Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP! first bike choice!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

PLEASE HELP! first bike choice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 04:38 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 643 Posts
Step 1: Figure out your size. A little time on google, visit a couple of shops, and you will have that down.

Step 2: If you need something around the 49cm mark, go get that Centurion. You could look a LONG time and not find another one. I really cannot stress enough how hard it is to find something nice in that small size!!

A lugged steel Centurion, with double butted cromoly frame, and all Cyclone components, in an XS frame size, in what appears to be be nice condition, in California, for $220?

DEAL. IMHO, in that market, the seller could get more.

I look for bikes every day. In the past two years, I have found at most five 19 inch or smaller frame road bikes (48 cms). And when I find them, they tend to be low end. I had one really, really, nice one, resold it and the buyer drove FOUR hours to get it. They sell quick, really quick. In a hotter market like yours, I am surprised that Centurion is still around.

If a 52 cm frame size works, then there will be more choices.

Now if you want to make finding bikes a part time/full time job, I have no doubts you can find a better deal.

Last edited by wrk101; 10-06-10 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-06-10, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
This one is a mess. Rusty spokes, rusty brake springs, rust on the crank bolts, filthy around the bottom bracket. The Trek is clean and shiny, for $70 more. That Bianchi needs at least that much to make it decent.
Nothing that a little WD-40 and some steel wool can't take care of. If you can get them down to $150 you have a good deal. Also filthy around the BB can be cleaned, and have a much better bike than the TREK.
Old 10-06-10, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Capecodder
This one I would go check out now. I don't think it will last as long as the others.
Old 10-06-10, 04:56 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Nothing that a little WD-40 and some steel wool can't take care of. If you can get them down to $150 you have a good deal. Also filthy around the BB can be cleaned, and have a much better bike than the TREK.
The spokes are rusted over. The brake springs and chain ring bolts are orange. The filth speaks of neglect, the orange rust perhaps exposure to a marine environmet. That bike needs an overhaul. It might be a deal to someone with the tools and knowledge to make it right, but not someone that needs a good bike that it ready to go.

To quote the OP:

"4. Do you want it Road Ready? yes please."

This one ain't it. It's a project.

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-06-10, 06:45 PM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Trek.

Ask for new tires for Christmas.
Old 10-06-10, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the trek 330 was sold.

Reasons why I was leaning towards the trek: clean paint, decals intact, my size and ready to ride.

But I guess I gotta do more searching.
Old 10-06-10, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 322 Posts
The spokes are rusted over. The brake springs and chain ring bolts are orange. The filth speaks of neglect, the orange rust perhaps exposure to a marine environmet. That bike needs an overhaul. It might be a deal to someone with the tools and knowledge to make it right, but not someone that needs a good bike that it ready to go.

To quote the OP:

This one ain't it. It's a project.
How about that string of high-end references at the bottom of the ad? Evidently trying to come up on lots of searches. Kinda rubs me the wrong way.
Old 10-06-10, 06:59 PM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kristonenicolas
my size
most important thing IMHO. be sure you get something that fits, even if its not top of the line.
Old 10-06-10, 07:11 PM
Dolce far niente

Reasons why I was leaning towards the trek: clean paint, decals intact, my size and ready to ride.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Clean bikes of decent quality in that size sell quickly in your market. Trust me on this - there are A LOT of hungry eyes looking for just such a beast. Unless you get very lucky you're going to have to act fast and pay the dough, or buy a rust-bucket project like that sad little Bianchi and refurbish it yourself. If you don't have the tools, knowledge, and inclination to do the work yourself then pay the premium and steer clear of bikes that are in disrepair.

Unless you have the resources, they will be a money pit and cost you more in the end. LBS labor and parts will turn your $100 "steal" into a nightmare.

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-06-10, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 322 Posts

Shame you can't ride a 55cm.
https://cgi.ebay.com/trek-330-mens-ro...ht_1794wt_1139

Don't worry; something will turn up.
Old 10-06-10, 08:04 PM
Dolce far niente

kristonenicolas,

Check your pm's - I think I found something you might be interested in, on consignment at the LBS ........

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-06-10, 08:14 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 643 Posts
I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Clean bikes of decent quality in that size sell quickly in your market. Trust me on this - there are A LOT of hungry eyes looking for just such a beast. Unless you get very lucky you're going to have to act fast and pay the dough, or buy a rust-bucket project like that sad little Bianchi and refurbish it yourself. If you don't have the tools, knowledge, and inclination to do the work yourself then pay the premium and steer clear of bikes that are in disrepair.

Unless you have the resources, they will be a money pit and cost you more in the end. LBS labor and parts will turn your $100 "steal" into a nightmare.
+10 Small/extra small frame road bikes sell fast, really fast. And there will be others that were hoping to get that Trek, that will snap up some of the other bikes.

