Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

What to take along

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-12, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
If you take a $20, make sure you don't forget the single. I did once and it was my bud that sliced his tire. You can bet I made him tear apart his wheel at the end of the ride.
Agree! The $20 is for emergency purchases not for tire booting!
Old 03-02-12, 06:46 PM
Climbers Apprentice

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny first ride

I head out on my first ride. I start out in my cul de sac just to get the feel of clipping in and out of the pedals. I am no farther than 400 feet from the house when the front tire goes flat.

Crap!

Well I wanted to learn how to Change a tire so why not now when I am close to home.

I go back into the garage, take off the wheel, and try to figure out how to use the tire irons. I get the old one off no problem, and put the new tube in, and the put on the new tire.

So far so good.

I pump up the new tube to 90psi and it pops.

I don't have any more tubes, nor do I know why I am popping tubes like crazy.

I take it apart again, look for sharps, but find none.

I give up, go to the store I bout the bike from, and ask for help.

They quickly find a really small (less than an eighth inch long) cut in the tire.

They replace the tire and tube for free and I am on my way.

I came home and did about ten miles, with about 400 feet of elevation gain. Averaged 14.8 mph. Kinda darn slow.

All I can say is I learned two things. One check your tire, and two, for goodness sake, don't ride too far forward on your seat, I did that, and don't even want to talk about the rubbing I took.

My wife reminded me this was all my idea as I sit here fussing.
Old 03-02-12, 07:07 PM

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have several bikes that I ride, so I put this kit together and transfer it as needed. I put it in a Ziploc bag so that I don't lose anything in the transfer.

In the bag I keep the following.
Multi tool
Tire levers
Patch kit
Chain links
Tire boot
Co2 cartridges and filler
Zip ties

Also I keep a Micro pump (pictured) in my Camelbak when I ride my mountain bike, or put it in a mount that is held in place by the bottle cage on the road bikes. The tubes and cell phone I keep in the Camelbak or seat bag depending on which bike I'm riding
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike Kit.jpg (59.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-02-12, 07:32 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't bring my keys with me. Sounds like I'm the only one, which is kind of lonely. I trained my cat to open the door when I get back from a bike ride and let me in.
I don't bring keys either. Combination lock on the house and the condo. On the MH I have other ways.
Old 03-02-12, 07:35 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vesteroid
I came home and did about ten miles, with about 400 feet of elevation gain. Averaged 14.8 mph. Kinda darn slow.
I look forward to the possibility of averaging 14.8 mph over ten miles. Just so you know that there are those of us who think that is a pretty darn good speed.
Old 03-02-12, 07:51 PM

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I always have the same thing, small saddle bag with two tubes, two C02, two tire levers, in a jersey bag I carry phone, multi tool with chain cutter, money. also some food and always water.
Old 03-02-12, 08:53 PM

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On top of all the items already suggested, people in this area seem to like this service.

CAA Bike Assist

https://www.caasco.com/automotive/roa...ike-assist.jsp
Old 03-02-12, 09:04 PM

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I carry what everyone else does but I carry it a little different. I once had a saddle bag come off and lost all of it's contents. I don't want that to happen with my cell phone and keys.

I use a small saddle bag and a "feed bag" on my tope tube. My cell phone, keys & snacks go in the feed bag. If they fall out or the bag comes off, I will see it. In my saddle bag is a Tube, tire levers, rubber gloves, patch kit, small tools, $20 bill, photo copy of my license with address blocked out (cops can figure out who I am if I'm run over - but the bad guys don't know where I live if they steal my bike then realize I am without a cell phone plus I'm 20 miles from home).

For longer or cool weather rides, I also have a 2nd bag that is expandable - I can take my vest or a layer off and store it or visa versa. I can also store a 2nd tube & a thin scull cap.

I have pump on my frame. I am sure the CO2 ones work great, but I always have something else I want to spend $20 on.

Last edited by lenny866; 03-03-12 at 05:49 AM.
Old 03-03-12, 12:05 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't bring my keys with me. Sounds like I'm the only one, which is kind of lonely. I trained my cat to open the door when I get back from a bike ride and let me in.
I rarely carry keys. I usually take a garage door opener.

Oh, and I forgot - I also usually take a twenty and a credit card (drilled out, of course ).

Last edited by CraigB; 03-03-12 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-03-12, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Salsa Vaya, Redline D440, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I strongly recomend a pump verses CO2 you can always pump more but if you are out of CO2....well you are out. Having never used CO2 I cant say for sure but how much faster can it be. You should pump up and deflate your new tube once its installed aand then reinflate I just cant trust having enough CO2
Old 03-03-12, 01:53 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by digger531
I strongly recomend a pump verses CO2 you can always pump more but if you are out of CO2....well you are out. Having never used CO2 I cant say for sure but how much faster can it be. You should pump up and deflate your new tube once its installed aand then reinflate I just cant trust having enough CO2
I agree, which is why I always carry a pump, and only sometimes carry CO2 (a belt-and-suspenders approach, I grant you). CO2 is definitely quick and easy. And it can be a real interesting experience for the fingers, too.
Old 03-03-12, 02:37 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I have three road biikes, (one of which is redundant), and carry the same kit on each.

