Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Confentes go here

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Confentes go here

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 07:59 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3131 Post(s)
Liked 6,813 Times in 3,897 Posts
Mario Confente

Mario Confente was a graduate of the Leonardo da Vinci School of Engineering in Verona, Italy, and competition cyclist for the famous Dillettanti Bencini Team. He became a artisan bicycle frame builder with Grandis and said to have been a sub-contractor to famous brands. He was employed by Faliero Masi to head up the new California Masi factory on October 12, 1973.

After some years of managing the Masi operation, Mario struck out on his own. using the playing card "spade" as his signature logo, engraved and printed in various places on his frames.

Tragically, at the age of 34, Mario died on March 8, 1979. He had made 135 frames bearing his name. Confente frames are now eagerly sought by bicycling aficionado
Old 01-14-19, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3467 Post(s)
Liked 2,843 Times in 2,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Kactus
Weren't Confente's made in California?
most with his name on them, yes. Two locations, Los Angeles and near Carmel.

a few Italian produced Confente transferred bikes have shown up. At least two made it across the Atlantic, and about the same number the other way that I have seen.

the bikes are not “magic”. You still have to pedal. I like mine very much. The Sprint bike does not get much use, I don’t invision selling it. I can best describe that from the “get go” it was terrific, you could do what you wanted to and the bike responded “ no problem, need anything else?” Provided a heaping dose of confidence. One could argue that the road bikes are a Masi+, Mario did integrate what Masi did and also departed from that. The bikes at the extreme sizes while he was at Masi in Carlsbad are subtlety different that what Masi brought with him and documented in the jig frames.
Old 01-14-19, 11:44 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 284 Posts
Disclosure: The following gem is not mine and its highly probable never will own one. Spotted in the crowd - for sale.

Last edited by crank_addict; 01-14-19 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 03:03 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
^ Those painted brake calipers are cool! Got me thinking now...

DD
Old 01-15-19, 03:28 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Quoted: 4568 Post(s)
Liked 6,553 Times in 3,761 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
^ Those painted brake calipers are cool! Got me thinking now...

DD
The whole dam thing has me thinking now and wishing.

Last edited by merziac; 01-15-19 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 03:34 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
just to keep with the general theme... let me offer an article from Bicycling magazine back in 1975. They did a "road" test of some great track bikes. One of these was a Masi built by Confente. Not nearly enough photos for modern tastes, but the shot of the fork crown is certainly appreciated!

Steve in Peoria

Holy C**p!

Masi $575, Miyata $500, should have bought a dozen Masi's
Old 01-15-19, 03:35 PM

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 323 Posts
All the Confente’s shown so far are really large !

I consider my size 61 Gran Criterium to be really large but back on the day I thought it was the correct size. That’s how they sold them. Seeing those “spoon” scalloped seatstays reminds me of my 1978 Gran Criterium.

Not sure if you can see the scalloped seatstay here or not...
Likes For masi61:
Old 01-15-19, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by crank_addict
Disclosure: The following gem is not mine and its highly probable never will own one. Spotted in the crowd - for sale.

Any idea if it sold, price?
Old 01-15-19, 03:42 PM

Is it just me or doe's it seem like those rusty stands are really crappy for this application?
Old 01-15-19, 04:43 PM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
All the Confente’s shown so far are really large !

I consider my size 61 Gran Criterium to be really large but back on the day I thought it was the correct size. That’s how they sold them. Seeing those “spoon” scalloped seatstays reminds me of my 1978 Gran Criterium.

Not sure if you can see the scalloped seatstay here or not...

Hmm, that looks just like my '78 no flags black Masi special, except with much less beausage. Is yours Columbus tubed? There are no obvious indications, except you'll see the Columbus dove on the steer tube if you pull the fork. We very briefly discussed these last month. Limited run, built by Lippy. Columbus tubes. Dura Ace instead of Record gruppo. Or I suppose you could simply have a black 78.
Old 01-15-19, 05:51 PM

Regarding the "no flags" Masi bikes.
the track bikes were that way from Carlsbad.
a few road bikes- Peter Gilbert owns one now- from 1975. There were two others I saw back in the day.
specials and employee bikes.
I ordered one that way in 1976 - after Mario left.
Carlsbad shut down in 1977. After that curious things happened. A whole string of bikes were built without "flags" best guess '78 and '79 builds show up this way. Non standard colors- the breaking away bike had white fill- the two bikes used in the film had different chain stay type colors- different fork crowns too. One the Cinelli MC. Which took hold in 1980. The Fischer crown was a time suck to clean up- they were running out or out if the IC crowns.
rimor was back then they were using up damaged transfers and went without flags or had trouble manipulating the big transfer.
in1980 things got addressed and the flags returned but the Masi and gran criteeium went all yellow.
Old 01-15-19, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by merziac
Any idea if it sold, price?
Sorry, I have no clue but the owner is fairly easy to locate (note place card). He also showed two other 'spectacular' bikes. Raleigh Longfellow and Exxon Graftek. The Graftek currently on ebay. All are his typical large frame size.

