Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Order of easy upgrades that get a smoother ride?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Order of easy upgrades that get a smoother ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-23, 10:45 AM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4448 Post(s)
Liked 4,107 Times in 2,742 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
The only problem I have with a suspension seatpost like this is that your saddle height effectively changes with every flex.
Yes but it doesn't go up and down but down and back so it doesn't harm the knees like a pogo post would do. It is isn't perfect but I can say it is comfortable and I really don't notice it under me which is a good thing.
Old 04-23-23, 11:37 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6321 Post(s)
Liked 4,911 Times in 3,384 Posts
Your position on the bike might help too. I find that with the more aero position I've been using that it is easier to un-weight my butt from the saddle as I go over bumps. When I'm sitting more upright, it's a little more difficult to get the weight off the saddle.

I'm not standing up, it's more like I just hover over the saddle slightly with out the effort needed to stand up.

But good tires, which your GP5000's are should go a long way already. So maybe you are just too picky or perhaps need to get a fat tire bike and resolve yourself to a very comfortable but very lackluster for personal performance stat's riding.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/yu...ngfattirebikes
Old 04-23-23, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WT21
I have an aluminum 2017 Tiagra Domane with the rear ISO speed coupling and a carbon fork, running 28c Conti 5000 tires. It's a fine ride, though I'd like to make things a bit smoother for some rough pavement patches in my ride. I only ride this bike on the road, so we're not talking gravel-level comfort.

Wondering about ease and cost of upgrades that could help:
  1. Seat post - current seat post is round aluminum. Would an upgrade to CF help a lot? Clearly this is the easiest one
  2. Handlebars - like the seat post, the handlebars are alloy. Would an upgrade to CF help a lot? This would be a bit harder, but I don't mind a project and I've not worked on bikes much before, so this could be fun. This is a non-integrated handlebar with mechanical shifting and rim brakes, so might be the easiest handlebar change? And what about the stem? That's alloy too. Any reason to go CF on the stem?
  3. Tires - I changed out from the stock 32c Hard Case lite tires to 28c Conti 5000 on the suggestion of my LBS. I gained a +1MPH average, which was greater and the handling improved, too! But, this didn't help the ride. What if I went with a good 28 tubeless? Rims are TLR. Or should I just go back to 32, but a better 32 than the OEM? But with an internal width of 17, I wonder that 32 would impact the current handling.
  4. Wheels - running the OEM Bontrager wheels (622-17), which are alloy and weigh about 1690g. Would CF wheels help a lot here? I'm a little hesitant to invest in CF wheels for this rim brake bike, though. So unless I would get amazing gains here, I am wondering if I can avoid this and just do the top 3?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) Reasonable tire pressure for your weight (Search for “Berto Tire Pressure Chart”)

2) Bigger tires (Try Conti 32’s)

3) Latex tubes

4) Thicker bar tape
Old 04-23-23, 03:18 PM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Your position on the bike might help too. I find that with the more aero position I've been using that it is easier to un-weight my butt from the saddle as I go over bumps. When I'm sitting more upright, it's a little more difficult to get the weight off the saddle.

I'm not standing up, it's more like I just hover over the saddle slightly with out the effort needed to stand up.

But good tires, which your GP5000's are should go a long way already. So maybe you are just too picky or perhaps need to get a fat tire bike and resolve yourself to a very comfortable but very lackluster for personal performance stat's riding.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/yu...ngfattirebikes
While it may seem like Captain Obvious, a fat bike would certainly be way overkill for road cycling. Like anything else, follow the laws of diminishing returns. Going from 28mm to 32 or 35mm slicks will get you a much improved ride than going from 35mm slicks to mountain bike sized slicks and without giving up speed.