for about 4000 miles B4 deciding to go with an Electra low step over bike so I subsequently sold it.

I switched hers to 700c wheels and Tektro long reach calipers, a crankset with 28 x 42 rings
and a bit wider 42cm road handlebar.

She like the stem shifters so I used them and they worked great for her.

As to tire size I squeezed in true to size 700 x 38
Vittoria Voyager Hyper tires.

​​​​​​I have a pics I could probably find.

By the time I was done there weren't many original parts left on it.

I was contemplating switching it to a swept back upright bar like the Sunlite North Road alloy bar
when she went with the Electra that already had upright bars.

Enjoy your nice Univega. It's a nice mixte I think.

Last edited by cooperryder; 08-15-18 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-15-18, 05:26 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Ordered myself some 700x28 Panaracer Pasela tires and the Ahearne MAP handlebar which is extremely similar to the Velo Orange Milan, but for some unknown reason my eyes liked it better. Can't wait for those to be delivered.

Holding off on the Technomic stem, though I think I'll need it, until I can check sizing for the stem length with the new bars. I've seen folks write they like to pair that bar with 120mm stem to make the reach essentially flat, but I may like a bit more reach than that.

Husband has convinced me to stick with the downtube shifters for now. He thinks once I get used to riding they won't be such a big deal and look cleaner and cooler :-) We'll see.

It's been tough to get a real world approximation because I've been fiddling with the gears so much until we get the derailleur adjusted for the new hub.

Still not sure about grips, because I'm not sure about the seat either and I want them to compliment each other. I like the look of the Velo Orange lock on leather grips, but maybe something a bit more ergo would be more practical.

I'm intrigued by silicone - I suppose I'm not out much to try a pair.

Will post more photos once we put the new gear on!

Last edited by MegMC; 08-15-18 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 05:38 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cooperryder
I like Univegas also.

I found a Sportour mixte in a tan color for my wife about 6 years ago and rebuilt it for her with lots of changes.

The tubing decal indicated it had double butted tubing.

She rode it for about 4000 miles B4 deciding to go with an Electra low step over bike so I subsequently sold it.

I switched hers to 700c wheels and Tektro long reach calipers, a crankset with 28 x 42 rings
and a bit wider 42cm road handlebar.

She like the stem shifters so I used them and they worked great for her.

As to tire size I squeezed in true to size 700 x 38
Vittoria Voyager Hyper tires.

​​​​​​I have a pics I could probably find.

By the time I was done there weren't many original parts left on it.

I was contemplating switching it to a swept back upright bar like the Sunlite North Road alloy bar
when she went with the Electra that already had upright bars.

Enjoy your nice Univega. It's a nice mixte I think.
Thank you I'd love to see pics of a fellow Sportour. Mine seems to be beige off white, though the catalogue I believe calls it Pearl Gray.
Old 08-15-18, 06:01 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Still not sure about grips, because I'm not sure about the seat either and I want them to compliment each other. I like the look of the Velo Orange lock on leather grips, but maybe something a bit more ergo would be more practical.

I'm intrigued by silicone - I suppose I'm not out much to try a pair.
Actually I quite like these Rustines from Velo Orange Velouria posted about some time ago. I think they really fit the vintage-but-not-overly-romantic-vintage aesthetic I'm going for with my sportier Japanese mixte.

Last edited by MegMC; 08-15-18 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 06:44 PM

I misspoke on the color.
It appears to be the same as yours.
I just sold a tannish beige or light brown Univega frame and I guess I had that color on my mind when I posted.

I made several different changes to this bike over the years and the ones with the green tape are the last I took.
She mostly used the inline/cross levers for braking and I was about to switch to the upright bars as I mentioned and a better wheelset and dress it up a bit when she went with the other bike.
Thats one of the tall Technomic stems by Nitto.
It served her well.

Univega made some nice bikes.

