Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Helmet straps may strangle you in event of accident?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Helmet straps may strangle you in event of accident?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-15, 10:58 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Bumpers on cars have killed people . . . and so have airbags . . .
So eliminate bumpers and get rid of airbags and all motorists will be safer?
I wear a helmet and have crashed a few times at 30+ mph . . . no strangulation issues!
Old 10-01-15, 11:19 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
What a silly board.
Old 10-02-15, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18576 Post(s)
Liked 16,042 Times in 7,532 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
It's those of you who wear helmets that are scared of falling sky. I prefer to be hit by the sky than strangled.
Naw. I am scared of suffering permanent damage or death from after hitting my head and bleeding due to the fact that I take blood thinners. Then there is the case of a woman I knew who worked at a LBS. She crashed at pretty slow speed when a car pulled out front of her. I went to see her in the hospital after she had been awakened from her medically-induced coma to treat her closed-head injury that would almost certainly have been prevented had she had a brain bucket on. I nearly tossed my lunch when I saw her. The bright side was that she wasn't strangled and was breathing, albeit through a tube.
Old 10-02-15, 04:27 PM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Naw. I am scared of suffering permanent damage or death from after hitting my head and bleeding due to the fact that I take blood thinners. Then there is the case of a woman I knew who worked at a LBS. She crashed at pretty slow speed when a car pulled out front of her. I went to see her in the hospital after she had been awakened from her medically-induced coma to treat her closed-head injury that would almost certainly have been prevented had she had a brain bucket on. I nearly tossed my lunch when I saw her. The bright side was that she wasn't strangled and was breathing, albeit through a tube.
I can't take blood thinners because of a (congenital)brain aneurysm. So, I sort of identify with you on health severity.
Old 10-02-15, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
This is not what I found to be the case. If I pull the helmet forward and downward toward my face/nose, it sort of revolves about an axis that is near or around the throat and chin area, with the straps slightly moving from chin to throat (i.e. backward, or toward one's back).

If I fasten it so tight that it can't move, then I'm already not far from being strangled.
Learn to adjust your straps and wear a helmet properly and you will have no problems with strangulation. Wear a helmet or don't, its your choice, but this is a very silly argument.
Old 10-02-15, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
It's those of you who wear helmets that are scared of falling sky. I prefer to be hit by the sky than strangled.

Anyway, it seems to be quite easy to get the strap cutting at the throat at a sudden strong impact that lifts the back of the helmet upward so the helmet slips forward and downward to your face (so the strap goes "up" tightening at your throat. No matter how tight and properly you had worn your helmet, the sudden forceful impact can move it.
Just to give your theory the benefit of the doubt, I tried on my helmet with the straps on the loose side. I pushed the helmet forward from the back as you describe, pulled it straight up, and tried several other variations and in every case the strap pulled against my jaw, not my trachea. Even when I pushed or pulled so hard as to make it very unpleasant, I could easily breathe. IMHO any impact that would cause a helmet strap to cut into or crush the trachea would probably break your neck, crack your skull, or take your head clean off with or without a helmet. The only scenario I can think of where the helmet strap would choke you might be if the strap and head band were both extremely loose and the helmet got hung up on something. But again, the far greater risk would be that your neck would be broken by hyperextension before you would strangle.

I searched for any information on the subject from reliable medical, scholarly, or public safety organizations and all I could come up with was a few, very isolated reports of children having been strangled when their head became entrapped in playground equipment or, in one case, a ski lift (ski helmet of course) and the weight of their bodies hung from the strap for several minutes. I found one article that alluded to a hyoid bone fracture attributed to a motorcycle helmet strap in a high speed motorcycle vs motorcycle collision but the conclusion that the fracture was caused by the strap, and not contact with part of one of the motorcycles or another object, was poorly supported.

Yep, you are more likely to be hit by a meteorite than to be strangled by your bicycle helmet.
Old 10-02-15, 08:47 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
Learn to adjust your straps and wear a helmet properly and you will have no problems with strangulation. Wear a helmet or don't, its your choice, but this is a very silly argument.
+1 Welcome to Advocacy & Safety.
Old 10-02-15, 09:49 PM
vol

GravelMN #31 : Thank you, I appreciate it.
Old 10-14-15, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking on my list of unlikely ways to die on my bicycle, tree limb falling on my head trumps strangulation by helmet. Who knows, maybe the helmet would even save me from the tree limb death?
Old 10-14-15, 01:15 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If you wear your helmet with the straps loose, you might as well not be wearing it IMO. In an accident it will probably either flip off your head or cause more harm than good.

