Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are galvanized steel spokes magnetic?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Are galvanized steel spokes magnetic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-23, 06:38 PM

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 122 Posts
For the OP, I have a cheap modern replacement 26" wheel that has galvanized spokes and I assume normal nipple threads, so they are out there.
Old 06-30-23, 06:56 PM

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 723 Posts
Most of this thread's not about the actual question, which is itself quite interesting.

I just went out with a magnet and tested everything in sight. Here are some findings.

Galvanized steel spokes are magnetic, for sure. Some stainless spokes I have are also, but not all are equal.
Sapim Force triple butted were quite magnetic, but not quite as much as galvanized plain steel. Almost, though.
DT Alpine III triple butted were lightly magnetic, though noticeably less than Sapim Force.
Marwi/Union black painted stainless straight-gauge were not magnetic at all.

I think this is due to a combination of alloy composition and drawing/cold-working processes that the spoke has been through. Both the alloy composition AND the cold working can change the crystal structure of the metal to include a higher proportion of the ferromagnetic austenite or ferrite forms of iron, thus increasing magnetic properties.

I wonder what alloys stainless spokes are, and how they differ between brands. They may not fall into a defined class. Maybe they are proprietary. Once I tried looking for this information, but I don't think I ever found anything concrete. One thing is for sure, a triple butted spoke has had way more cold working done to it than a straight gauge one.
Old 06-30-23, 07:11 PM

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Probably a stupid question, but I'm wondering if galvanized steel spokes are magnetic (I'm assuming SS spokes are not because SS isn't typically). Not really a C&V question, but I figure most galvanized steel spokes are on C&V (or at least old, if not classic) wheels
Typically if they are hot dip galvanized, they are high carbon (magnetic). Electroplated zinc could be protection for mangaloy or a number of non steel non magnetic alloys.
Not all stainless steel is low carbon (non-magnetic) Some (low stain) stainless actually rusts.

It's easy to see the difference between electroplate and hot dip. Hot dip is grey and sometimes grainy, Zinc electroplate is shiny almost like chrome.

Last edited by Schweinhund; 06-30-23 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-01-23, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 800 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
...cold working can change the crystal structure of the metal to include a higher proportion of the ferromagnetic austenite or ferrite forms of iron, thus increasing magnetic properties.
You can see the effect of cold-workng on a stainless-clad refridgerator; oftentimes a magnet will stick to a corner, but not in the middle.
Old 07-01-23, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4281 Post(s)
Liked 3,007 Times in 1,849 Posts
Well, when I stuck a stack of rare earth magnets into my spoke box, all of them stuck to it. Not sure it's a strong enough attraction to go through a carbon rim (and something like a thin shop rag to prevent scratching the rim), but I'll probably try when it comes. Had the stack of rare earth magnets (1": x 1" by 2" or so) from when I used them to provide resistance back when I rode rollers. The ones I put in there from my builds (usually order ~2 extra of each size) were Sapim stainless steel, but others were from wheels, I'd disassembled to get the hubs for new builds, so who knows what they are.

Last edited by himespau; 07-01-23 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Cat hit the mouse button to submit before I was done typing. Seriously, she gets jealous.
Old 07-01-23, 10:24 PM

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
You can see the effect of cold-workng on a stainless-clad refridgerator; oftentimes a magnet will stick to a corner, but not in the middle.
Oh yeah, exhausts too. You can sometimes stick a magnet where the muffler end plates are swaged on, but not on the middle of the body of the muffler.
Old 07-02-23, 02:31 AM

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Cheaper stainless = higher iron content = magnetic attraction.
Old 07-02-23, 09:37 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3620 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by ralphs
Just curious- do the French use a non-standard thread on spoke nipples?
Yes. It's only relatively recently that spoke threads pretty much standardized on 56tpi.