Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

RECOMMENDATION: Helmet for winter cycling in Canada??

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

RECOMMENDATION: Helmet for winter cycling in Canada??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17, 11:41 AM

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
In fact, Giro markets a bike helmet for winter that seems to be just a repackaged Giro Nine. Not surprisingly you can get the Giro Nine for much less in the market than the bike marketed Timberwolf.
As I had mentioned in the Commuting forum, Lazer makes (made?) a bike helmet called Helium for which you could also buy winter padding. However, despite Canada having the ideal conditions for the sale of winter padding for this helmet, the company did not distribute the padding to Canada.

Garneau makes some Fall/Winter specific cycling helmets: https://garneau.com/ca/en/cycling/ge...ts/fall_winter

Finally, I haven't had much luck with ski goggles while cycling and I attribute that to the following assumptions: cycling speed is generally less than skiing/snowboarding and heat generated by the body while cycling is less than that when skiing/snowboarding. Therefore, based on these assumptions, it seems to me that because my ski goggles fog up during winter cycling, it is because more heat is generated inside of them and with less speed, there is less wind to clear the humidity out of the goggles. Whatever the reason, they fog up on me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lazer helium.jpg (33.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-10-17, 04:46 PM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
Finally, I haven't had much luck with ski goggles while cycling

Whatever the reason, they fog up on me.
I wear corrective glasses and they also function in protecting eyes against particles getting in - hence I never felt the need for goggles in cycling. On occasions I see, though, people riding in goggles but they are more often the incidental all-in-panic rather than regular winter riders under our conditions. Still I am sure that there are conditions where goggles are a must, e.g. Iditarod. In any case, there are photochromic sunglasses around, including specifically designed for cycling and it could be all that a winter cyclist, who does not look for optical corrections, needs under moderate conditions.
Old 11-10-17, 06:00 PM
Resident smartass.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just wear a balaclava under my helmet. Good for temps down to -20. I find my ears still get cold, but not so cold that frostbite is a concern.
Old 11-13-17, 08:50 AM

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 193 Posts
Ski helmet here, as well. I have an old Giro that actually looks like a bike helmet. Having the closeable vent is nice.
Old 11-13-17, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I did 3 hrs this weekend with my ski helmet in -6 to -3*C temps and was really comfortable in the head.

The helmet alone wasn't good enough for the ears, but I had balaclava which covered them.

One thing though is that with my particular ski helmet I wouldn't have been able to ride my roadbike because the mechanism at the back gets in the way of putting my head back.
Old 11-13-17, 07:48 PM

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Mounttesa
I did 3 hrs this weekend with my ski helmet in -6 to -3*C temps and was really comfortable in the head.

The helmet alone wasn't good enough for the ears, but I had balaclava which covered them.

One thing though is that with my particular ski helmet I wouldn't have been able to ride my roadbike because the mechanism at the back gets in the way of putting my head back.
My Giro is more restrictive than my normal bike helmet, but I can get by with it. But that's a fair point and you should test them like that before you buy anything.