Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Gravel Bike Chain Longevity

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Gravel Bike Chain Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-21, 09:30 AM

Bikes: 1991 GT Tachyon, 1997 Trek 2300, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Expert, & 2017 Specialized Diverse Elite DSW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
I've used the WD-40 dry lube. It wasn't my first choice, but I was away from home and Canadian Tire was my only shopping option at the time and it's what they sell. I see it regularly in several of the local bike shops, so it's probably not terrible. It stopped my squeak and seemed fine for the two weeks I was on holiday, but I don't know that I'd use it long-term. It might be worth considering, however, if it really does share the water-displacing properties of WD-40.
Old 04-30-21, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
I have over 5,000 miles on my chain, with basically zero maintenance. I take ten seconds to spritz on some White Lightning Clean Ride before each ride. It still shifts great.
Old 05-02-21, 06:14 PM

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 406 Posts
On the ever-popular subject of chain wear and wear measurement, I thought I'd toss this in.
While I had my Alfine 11-speed hub up on the rack for an oil change, I checked the chain with four different techniques. The last one was a steel ruler, which revealed that the chain was slightly less than 1/16" longer than a new chain. I couldn't take a photo while holding the ruler in place, but I have images of the other devices.
The Park tool indicates the chain is worn out before the other tools, so (IMO) is more useful as an "early warning" of wear that should be confirmed with a ruler. The Spin Doctor tool was pretty close to the ruler, as was the Shimano tool, though both just indicated the chain was not yet at the wear limit.
Note: My chain may be upside-down.

According to the Park Tools CC-2, the chain is at the replacement wear limit. Here it reads a bit less than 1.0%.

The Spin Doctor tool is a "go/no go" gauge. Here it shows wear less than 1.0%. There's life in the chain yet.

Here the Spin Doctor gauge indicates wear greater than 0.75%.

The Shimano TL-CN42 gauge is another "go/no-go" tool that supposedly is not affected by roller wear. Here it indicates that the chain has some wear left in it.
Old 05-04-21, 10:34 AM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/05/alli...ed-for-gravel/

"Designed for use in dirt and slop, Grax is said to be a “novel hydrophobic lubricant” that repels water and mud more efficiently than any other chain lubricant. The claimed outcome is superior durability and efficiency no matter the conditions, and the company is claiming to best the likes of Squirt, Absolute Black and CeramicSpeed."