Old 08-15-18, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For pedals I do like the MKS SylvanTouring pair. Lightweight,decent grip, they also have ones with a black outer type cage that go good (esthetic wise)

39186571_1679178585526817_1877408150148087808_n by K Farm, on Flickr
Old 08-15-18, 07:46 PM

Now that is one super nice looking cockpit from my point of view.

Thumb shifters are currently my fav for upright handlebars.
Old 08-15-18, 08:16 PM

Here are two examples of my recent cockpits with upright bars.

The threadless stem plus stem adapter does make it easier to try different bars and stems of different lengths with a minimum of work.

Old 08-15-18, 09:13 PM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Actually I quite like these Rustines from Velo Orange Velouria posted about some time ago. I think they really fit the vintage-but-not-overly-romantic-vintage aesthetic I'm going for with my sportier Japanese mixte.

I have those on my Clem on Albatross bars. I like 'em. Comfortable and styley. Kind of smallish though, at least for my ape hands. I taped rest of the bars so it doesn't really make much difference. Mine are starting to crack a bit though. LA weather is brutal to rubber things.

RE shifters - I vote for friction. Keep it easy. Thumbies are nice. Not sure I'd spend as much as they go for now though. It was nice when you could buy a set of Suntour power shifters for $10 and be done with it. Anyone using the cheap Sunrace thumbies? Only 10 bux and they look decent. Nothing wrong with stem shifters either. They are cheap now due to supposed uncoolness. Which is exactly why they are cool. DT shifters however are dead simple and reliable. Still my preference.
Old 08-16-18, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome project, glad to see the direction it is going. The derailleur should work with nine speeds, the limit screws are likely out of adjustment. I have set up old bikes with pretty much every possible shifter option out there, and I am liking thumb shifters more and more as time goes by... I am also getting into internal geared hubs more and more as well, which I guess is irrelevant to this.
If it were my bike (which it certainly is not, so please take these opinions with a grain of sand) I would probably use thumbies. They are easy to use, reliable, and aren’t aesthetically detrimental. Rapid fire shifters can be easy to use, but will lack the visual indication of your gear and might look out of place on this bike unless you are using other modern bits. Same goes for grip shifters, with the added benefit of they are cheap, but can be annoying too. My 3 speed Peugeot uses the basic shimano grip shifter and I’m not super excited by it. Downtube friction shifters are reliable, look good, and free (by virtue of you having some) but they require some skill to use. I prefer them on the stem on a bike like this, but many don’t.
Are you going to put fenders on it? You may PM me with mechanical questions. I am also based in LA. Sorry if this is jumbled or has already been sorted, I am too tired to be trying to communicate with other people.
Old 08-21-18, 09:33 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Slowly making progress on this - got my Panaracer Paselas 700x28 on and my new Ahearne Map Bar has arrived, just waiting for my new Soma Sutro stem (which is in between Technomic and standard height) and Rustines grips.

I could use some tips for removing the brake levers: I understand I need to loosen the cable, squeeze the lever and loosen the screw in the void between the lever and hood.

How do I loosen and remove the cable from the lever in such a way that I can reattach once I install the new bar? All the videos I’ve seen involve simply cutting the brake cables to remove ...

thanks!

Old 08-21-18, 10:08 AM
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 171 Posts
Undo the lever on the caliper. Then hold the caliper arms against the rim so that there is slack on the cable. While you have slack, pull the brake cable and housing out from the lever. The lever has a slot in it; pull the cable out of the slot. Then you can get at the fixing bolt.
Old 09-07-18, 05:01 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
My build is mostly complete!

Swapped out 27-inch wheels for 700c 9-speed wheelset off my Jamis road bike and swapped out new brake pads. Added 28-inch all-black Panaracer Pasela tires.

Next time I think I would go with the gumwall or maybe Fairweathers, but my thinking was I didn't want to add any more striping between the black rim, the reflective ring, and then the tires - I worried one more layer might be too busy but now I think the gumwall would look nice, especially with the natural rubber grips.

