Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road cycling in street clothes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road cycling in street clothes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-12, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It all depends on the type of rides you are interested in doing. As you had commented in earlier post your interest is to mainly get around, so street clothes I guess would be fine. But why would you want a road bike if you are just riding around town, wouldn't a hybrid be better?

If you want to get into longer/faster rides then your probably going to realize at some point why people are wearing this skin tight clothing, it's not just to fit in, it has a very functional purpose.

Not for nothing, but if one of my friends asked me this same question I'd say yes, you need to wear the bike clothes and if you don't want to wear them, maybe rethink the type of bike you want to be riding...
Old 09-25-12, 10:59 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by escarpment
I made the mistake of biking in a slacks, shirt, and tie, to work one day. I spent the first 30 min in the bathroom drying myself off, And the next 2 hours not getting out of my chair because of the giant sweat stain on my back.

none the less, I rarely feel justified in my skin suit just to shave seconds off my record setting attempts.
Of course, humidity makes a huge difference. 105F in Sacramento feels like 85F in Chicago.
Old 09-25-12, 11:23 AM
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by m2ber04
It all depends on the type of rides you are interested in doing. As you had commented in earlier post your interest is to mainly get around, so street clothes I guess would be fine. But why would you want a road bike if you are just riding around town, wouldn't a hybrid be better?

If you want to get into longer/faster rides then your probably going to realize at some point why people are wearing this skin tight clothing, it's not just to fit in, it has a very functional purpose.

Not for nothing, but if one of my friends asked me this same question I'd say yes, you need to wear the bike clothes and if you don't want to wear them, maybe rethink the type of bike you want to be riding...
+1.

I'd also add that, we really should respect the sport, regardless of the sport. And particularly the more serious or committed we become. Wearing a football jersey to play softball, or vice versa, even in casual gameplay, is, IMHO, uncool. Denim cutoffs for golf, uncool. Running shoes for tennis, uncool. Ad infinitum.

There are exceptions, of course; I'm a big believer in run what you brung, so if that's all you got, by all means use it. But don't try to make a "statement" by being the guy in street clothes on a group ride.
Old 09-25-12, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You can't be serious, can you?
Old 09-25-12, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started out wearing basketball shorts and t-shirts.....

Then evolved into wearing cycling, padded shorts underneath basketball shorts and still with a t-shirt up top....

Finally, as I started doing rides longer than 20 miles, I realized it was more about function and ditched the basketball shorts, but stubbornly kept the cotton t-shirts going....

Then summer came around in SoCal and I ditched the cotton t-shirt, went with Under Armor "wicking" t-shirts with cycling bibs underneath....

Finally, two months ago I said, "To hell with it" and went full on roadie with cycling jerseys and bib shorts. The rear pockets are functional on the jersey for extra Cliff Bars, sunglasses, water bottles, iPod, etc. on rides longer than 30 miles. I still think cycling jerseys and bibs look ridiculous, but I don't really care anymore.

The only time I ride in regular clothes these days are leisurely rides with my wife and kids around the neighborhood.
Old 09-25-12, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts
When I rode in the 70s, cycling gear was very uncommon. Most people rode in street clothes. I don't really think it's integral to riding that you be 'properly' attired.

Been back riding for about a year now. I started wearing only street clothes, but have now gone to bike shorts as I do find them more comfortable. Usually just wear a plain tee shirt though.
Old 09-25-12, 11:55 AM

Bikes: Felt F1C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I make Chipotle runs on my SHIV every so often wearing work attire...
Old 09-25-12, 12:19 PM
Recusant Iconoclast

Originally Posted by jon c.
When I rode in the 70s.......
.......uphill, both ways, in the snow, before the internet, Garmin, or Starbucks.....yeah, that's not gonna work.
Old 09-25-12, 01:14 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Why would that matter? Is there something magical about drop bars that magnetically attracts spandex?
The saddles typically on most road bikes, and to a lesser degree the position on the bike, make cycling shorts a really good idea for a road bike ride of any length.

Up right position, and a more cushy saddle typical to a hybrid makes it easier to ride in regular pants or shorts.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-25-12, 01:37 PM

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Joseph Gordon Levit pulls off street clothes in premium rush. Although I did it first. Minus the bike chain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 09-25-12, 01:59 PM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
As long as I was wearing cycling shorts under my street cloths, I could handle it.
But the days of cycling + underwear are long behind me.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-25-12, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joseph Gordon Levit pulls off street clothes in premium rush. Although I did it first. Minus the bike chain.
Its also a bit of a subculture thing. In holland you will not find roadies wearing a Bern helmet. Here, cycling as a sport and the gear go hand in hand. The "bike messenger" subculture is pretty much non-existent, as are people on roadbikes (fixie or not) who intentionally do not to look like roadies. Obviously, if you are not cycling for exercise or sport it does not matter what you wear. If you do, you will convert anyway sooner or later.
Old 09-25-12, 02:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You can't be serious, can you?
Yes I'm serious...If I were to use a bike with the sole reason to run errands and put around town I'd probably be much happier with a hybrid.
Old 09-25-12, 02:35 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mpath
.......uphill, both ways, in the snow, before the internet, Garmin, or Starbucks.....yeah, that's not gonna work.
Having grown up in nothern Indiana, I can say some of us old timers really did ride in the snow both ways. Our parents weren't going to drive us just because it was snowing back then.

