Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Who walks their dogs beside their bicycle regularly?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Who walks their dogs beside their bicycle regularly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 04:19 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by North Coast Joe
I have a life long background in working with hounds and horses, so this practice may not be for every dog owner here. Chances are, if you've been a naysayer in this post, you shouldn't try it with your animal.

Use a harness, don't hook up to the collar. I use sled dog harness' that fit the animal well. My attachment point is designed and built here at home after years of trial and error. It is hinged to allow the hound freedom enough to negotiate varying terrain, has bungee incorporated into the lead to allow small variances in pull tension without disturbing the balance of either party. The attachment also feature a quick release that could be used to release the hound with a short lead still attached should something terrible occur.

The bike is also set up to do it safely, an MTB with disc brakes, low gearing, fenders to deflect errant tails or limbs, saddle bags in back to do the same and cushion any interaction between hound and bike. I've found that even an occasional bolt after game crossing in front of us, or sudden stops, is not of enough force to lose my, or her balance. My fat ass and those discs give me enough leverage to control that 100lb.+ hound under the conditions we've encountered in years of doing it. No bad crashes yet (knock wood).

Where you do it is just as important as how you do it. We're big fans of double track and single track trails through our large park system (single track can get narrow for the rig in some instances). Occasionally we'll do the turf of a local park when the trails are too wet. I would NEVER consider doing it on the roads, though we do have to use or cross some pavement to link trails together. The hounds have been well heeled in rare traffic interaction, but have extensive training BEFORE ever getting harnessed to the bike.

Every hound has been enthusiastic and eager to carry a pace that can't be maintained on foot for the 2-5 mile jaunt. They like to GO! Properly prepared, we'll exceed 14mph on clear trail sections. A trot, which is their natural hunting gait, can vary from 3-7 mph and they can do that longer than I can. We only run 1-2x weekly, other days the hounds are walked more traditionally, or just free to roam our fenced yard.

If one sees the car and bike leave home without them, they are SO disappointed...whining and baying to be included. Oh, there's always water in the saddle bags or back at the car as the run usually takes <1 hour. Treats, too!

I have some video that I tried to attach, but it's in a format unsupported by BF. I really don't care enough to pursue it. I've been here a long time & I don't post much do to the know it all members that post absolute nonsense as gospel. Don't know hounds, dogs or horses? Stay in your lane, nobody suggested running dogs off lead as a viable option. Picking up after the hounds involves dismounting and bagging it up in 1 or 2 minutes...not a hassle, just your responsibility. Teach me about bikes, not hounds.
On the other hand, if you have all the knowledge in the world and don't share it is it worth anything? We all share a love for bikes but we are much more than just that.

Last edited by KraneXL; 12-17-18 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-18-18, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Please be mindful of your dog's limitations if you try this. I once saw a guy riding along with a little, stubby-legged pup on a leash. He wasn't going that fast for a bike, but that little dog was running flat out as hard as he could, little legs flailing, tongue hanging low, and the collar was pulled right up behind his ears. He was clearly exhausted and at the absolute limit of his ability and strength. I said "you're going to kill that dog," and got an indifferent grunt in reply. Wish I'd called the cops on him.
Old 12-18-18, 02:48 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve
Please be mindful of your dog's limitations if you try this. I once saw a guy riding along with a little, stubby-legged pup on a leash. He wasn't going that fast for a bike, but that little dog was running flat out as hard as he could, little legs flailing, tongue hanging low, and the collar was pulled right up behind his ears. He was clearly exhausted and at the absolute limit of his ability and strength. I said "you're going to kill that dog," and got an indifferent grunt in reply. Wish I'd called the cops on him.
How right you are. In fact, I'd go as far to say most dog owners don't have a clue. Some dogs are high-energy and bread to run. So for a Huskie or Weimaraner (even Poodles) go for it.

A Bull dog, or Wiener dog on the other hand, not so much. Sometimes its just a matter of common sense, but too many dog owner fail to do any research, and end up choosing the wrong dog to fit their lifestyle.
Old 12-18-18, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve
Another massive +1 on this !!!!!!

Went to an air show a couple of years ago on a hot summers day with a huge crowd .... an announcement came over the PA System .... "Someone has left their dog in their car which a member of the public has reported is suffering in the heat and is in distress ... the car is a ..... registration number ..... if the owner doesn't go and see to that poor animal immediately I'll personally go out there myself and break the f**_-g window with a brick and call the police"

You should have heard the crowd cheer ad clap in support!!!

it's all about the animal and looking after them .. the same as they would you.
Old 12-19-18, 07:35 AM
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
brother in law was nearly killed when riding bike with dog on leash. dog darted, causing him to crash into guardrail slicing his inner thigh. He nearly bled out. thank God for good Samaritans and fast first responders.