Most people (the cycling public that is, not necessarily the people serious enough to study these things) in my observations are wearing their helmets with the straps so loose they're going to be basically useless.
Old 10-14-15, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 2,996 Times in 1,842 Posts
The only way you're going to get strangled by your straps is if you wear them super loose and ride very fast through the branches of a low hanging tree that catches your helmet and holds it tight, pulling it off your head as you ride by. That will cause the straps to be pulled back into your throat. Do it hard enough and it might crush your trachea. Maybe. Two easy solutions though: (1) wear your helmet straps appropriately tight. I know you think not having full range of motion in your jaw won't let you breathe, but you'll be able to breathe/drink just fine. (2) don't ride through the thick branches of low hanging trees. Have to be very thick to not break when they caught your helmet. Thick enough that they'd probably mess up your face (especially if you weren't wearing a helmet) as you rode through them.

Old 10-29-15, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What if I fall off and my head gets stuck between the spokes?
Old 10-29-15, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 2,218 Times in 1,490 Posts
Use 36 spoke wheels and your head won't fit. Or carry wire cutters like those things to break car glass under water
Old 10-29-15, 08:51 PM

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
This is not about helmet debates so I'm not posting it in the helmet thread. I've never worn a helmet and don't like to, but I just got one on a whim out of curiosity as it was very cheap and turned out to fit me well. Not sure if I'll ever wear it, but even if not, might keep it for whoever will buy my used bike in future .

Here is why I post:
While trying on the helmet, I found that, since I (and perhaps most people) don't fasten it very tightly, so in the event of an accident when something (curb, vehicle,...) hits the head slightly upward on the back, pushing the helmet toward your face, with the straps still fastened around you chin (as when you pull the front of the helmet down toward your eyes/nose), then the straps would be cutting into your throat. Since the impact could be very strong, it seems like a risk of being strangled, so you may not die of head trauma, but maybe strangled to death . This is how I felt while trying it on. I wonder if this is a possibility or ever happened in reality?
My late father-in-law used a similar argument against automobile seat belts. If you had an accident they would keep you from exiting the car. Uh-huh! Around the same time a neighbor was involved in an accident in which his car rolled. The youngest child, a boy was not strapped in and was ejected through a shattered window but miraculously escaped being rolled over by the car.

Rich
Old 10-29-15, 10:49 PM
vol

Originally Posted by Rich Gibson
My late father-in-law used a similar argument against automobile seat belts. If you had an accident they would keep you from exiting the car. Uh-huh! Around the same time a neighbor was involved in an accident in which his car rolled. The youngest child, a boy was not strapped in and was ejected through a shattered window but miraculously escaped being rolled over by the car.

Rich
Thanks for sharing. That could be even more true if the car catches fire.
Old 10-30-15, 02:12 PM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
This is not about helmet debates so I'm not posting it in the helmet thread. I've never worn a helmet and don't like to, but I just got one on a whim out of curiosity as it was very cheap and turned out to fit me well. Not sure if I'll ever wear it, but even if not, might keep it for whoever will buy my used bike in future .

Here is why I post:
While trying on the helmet, I found that, since I (and perhaps most people) don't fasten it very tightly, so in the event of an accident when something (curb, vehicle,...) hits the head slightly upward on the back, pushing the helmet toward your face, with the straps still fastened around you chin (as when you pull the front of the helmet down toward your eyes/nose), then the straps would be cutting into your throat. Since the impact could be very strong, it seems like a risk of being strangled, so you may not die of head trauma, but maybe strangled to death . This is how I felt while trying it on. I wonder if this is a possibility or ever happened in reality?
I guess we can choke to death on chewing gum too.....
Old 10-30-15, 03:19 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
If people think through the cost analysis of wearing a helmet, we might see fewer helmets, not more. After reasoning like "a helmet costs $100. If I wear one for the rest of my riding days, say 25 years and replace them every 5 years, that's $500. The risk of it saving my noggin is say 1 in 100. $500 / (1/100) = $50,000. Now, is the content of my noggin worth $50,000?" Now, I believe mine is. But in Portland I see guys on cell phones riding brakeless fix gears and no helmets. I will suggest that perhaps they have done this same analysis and decided the money would be poorly spent.