On the street clothes, I wear street clothes all the time for short trips. Though, I have a beater sport touring(old fashioned diamond frame) road bike with cage platform pedals instead of clipons for such trips.
Old 09-25-12, 02:39 PM

Bikes: '11 Fuji SL1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wear regular shirts and MTB baggy shorts.

well, i sometimes use underamour tops but mostly try to look like i have regular clothes when im riding.

i do use helmet, gloves, cycling shoes, shades though.
Old 09-25-12, 02:46 PM
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike shorts and cycling Jersey only for me.
Old 09-25-12, 02:55 PM

Bikes: '11 Fuji SL1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cookiemonsta
Obviously, if you are not cycling for exercise or sport it does not matter what you wear. If you do, you will convert anyway sooner or later.
i cycle for fun and fitness. i do about 100 miles/week.

if i was training... i prolly would wear lycra and jerseys.
Old 09-25-12, 03:00 PM

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes I'm serious...If I were to use a bike with the sole reason to run errands and put around town I'd probably be much happier with a hybrid.
clearly you dont own a road bike
Old 09-25-12, 03:24 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The saddles typically on most road bikes, and to a lesser degree the position on the bike, make cycling shorts a really good idea for a road bike ride of any length....
My beater bike is an old road bike, road-type saddle, bars a little bit below the saddle. For short rides, I have no problem in street clothes.

Besides, I'd think if you were sitting upright, wearing jeans, on a saddle without a cutout, you'll notice that seam a lot more than if you're leaning forward on a saddle with a cutout.

IMO it's much more a function of time on the bike than position. If you're riding half an hour at a stretch, I don't think it matters. 60 minutes, I think you'd benefit from bike-specific clothing.
Old 09-25-12, 03:50 PM

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Road cycling w/ street clothing only in the city, on short distances and during cool weather.
Old 09-26-12, 08:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
clearly you dont own a road bike
Really? I'm not sure if this is a joke or not... I do own a road bike. Although I've actually been thinking of buying a hybrid to use around town to run errands etc...I'm struggling to find what would be wrong with that? Isn't that the purpose of a hybrid. Maybe I'm wrong. But one of two things are going to happen if I go grocery shopping with my road bike. Either I'm in cycling gear or street clothes. I'd prefer to not be in street clothes riding a road bike, don't feel like dealing with pedals, non chamios etc.. So I'm assuming I would be more comfortable in street clothes on a hybrid?? I guess a fixie would work in this situation as well?
Old 09-26-12, 08:28 AM

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bike in what you want. I've never had a problem jogging in jean shorts or road biking for that matter with the right saddle. People are too concerned about what others are doing and image. Sometimes I do things on purpose such as taking that second cupcake at work when someone is giving them away to people, or cutting across the grass, not dressing perfectly, just to get a rise out of these 'busybodies' like the guy I work with who are all concerned about their own image and insecure, so they think others must be too and 'follow the rules'
Old 09-26-12, 08:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road bikes are only for people who race, no one here should even own one. Hybrids are the BEST of both worlds!
Old 09-26-12, 08:40 AM
Recusant Iconoclast

Originally Posted by Aeolis
Road bikes are only for people who race, no one here should even own one. Hybrids are the BEST of both worlds!
Okaaaay.

Old 09-26-12, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Really? I'm not sure if this is a joke or not... I do own a road bike. Although I've actually been thinking of buying a hybrid to use around town to run errands etc...I'm struggling to find what would be wrong with that? Isn't that the purpose of a hybrid. Maybe I'm wrong. But one of two things are going to happen if I go grocery shopping with my road bike. Either I'm in cycling gear or street clothes. I'd prefer to not be in street clothes riding a road bike, don't feel like dealing with pedals, non chamios etc.. So I'm assuming I would be more comfortable in street clothes on a hybrid?? I guess a fixie would work in this situation as well?
I don't think there's a rule like "If you're wearing tights you should be on a road bike, but if you have hairy legs you should be on an upright bike." It isn't like voting, either, where there are districts that determine what you belong on, city being hybrid material. What would happen if you wanted to do a century that passed through the city, would you need to change bikes midway through?

You would want a road bike if you prefer the fit/position, the handling, the higher gearing, the way a road bike climbs, etc. A hybrid's purpose is to give its rider a very upright position, easier gearing, and, typically, to not cost as much. I could see wanting to ride one to the store, or some nearby errand if you wanted to lock it to a post or bike rack and not have your nice CF frame messed with ... but not just because you aren't wearing the uniform.

PS - You can easily ride 100 miles at a time without leaving city limits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.