Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What is your biggest concern in commuting by bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: Your #1 biggest concern in bike commuting?
bad weather
23.57%
road safety
44.29%
flats or other mechanical failures
7.14%
violent crimes
3.57%
thefts
3.57%
hassles to dress up upon arriving for work
6.43%
being late to work
2.86%
other
8.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

What is your biggest concern in commuting by bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
iPod zombies and joggers . . . downright dangerous.
Old 03-25-13, 06:14 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DrakeSuperbus
If by "concern" you mean "thing that you worry about," then it is safety, as I would rather not get hit by a car. However, I don't let my concern deter me from commuting.

If by "concern"" you mean "thing that affects your commuting the most," then it is weather. Case in point, It's snowing right now and they're calling for 4-6 by the time I plan on going to work tomorrow. Unless they are way off, I'm not saddling up in the morning.
This is pretty close to how I feel. I don't obsess over getting hit by cars, but that is probably my biggest worry -- mainly due to distracted, inattentive drivers. I make myself very visible so any driver "ought" to see me, but many drivers are preoccupied with their cell phones, texting, drinking coffee, listening to the radio and chatting with other passengers. However, on a daily basis, I spend more time worrying about the weather -- how to dress, whether it's going to rain or not, how hard the wind is blowing, whether there will be black ice on the roads, etc.
Old 03-25-13, 06:16 AM
all-weather commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgetting to bring my lunch.
Old 03-25-13, 06:44 AM
Dirty Schwinn-Lover

Bikes: '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid, Firmstrong Chief 3-spd, '10 Schwinn Corvette

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdonges
Magpies!

I'm sorry, but I laughed a little. I'm sure I wouldn't be laughing if a magpie attacked me out of nowhere, though.

If you're not a weight weenie, I suggest adding a Stoeger Stage gun in 20-gauge, loaded for bird.
Old 03-25-13, 06:49 AM
Dirty Schwinn-Lover

Bikes: '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid, Firmstrong Chief 3-spd, '10 Schwinn Corvette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mine would definitely be road safety, i.e. inattentive drivers talking on cells/talking to passengers/fumbling with their radios/talking demonstratively with both hands while on a call. South Carolina is definitely one of the least bike-friendly places in the Southeast, and that's only because so few people down here view them as valid forms of transportation. Safety concerns aside, like the post above, the only thing that can keep me from riding is bad weather (or laziness).

Last edited by deeth82; 03-25-13 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-25-13, 09:18 AM
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I answered bad weather but in fact it's just snow. I don't commute when there's snow on the road because then my 27.4 kms ride would take too long, I ride in any other condition; hot, cold, rain, shine etc.
Old 03-25-13, 09:36 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrakeSuperbus
If by "concern" you mean "thing that you worry about," then it is safety, as I would rather not get hit by a car. However, I don't let my concern deter me from commuting.

If by "concern"" you mean "thing that affects your commuting the most,"...
Staying safe is always top of mind but never a deterrent.

So far, the only thing that keeps me away from riding, or even riding more, has been the flat tires. I had a good run between November and March with zero flats, then 3 in a week. After a trip to the LBS, I think I may have (with the mechanics help) discovered the catalyst for the vast majority of them (small section of frayed/missing wire bead). It's the number one frustration I've had and it's been present since I started commuting (every day) back in May.
Hopefully, I can get the issue resolved with a new tire.
Old 03-25-13, 11:13 AM
Dirty Schwinn-Lover

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FenderTL5
Staying safe is always top of mind but never a deterrent.

So far, the only thing that keeps me away from riding, or even riding more, has been the flat tires. I had a good run between November and March with zero flats, then 3 in a week. After a trip to the LBS, I think I may have (with the mechanics help) discovered the catalyst for the vast majority of them (small section of frayed/missing wire bead). It's the number one frustration I've had and it's been present since I started commuting (every day) back in May.
Hopefully, I can get the issue resolved with a new tire.
That really bites, Fender. And it's not one of the usual suspects. Hope you get it straightened out, as that would frustrate me to no end. :-(
Old 03-25-13, 01:19 PM

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Black ice. I voted for "bad weather," but black ice could just as well go under "road safety."
Old 03-25-13, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I say "road safety" I pretty much mean getting in a horrific accident with someone who isn't riding a bike. Whether cars or pedestrians are more dangerous is open to debate.
Old 03-25-13, 06:04 PM
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 194 Posts
My biggest concern is that the only route I can take is a busy road (2 lanes each direction - but has sidewalks for a good chunk of it), and then when I get close to work, it turns into a narrow road with no shoulders and ditches on either side but is still heavily trafficked.

Do you recommend using the sidewalks on the busy road when they are available? Or stay in the road? The narrow road toward the end of the commute has no room for a car to go around me unless the oncoming lane is empty. Worst part.
Old 03-25-13, 06:46 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My biggest concern is:
*Distracted drivers turning left in front of me.
*Distracted drivers turning right or left from a side street to my right.
*Distracted drivers coming from my rear.
*Salmons
*Ninjas at night.

Other than that, commuting has been and always will be awesome!
Old 03-25-13, 06:48 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Remembering my wallet, keys, water and tools, and hoping that I put the right amount of clothing on.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-25-13, 08:08 PM
vol

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Remembering my wallet, keys, water and tools, and hoping that I put the right amount of clothing on.
One of my smaller concerns is to remember to bring my lock! (Used to be that I have to remember to bring the keys to my locks, but I now carry the keys with house keys every day to avoid that...)
Old 03-26-13, 05:13 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
My biggest concern is that the only route I can take is a busy road (2 lanes each direction - but has sidewalks for a good chunk of it), and then when I get close to work, it turns into a narrow road with no shoulders and ditches on either side but is still heavily trafficked.