Soma Sutro 80mm stem with Ahearne Map handlebars. The Sutro is not quite as tall as a Nitto Technomic but taller than standard. The bars have a very slight rise and sweep back a little less than an inch beyond the stem. They're very comfortable but still not stick straight upright position.

Rustines natural rubber grips.

Knog Oi bell in copper.

Husband donated his Cateye LED front and rear lights and the speed/cadence monitor.

Soma Lucas Mini alloy front rack.

MKS Sylvan Touring pedals

Brooks Cambium C17S saddle in Slate

So far it's been great. I am still getting my behind used to riding. The Brooks saddle is definitely harder than what I'm used to but feels pretty comfortable while riding. I just have sit bone bruising after a longer ride, which for me is about 10 miles vs the 1 mile I do to work :-P Hopefully the more I ride the less I will bruise. I like the feel of the hard saddle and I have no experience with leather saddles so if I continue to get soreness in coming months maybe I'll try leather.

I do still need to get the derailleur adjusted but I rarely feel the need to change gears on the rides I've done so it hasn't become an issue yet. I did leave the downtube shifters for now. I also may get a Wald 137 basket to temporarily strap to the front rack for occasional grocery runs.

Last edited by MegMC; 09-07-18 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 05:09 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2383 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,591 Posts
That is a nice build, functional and fun......and based on other posts seems like you have been infected with N+1

Old 09-07-18, 05:31 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by squirtdad
That is a nice build, functional and fun......and based on other posts seems like you have been infected with N+1
It is incredibly virulent! Haha.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-07-18, 07:35 PM
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 171 Posts
Meg, you did a great job! Your bike is adorable (and functional!)

i also have Cambium saddles on a couple bikes and I think they are great for shorter rides (like 20 miles max.) I have several leather saddles (Brooks, Idéale, Fujita) that IMO offer more comfort when they are broken in. But my favorite saddle, the one I use for my longest rides, is the Terry Butterfly. Sooo comfortable!
Old 09-08-18, 09:01 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,673 Times in 1,684 Posts
Beautiful. If that had fenders i would be in love. I have two mixtes i am going to get going on because of you!
Old 09-08-18, 09:25 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7396 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Beautiful. If that had fenders i would be in love. I have two mixtes i am going to get going on because of you!
I thought the same about fenders, but they would be silly to have in Los Angeles, wouldn't they?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-08-18, 09:28 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks guys!
@52telecaster I have skipped fenders for now because ... it never rains in LA!
@Aubergine thanks for the saddle feedback. I have heard lots of good stuff about Terry Butterfly. Once I get more biking bona fides perhaps I will have to build a bike geared to longer rides. Definitely already caught the bug!
Old 09-08-18, 09:34 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
I thought the same about fenders, but they would be silly to have in Los Angeles, wouldn't they?
The few times it rains here in LA it generally pours in extreme amounts - such that I would probably not think of biking. I planned my wedding outdoors in January, which is a very LA thing to do but we were into the fourth year of an insane drought - it basically hadn't rained more than a day or so in four years! The week before, we had intense storming and the park was completely closed for flooding, but luckily was 75F, sunny and unusually green for LA by the following week.
Old 09-08-18, 11:32 AM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
RE the rain in LA - It's kind of funny. Because of the long 5 year + drought, people that have moved here fairly recently had this weird idea that it never rains in LA. Not true. First year I moved hear it rained 35 inches. A couple years back, we finally had a normal winter, and everyone was freaking out that the hills were green. Anyhow, I kept my fenders on that winter, and made good use of them. Hardly anyone rides in the park when it rains. Could have used fenders for a few rides last winter, but didn't bother, as it was pretty dry overall.

There's no beach in LA either...

And back OT - Nice job on the mixte! I think the Paselas look nice in all black. I've kind of over skinwalls. Did it enough BITD. They are perpetually dirty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.