Ben
Right idea, but since you've mentioned this a couple of times I thought I'd point out that the odds of losing the contents of your noggin are much less than 1 in 100. One in a million is closer (but not there yet). So by your calculation, more accurately it would need to be $500 million worth, to wear the helmet. Since you seem like you want to persuade people to wear one, you might want to adjust your argument. As stated, with realistic odds, it's not very compelling.

I'd probably prefer to pose first a nominal value of lifetime earnings, or a general "life value" used by government estimations. Such as the EPA for example. Say that's 10 million for a specific age, for example. Then say, one in a hundred thousand odds of a serious head injury (not necessarily losing everything, but serious). That's $100 risk. A helmet is less than that, and you might only need one ever, so in that case it would make more sense from a strict monetary calculation.

I realize that a lot more granularity than that is needed. But realistically 100 bucks isn't going to make or break you over a lifetime. The real key that everything hinges on is, what are those odds in reality? one in 100 like you say, one in ten million? At either extreme it's a no-brainer decision. Somewhere in the middle though, it's a coin toss.

We'd probably agree though that the odds of choking on the helmet straps are way less than the odds of a head injury. There are some records of small children choking on playgrounds, where they slipped through something wider than their heads and narrower than the helmet. I couldn't find any examples of something similar for adults though.
Old 10-30-15, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rich Gibson

Rich
I'd heard that too, and probably said it myself a time or two. I'm sure that it's happened. But it turns out that being "thrown clear" in an auto accident is generally a much greater risk than otherwise, so the argument is refuted.
Old 10-30-15, 03:40 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I'd heard that too, and probably said it myself a time or two. I'm sure that it's happened. But it turns out that being "thrown clear" in an auto accident is generally a much greater risk than otherwise, so the argument is refuted.
I saw the results of being "thrown clear" on the interstate in Gallop NM, it was a rather ghastly sight.
Old 10-30-15, 03:49 PM
vol

Reminder: this is not about whether one should wear a helmet--let's not risk this thread being moved to the Helmets debate thread.
Old 10-31-15, 09:01 AM

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Reminder: this is not about whether one should wear a helmet--let's not risk this thread being moved to the Helmets debate thread.
really is this about the potential danger of being strangled? As a reasonable person considering the very remote possibility of this happening and I agree it could. Helmet too loose and too big an ill fitting thrown in an odd position while unconscious and paralyzed or unmovable due to other injuries or conditions. Even unconscious the brain fights for life and would cough or otherwise move when loosing air in an involuntary reaction. The same type of reaction that prevents one committed to drowning themselves in a bathtub to not succeed. And if all of the events come together in a perfect scenario sure it could happen.

Not likely or even remotely likely or remotely remotely likely......

If this is not justification for not wearing a helmet although a very very weak one then what is it? By posting this question it would seem that you want to take the helmet thread discussion out of the helmet thread and have so far been successful.

You took this risk in post #1
Old 10-31-15, 09:32 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,586 Times in 1,071 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Right idea, but since you've mentioned this a couple of times I thought I'd point out that the odds of losing the contents of your noggin are much less than 1 in 100. One in a million is closer (but not there yet). So by your calculation, more accurately it would need to be $500 million worth, to wear the helmet. Since you seem like you want to persuade people to wear one, you might want to adjust your argument. As stated, with realistic odds, it's not very compelling.
Even less compelling since helmet wearing is unlikely to significantly alter the odds of suffering severe/fatal trauma from high energy traffic collisions/accidents.
Old 10-31-15, 09:58 AM
vol

Originally Posted by Gallo
[blah blah....]
All I was trying to get opinions on is whether it's possible or how likely it is. The consensus here apparently is that it is extremely unlikely. So far so good.
Old 10-31-15, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Even less compelling since helmet wearing is unlikely to significantly alter the odds of suffering severe/fatal trauma from high energy traffic collisions/accidents.
I'm not trying to argue either way, just trying to be helpful to 79pmooney in case someone did want to confront him about it. That sort of thing does happen on the internet ...
Old 10-31-15, 12:11 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,586 Times in 1,071 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
All I was trying to get opinions on is whether it's possible or how likely it is. The consensus here apparently is that it is extremely unlikely. So far so good.
You mean you really didn't know the answer about how likely such an event? That doesn't seem likely either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.