Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

B-25 overhead

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

B-25 overhead

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-12, 06:29 PM
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I recently interviewed some of the last ww2 heroes. One of them was at one point shuttled about by a Liberator, in the bomb bay, on a mission of extracting secret service agents. After 67 years, he still got excited recalling all the noise, clamour and excitement of the experience. Some mighty machines, they are, and they were invaluable to the course of history.
Old 05-12-12, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
No idea there were this many vintage WW II plane buffs here. But why not? :> I'm a fan of the fighters. P-51, the inimitable and beautiful Spitfire and the fantastic Bf 109 E, but especially, the sleek, gorgeous Me 262.

Nothing quite like the sound of a Sptifire's or P-51's Merlin engine. Sublime music.

Speaking of WW II planes, have you all heard/read the story of the buried Spitfires in Burma? Amazing story.
P-51 is the best internal combustion you'll ever hear, short of a 50's Testarossa V-12. Got to hear one once from the tarmac taxi and take off. Still stands the hair up on my neck thinking about it. Also got a chance to look at one of the Packard built Merlin mills taken apart. Absolutely beautiful workmanship. Every internal surface smoothed and polished, not a sharp edge or casting mark left anywhere. And damn near every fastener safty wired. Just a gogeous machine.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54616231@N04/
Old 05-12-12, 07:00 PM
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
In the under the radar Steven Spielberg movie "Empire of the Sun" a young Christian Bale yells "P-51, Cadillac of the skies !!!

Watch the whole scene or just when the Mustangs roll in at 4 minutes or so. Gave me goose bumps watching it then, and when they fly into my local airport in the fall, the goose bumps return. The B-17, B-24, B-25 and the Mustang overhead for two days, it doesn't get much better than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tztl6ZEjrw4

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 05-12-12, 07:16 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Otis
P-51 is the best internal combustion you'll ever hear, short of a 50's Testarossa V-12. Got to hear one once from the tarmac taxi and take off. Still stands the hair up on my neck thinking about it. Also got a chance to look at one of the Packard built Merlin mills taken apart. Absolutely beautiful workmanship. Every internal surface smoothed and polished, not a sharp edge or casting mark left anywhere. And damn near every fastener safty wired. Just a gogeous machine.
I don’t know about that. The Merlin engines in the Spitfire and Hurricane fighters were awesome sounding also.
Old 05-12-12, 07:24 PM

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by silvercreek
I don’t know about that. The Merlin engines in the Spitfire and Hurricane fighters were awesome sounding also.
i love world war two era bombers (and all military planes of that era) but when I see them in the air, I always think of this comic:

..."this is what it sounded like to die in the 40's"
Old 05-12-12, 08:26 PM
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 80 Posts
Yeah, vintage planes are way cool, but so far beyond my budget it's not even funny. That's what's so nice about old bicycles-- there is really very llittle that is seriously beyond reach, even for someone raising a family on a Mexican teacher's salary. Also, if you crash your bike it's usually not that big a deal.

Hear about that P-40 they just found in the Sahara?
Old 05-12-12, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 152 Posts
I live in a country area and was lucky to see at least two dozen or more WWI and WWII fighters and bombers formation flying from one air show to another over my home. The sound and rumble was amazing filling all my senses like going back in time and watching fleet of planes headed for a bombing run.
Planes also do training flights and aerobatics over my home, plenty of biplanes and fighters a P40 spent two weeks training for a show.

This is my model airfield at home and two of many planes I have.

Old 05-12-12, 08:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recall hearing one of the restorers from Duxford (the primary British air repository of restored, flying warbirds) recalling a conversation he had with the rebuilder at Rolls-Royce who was in charge of the engine rebuild for the early Messerschmitt Bf-109 (an Emil, I think) they were working on. The RR tech said, after inspecting the crankshaft of the DB601, "don't damage this, as it simply cannot be replicated on existing machinery." I found that quite an impressive testament to the build quality.
Old 05-12-12, 09:12 PM

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if this was the same B-25 I saw flying along the central Florida coast a few weeks ago. Neat aircraft. I'm dating myself, but my dad trained in B-25's near the end of WWII. The war ended before he saw active service.