I get that its kind of hard not to bring up value when a Confente is the subject, but its way out of my arena. To me, its quite a treat to see one. Terrific when owners share the appreciation and opinions.
Old 01-15-19, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by merziac
Is it just me or doe's it seem like those rusty stands are really crappy for this application?
They seemed very appropriate to the task and kept the bike securely upright. Unlike many others falling over, whom I witnessed a few times.
-cringe-
Old 01-15-19, 07:34 PM
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
For various reasons my Confente never really "grabbed" me. I don't like bar end shifters and this bike required them. It rode fine but I never really rode it and I can't say the ride was above and beyond (maybe not even better) than a number of other bikes I have. I got to feeling I was owning it just for the bragging rights of owning a Confente. I sold it at a substantial profit from what I had in it.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 01-15-19, 09:50 PM

Is it not all about being part of The Club?
Old 01-16-19, 07:48 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 3,075 Times in 1,564 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Mario Confente

Mario Confente was a graduate of the Leonardo da Vinci School of Engineering in Verona, Italy, and competition cyclist for the famous Dillettanti Bencini Team. He became a artisan bicycle frame builder with Grandis and said to have been a sub-contractor to famous brands. He was employed by Faliero Masi to head up the new California Masi factory on October 12, 1973.

After some years of managing the Masi operation, Mario struck out on his own. using the playing card "spade" as his signature logo, engraved and printed in various places on his frames.

Tragically, at the age of 34, Mario died on March 8, 1979. He had made 135 frames bearing his name. Confente frames are now eagerly sought by bicycling aficionado
He seems to have had a very full and interesting life to pass at such a young age.

Is there a connection between Confente and Wizard? years or even decades ago Cyclyst Magazine, remember that great old rag? OOOPs I derailed the magazine had a semi regular feature on old bikes and in one issue featured both a Confente and Wizard. Both were stunning examples of attention to detail and beautiful finish work, but I can't remember what if any connection there was.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-16-19, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,616 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Is there a connection between Confente and Wizard? years or even decades ago Cyclyst Magazine, remember that great old rag? OOOPs I derailed the magazine had a semi regular feature on old bikes and in one issue featured both a Confente and Wizard. Both were stunning examples of attention to detail and beautiful finish work, but I can't remember what if any connection there was.
ask and you shall receive!
(well, once in a while....)

as far as connections between Wizard and Confente... many Wizard bikes were built by Brian Baylis... Both Brian and Mario spent some time working at Masi California, so there is definitely a connection between them.

an update.... Brian and Mike Howard worked at Wizard....
Wizard Cycles

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-16-19, 11:25 AM
Banned

as far as connections between Wizard and Confente... many Wizard bikes were built by Brian Baylis... Both Brian and Mario spent some time working at Masi California, so there is definitely a connection between them.

Wizard Cycles

Steve in Peoria
Note the Confente brake cables. His 'personal' bike.

There's another thread here banging on someone's Raleigh about brake cable routing. I was watching some vintage racing vids the other night and its quite apparent that others routed the cables front of the bars.

Then theres some high zoot numbers at the Pro's Closet collection, one of which was at Eroica. Yep, cables inderfronte.

Last edited by crank_addict; 01-16-19 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-16-19, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,616 Posts

There's another thread here banging on someone's Raleigh about brake cable routing. I was watching some vintage racing vids the other night and its quite apparent that others routed the cables front of the bars.

Then theres some high zoot numbers at the Pro's Closet collection, one of which was at Eroica. Yep, cables inderfronte.
As I was posting the article, I also noticed the cable routing and the differing methods... and thought of you.

Personally, I think it just indicates that Mario was a flawed human, as are we all.

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-16-19, 11:49 AM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 431 Posts

There's no law that says you can't run the brake cables in front of the bar if that's your preference, but it was considered non standard.

That said, pretty sure this bike has had it's cabling redone. The reason being, I can't imagine an Italian running a left hand front brake. Italians generally use right hand front brakes.
Old 01-16-19, 12:20 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,274 Posts
As I was posting the article, I also noticed the cable routing and the differing methods... and thought of you.

Personally, I think it just indicates that Mario was a flawed human, as are we all.

Steve in Peoria
Did a quick search for pictures of Mario riding and they all had over the bar cable. May be present owners preference?
Old 01-16-19, 01:12 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Wizard Cycles

Steve in Peoria
thats the one, beautiful bikes. Thanks. But now I guess Baylis left a successful frame building name to start out on his due to a falling out with Howard?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-16-19, 03:36 PM
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
Well Howard went to prison for awhile (he was the "hair bandit") so that may have contributed.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 01-16-19, 03:43 PM
Bianchi Goddess

^

I know a guy from Quincy Mass who lost his shop, not sure if he did time, but he got selling more coke out the back than bikes out the front.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-16-19, 04:30 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,274 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueDevil63
Well Howard went to prison for awhile (he was the "hair bandit") so that may have contributed.
A frame builder with a hairline crack...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.