+1 While I have gotten some GREAT deals on bikes, almost every single one of them took work, quite a bit of work. Fortunately, I enjoy doing the work. Otherwise, I would be seeking out some good local flipper to get myself a nice bike, in ready to ride condition. Flippers come in all shapes and sizes. Some just buy bikes cheap, knock the dirt off, and resell them. Others thoroughly go through the bike, fix what needs to be fixed, and sell some nice rehabbed bikes. I just bought four bikes from a "dust knocker/offer". All need work. One was not complete. Two were not rideable.
Old 10-06-10, 08:26 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,075 Posts
btw, i like how there are trek websites that offer websites that can help (i.e., vintage-trek.com), which was why I was leaning more towards the trek. but if i'm just being completely oblivious, and there are other websites that offer the same thing, I would definitely consider other brands. are there any other website's that i can read myself?
https://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpeeds_1/

although he's in Canada alot of the stuff pertains.
Old 10-07-10, 02:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to bigbossman: i couldnt reply as i am still a new member with few posts. but i was going to say,

"wow, i really appreciate that. i'd be very interested. is there any way you can get the bike shop to send me pictures and specs? or otherwise, give me the number to the bike shop so i can have them send me a pictureand specs??"
Old 10-07-10, 02:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks to everyone for all your helpful feedback. although my top choice bike was already sold, i'm hoping to keep this thread open til i do find a bike.

also, i'm not to weary of doing work on the bike. just as long as the bike is rideable for at least a month, i'm willing to put in any work along the road. i've just been fiending to ride a bike for the past month that i just want to start riding asap. i am also prepared to enjoy the "work" it takes to fully rebuild a bike.
Old 10-07-10, 02:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i understand this is a track bike, but i still cant help but go back to look at this bike:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/1985907874.html

FYI: my priority is to get a road bike, but i also want a track bike. i guess i'm just putting this out there while i continue my search for a road bike

Last edited by kristonenicolas; 10-07-10 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-07-10, 03:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
found this:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/1992583774.html

i believe its a 1987?
Old 10-07-10, 04:26 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Price is too high. Did you call about the Fuji?
Old 10-07-10, 04:34 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
To quote the OP:

This one ain't it. It's a project.[/QUOTE]

Well, the OP claims they are willing to do some needed work on the bike as they go, so a little clean-up is not that hard and that Bianchi is a LOT more bike than that TREK was.

kristonenicolas , if you don't mind the searching then keep looking you WILL find something better. If you are in a real big hurry you will end up with something that you will not be happy with in the long run.
Old 10-07-10, 10:11 AM
Dolce far niente

Price is too high. Did you call about the Fuji?
Fuji is gone - click the link.

The Bianchi might be a higher quality bike than the Trek, but it needs a complete overhaul. Saying it needs "a little cleanup" is glossing over some glaring issues. I've seen enough bikes first in photo's and then again in pictures to know that if I can see all those issues in the crappy photo's, the bike is probably not worth going to look at - and certainly not at $230.

A wise man once said:

Originally Posted by wrk101
Projects are best suited for people with the time/aptitude/interest/skill/tools/space to do the work themselves. I love to buy bikes with issues, as issues = discount, usually a big discount. But this really only works because I do all the repair work myself. If I had to pay a shop to do the repair work, I would quickly be upside down on the bike. So in that case, buying a bike in "ready to ride" condition is the way to go. It can cost $200 to $250 at a shop addressing basic mechanical needs on a neglected bike.
Moot point, though. The Trek is gone, and someone got a nice bike.

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 10-07-10 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-07-10, 10:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can talk the bianchi down and have a total of 600 to spend, im sure with a little bit of time and effort you can make it beautiful again. I mean the C&V forum is full of people selling bits, so you could probably have a pretty decent group for 400 bucks. Is there a bike co-op near you where you can work on youre bike and learn some new skills? that would be my deciding factor on whether or not to get a bike that needs a little restoration. I am in canada but i am constantly looking for the ultimate gf bike in size 48-50, and havent found anything yet.
Old 10-07-10, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by bentchamber
... Is there a bike co-op near you where you can work on youre bike and learn some new skills? that would be ....
+1 .
- I know you said you don't want anything that's not fully road ready, but I think that acquiring the skills will pay back many times over - learning to do a basic overhaul is not difficult and would open up a world of choices at very attractive prices, as well as permit you to maintain your own bike(s) at minimal expense.
Old 10-07-10, 12:08 PM
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by bentchamber
Is there a bike co-op near you where you can work on youre bike and learn some new skills? that would be my deciding factor on whether or not to get a bike that needs a little restoration....
Yeah - a co-op would be the way to go.... Assuming you have the time and inclination to do your own wrenching, a co-op provides you access to tools, a knowledge base, and cheap parts.

But goodness - with a total of $600 to spend, it makes no sense to do so unless you're looking for the education. You can buy a lot of bike for that kind of money.

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-07-10, 12:26 PM
Oh Snap, not again...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is probably a little on the large size
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/1989950891.html

Since you are also checking the San Diego Craigslist this guy is a flipper out of Oceanside, I regularly see him posting many different bikes every week. You will recognize the bamboo fence in all his photos. His bikes are usually pretty clean looking with new consumables i.e. bar tape, cables/housing sometimes tires, so I would suspect he probably has regreased the hubs. His prices are typically in the 200-300 range and generally look to be road ready. Maybe you could contact him through the link and ask him what he might have in your size.

There is another flipper out of San Marcos that appears to have a similar operation but i haven't seen a post this week. These guys typically "spam" CL starting Thursdays through Sunday.
Old 10-07-10, 12:47 PM
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by atmdad
This is probably a little on the large size
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/1989950891.html.
I'm looking at this and, ugly white tires aside, I'm not believing it is a 54cm bike. Based on what I can see the top tube and down tube look awfully close together to be 54cm.

I'm thinking it's smaller - maybe the light colored head tube panel is throwing me off but it might be worth a look.

S. J. Perelman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.