I love the sound of those old radial engines too and had a surprise one day a few years ago. I was in north Seattle and saw a restored Boeing 307 (passenger version of the B-17) on a test flight, heard the radial rattle as I was fueling up my car and looked up. It struck me as odd because there wasn't enough radial rattle coming from those four engines. Turns out it was just about out of fuel, running on one engine at that point, and the crew had to ditch that old beauty in Elliot Bay, only a few dozen yards from shore. Last I heard it was going to be repaired.
Old 05-12-12, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Nice job rootboy. Looks like the one I saw last year.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ME262.jpg (98.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-12-12, 09:40 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
If you did that whole model in an afternoon I'm going to faint, and then send you a P-38 to do. The Lightning is probably my favorite WWII era aircraft, last summer I read a book detailing the history of the Army's top two aces in the Pacific, both who flew the P-38. It's a great read, if anyone is interested I'll mail them the book. I think I just added another TODO on my list of things to do on my vacation this week, get down to the Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison. Now that I've got a 50mm prime lens for the camera I may be able to get some decent shots indoors there.
If you want to get in to the nitty-gritty of the P-38, read Warren Bodie's book: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/as...ribtothecac-20 . Amazing detail, including proposals for versions never built. (Including one mounting a humongous cannon down the centerline. The pilot was relocated and nearly straddled the barrel.)

As Zippy pointed out, the B-25 was probably heading out from the Chino Airshow. A relation (what is niece's husband's brother anyway?) took photos. They had two P-38's flying around:

Among others:

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..

Last edited by Jeff Wills; 05-12-12 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-12-12, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
The Lyons Air Museum is literally on the same street that I live on. Very cool place. General Lyons himself taxied it in place on opening day.

Sad but true. The B-25 was a weapon of mass destruction. The sound we love today must of been a terror to those on the receiving end.
Old 05-12-12, 10:19 PM
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
The "Stangs and Lightnings are indeed cool. Prefer the P-51B and C over the D myself. And there is nothing quite like the sound of a P-38 in flight. But this is the one that does it for me.

Whistling Death....

Click my sig and you will see some of my photos from various air mueums.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 05-12-12, 11:48 PM

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
!?!?!?!?
Old 05-12-12, 11:52 PM

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I got to visit the Paul Garber facility (the old restoration and storage facility for the National Air and Space Museum, now more or less inactive) back in the early 80s. They were restoring a plane that looked just like that. I know that's not theirs, they don't fly their stuff. I'm thinkin there weren't more than one made...
Old 05-13-12, 03:40 AM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
!?!?!?!?
That's the Chino Planes of Fame Northrop model N9MB Flying Wing. It first flew in 1942. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_N-9M

YouTube video of the N9MB in flight. There's a B-25 on the ramp as N9MB taxis for takeoff in Palm Springs.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Last edited by Scooper; 05-13-12 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-13-12, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Soylent
Nice job rootboy. Looks like the one I saw last year.

Thanks Soylent. Is that the 262 in Munich?
Old 05-13-12, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by CV-6
Wow. Fantastic photo. The good old Corsair.
You know, for instruments of death and war, fighter planes are, to my mind, some of the most beautiful things made by the hands of men.
Old 05-13-12, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by jbchybridrider

Beautiful RC planes.
Old 05-13-12, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by ScottRyder
In the under the radar Steven Spielberg movie "Empire of the Sun" a young Christian Bale yells "P-51, Cadillac of the skies !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tztl6ZEjrw4
Scott
That was Christian Bale!? Ha. Never knew that. Yes, Scott, one of my favorite movie scenes. High speed low passes from Mustangs. Goose bumps is right!

Last edited by rootboy; 05-13-12 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-13-12, 05:13 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
The "Stangs and Lightnings are indeed cool. Prefer the P-51B and C over the D myself. And there is nothing quite like the sound of a P-38 in flight. But this is the one that does it for me.

Whistling Death....

Click my sig and you will see some of my photos from various air mueums.
Reminds me of "Pappy" Boyington and the Black Sheep Squadron.
Old 05-13-12, 05:25 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
As a kid, our National Guard unit still had P-51s . Great planes . My Dad loved the Corsairs, and the close air support they gave in the Pacific , during the war . Sound of death to some, sound of salvation to others .
Old 05-13-12, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Flying Merkel
The sound we love today must of been a terror to those on the receiving end.
Indeed. The sound of a Merlin-engined P-51 is magnificent, which I can say from the comfort of this chair and in retrospect.
I'm thankful I never had to hear, or see one, on my tail.

Here's to the magnificent men who flew these wonderful machines in battle. There aren't many of them left.
Old 05-13-12, 06:36 AM
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 903 Posts
Sadly, a vintage B-17 Crashed and burned outside chicago last year https://photos.denverpost.com/mediace...ide-chicago/#2
Old 05-13-12, 06:42 AM

Oh. That is sad.
This is an amazing story, which unfortunately, has turned sort of sad and ugly.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/w...-in-Burma.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.