1.) Depending on the season, (hot or cold weather), and the length of the ride, I'll take one or two water bottles. I have different size bottles, so will take along what I think I'll need.
2.) Under the seat post bottle cage, I'll mount a Lezyne Road Drive pump. CO2 is interesting, but I don't want to generate the landfill waste.
3.) An underseat bag containing:
3a.) three tire irons, (never figured out how to use just two)
3b.) a traditional patch kit
3d.) some glueless patches (they are in a very, very small plastic box)
3e.) a spare tube
3f.) a spare chain quick link
4.) In my jersey back pockets, I'll carry
4a.) in the left rear jersey pocket, in a ziploc baggie; cell phone, driver's license, medical insurance card, emergency contact information, ten dollar bill
4b.) in the right rear jersey pocket; also in a ziploc baggie, small snapshot camera
4c.) in the middle rear jersey pocket; again in a ziploc baggie, another spare tube
4d.) if a ride is more than 50 miles, in a different ziploc baggie, two Gu packets, (but now Gu, a different brand), and two granola bars

Note that I do not carry any spare tools. I make sure my bike is in good mechanical condition at all times. I remove, disassemble, and clean/lubricate my chain, cluster, and chainrings about every 300 miles. On rare occasions, I might carry a single allen wrench if I'm tweaking my seat position. I've been experimenting with different seats lately.
Old 03-03-12, 04:48 PM

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
o.O
not sure if serious
Old 03-03-12, 10:46 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
3d.) some glueless patches (they are in a very, very small plastic box)
I've had very bad luck with these peel-and-stick patches, which is why I switched back to a vulcanizing patch kit. If the patches get too warm, the glue seems to fail. If you leave them sitting in your seat bag for too long, they're also prone to failure. I've had both Slime and Park peel-and-stick patches fail on me! Gluing doesn't take much longer and it's much more reliable in my experience...
Old 03-04-12, 12:27 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
I've had very bad luck with these peel-and-stick patches, which is why I switched back to a vulcanizing patch kit. If the patches get too warm, the glue seems to fail. If you leave them sitting in your seat bag for too long, they're also prone to failure. I've had both Slime and Park peel-and-stick patches fail on me! Gluing doesn't take much longer and it's much more reliable in my experience...
Thanks for the tip. I've just recently started carrying these. Lezyne has some as does Park. Have only had to use it once so far, and the tube is still holding up. Based on what you said, I'll reconsider using them. Maybe I should only use them for emergency usage?

Also forgot to add that I carry a house key to let myself back into the house when I get back.
Old 03-04-12, 10:03 AM
Starting over

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I also prefer the vulcanizing patch kits. But be aware that those, too, can have long-term problems once the tube of vulcanizing "glue" has been opened. Don't be surprised if out on the roadside, you open up a 2 year old tube only to find it completely dried up.
Old 03-04-12, 10:12 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there something special about the patches themselves. Could one use another tube and cut a patch out of it and glue it on?
Old 03-04-12, 10:35 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
Thanks for the tip. I've just recently started carrying these. Lezyne has some as does Park. Have only had to use it once so far, and the tube is still holding up. Based on what you said, I'll reconsider using them. Maybe I should only use them for emergency usage?
That seems to be the prevailing wisdom: use them on the road (if you must), but replace them with a vulcanizing patch when you get back home. Gluing only takes an extra minute or two, so I simply gave up on the glueless patches.
Old 03-04-12, 01:20 PM

Bikes: Pre-Grant Peterson Bridgestone Mixte, Gazelle Champion Mondial Semirace Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a handlebar bag with a map flap on top. Inside is the patch kit, folded up skirt, container of underarm deo, banana, multigrain bars, an apple, camera, little purse, small windbreaker. Depends a lot on the day. If it's just a trip to the city (25 miles round trip) it's just my purse and a few things. If it's a trip to the sea, it's a lot more food.
Old 03-04-12, 04:25 PM
Starting over

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro56
Is there something special about the patches themselves. Could one use another tube and cut a patch out of it and glue it on?
I wouldn't swear to it, Jethro, but yes, I believe there is something special about the patch itself, causing it to react with the vulcanizing compound.
Old 03-04-12, 07:19 PM

Bikes: '10 Scattante CFR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my 30 mile day rides on GatorSkins I take two tubes, three 16 gram CO2, one steel core tire lever and three hex wrenches in a small seat bag. Wallet, keys, garage opener, gate opener, and cell phone in jersey pockets. One 24oz water bottle.
On the 65 mile ride I'll include a patch kit, pump and two more water bottles.
Normally I like to partially inflate, deflate, and re inflate a tire when using a pump. Using CO2 I'll just inflate very little at first and then inspect the tire and make sure that the tube is not showing as I work my way around the wheel pushing the tire away from the rim. Then I'll complete the inflation.