Do you recommend using the sidewalks on the busy road when they are available? Or stay in the road? The narrow road toward the end of the commute has no room for a car to go around me unless the oncoming lane is empty. Worst part.
Sci guy, I have a section of road like that on my commute (two lane, narrow, ditches, heavy traffic and the speed limit is 45mph with most exceeding it).

When I first started commuting, I hugged the gravel line. In the first two weeks I had my mirror readjusted (scraped) by a passing car twice. Now, I move all the way out to the left tire track, in front of the driver position. Because it's heavily traveled, I usually enter the road (right turn from traffic light) with a car right behind me. That vehicle either passes in the opposite lane or has to follow. Once I cross the river bridge, I turn off the road and wind through neighborhoods, but I have to get across the river on that road. I got yelled and honked at some at first but it seems to have subsided with the same folks used to me being there.

That said, to your question, in Nashville it's a traffic violation to ride on a sidewalk. State law indicates the same, except in residential areas. I would 'take the lane' if that road is a must but would also scout out any alternate routes (neighborhoods, shopping centers, parallel streets) if possible.
Old 03-26-13, 07:04 AM

Bikes: 2020 Trek Roscoe 8, 2016 Trek 520 Disc, 2013 Trek 7.2 FX, 2010 Trek 4300 Disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
"Distance". 30 miles each way is time consuming with family matters that also need attention. Weather that may not be a concern on a 5 - 10 mile commute also becomes an issue. This is the reason I don't commute in Michigan during the winter.
Old 03-26-13, 07:35 AM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Concern is safety -- mostly cars doing stupid things. But the major irritation is getting to work to find that I forgot something important. Today I forgot my cellphone, which is not a big deal. But forgetting money, lunch, underwear or work clothes is pretty grisly.
Old 03-26-13, 08:54 AM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chose other.
My biggest worry on my commute is Lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!!
Actually, it is more like deer, moose and bears, I haven't seen the last one. I have actually seen deer on my way to work. I have them wandering through my front yard as well. I have also seen moose not far from my house.

Another concern is salmon-ninjas, in almost five years I have crossed paths with two. I guess that is one of the advantages of living in an area with almost non existent bike culture.

Your commute sounds a lot like mine. I also don't have many route choices, also a busy two lane, each way, road. Part of it has a shoulder, about half way home, the shoulder turns into a curb, so I learned real early in the game that I had to take the lane in order to be safe.

In My Humble Opinion, IF you are riding your bicycle, you DO NOT belong on the side walk, If you want to be on the sidewalk, then push your bike.

As far as the narrow road goes, if you ride in/on the right tire track, (aka, taking the lane) you SHOULD be okay. When you take the lane, the driver knows that he either has to go around you or follow you.
Old 03-26-13, 08:57 AM
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 132 Posts
bad weather - Except when it rains at near freezing temperature, everything else is enjoyable for me - better than driving in a cage.
road safety - My only real concern. It doesn't depend on me, not 100%. I can be visible, ride defensively, but a drunken idiot can kill me any time.
flats or other mechanical failures - I can come on top of most of it, it's a challenge. Besides, I maintain my bikes so that they don't break down in the middle of a ride. Flats are a usual thing - like rain. 10-15 minute break for a change and off I go.
violent crimes - I'm the one people are scared of.
thefts - Concern, but I am covered well at work and at home. When parking along the way, 2 very good locks and an UGLY looking bike have worked so far.
hassles to dress up upon arriving for work - I don't care about looks much. No problems there. Boss would like me to dress better, but then I'd get promoted, which would mean more responsibility, stress... no thanks.
being late to work - Non issue for me. I'm always late, everywhere I go. When I arrive on time, my boss thinks something has happened, or I stayed the whole night at work... which does happen often... which, I believe, is why coming in late is very much tolerated... which is the way it suits me - no stress hurrying to work, but when there's lots of work, just stay and finish it - however long it might take.
Old 03-26-13, 09:21 AM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I voted "hassles to dress up upon arriving for work". And that's why I walked into this forum to see how people handle cleaning up when there is no local shower. I'm sure there are many threads on it so I'm going to try and find those before making another.
Old 03-26-13, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by vol
Oh, yeah, I forgot that choice: Animals on the road! Birds, dogs, deers, raccoons, squirrels, bears(?),...
although I don't have that luck in NYC---it would make my commute so much more fun
I forgot about that as well. Geese are always an issue but when they have babies they get aggressive. I give them all the room and consideration I can but they don't always appreciate it.
Old 03-26-13, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by TOTAL CONTROL
I chose Violent crimes. But its more accurate to say animal attacke. I have come upon the rogue straggler on the bike path just standing on the side half cloaked on trees. They caal out to you some times & for what I do not know & have no intention of finding out. But the large dogs that get loose are a big consern for me

In short; my biggest fear is having to use my 6" survival knife to kill someone or something.
I go through an area and for about 1/4 mile I get the occasional yellings. I think in general they are entertaining themselves in a "I want to feel I have power over something" sort of way but I don't acknowledge them in any way. I do keep my eye on them but that's it.

I also carry a knife as well as a Monkey's Fist. If you don't know what that is I suggest you take a peek. It is quite effective against animals if given no other choice.

Several styles and types here.
https://www.paracordist.com/paracord-...-self-defense/
Old 03-26-13, 09:39 AM

Regardless of laws you should take the safe option. If the sidewalk has no or low traffic then use it. Don't use a road where you are backing up traffic regardless of the legal right to do so. When I commute or just ride I use the safest and most considerate option. If I get a ticket (never have) for that then I'm ok with it.
Old 03-26-13, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by xtrajack
In My Humble Opinion, IF you are riding your bicycle, you DO NOT belong on the side walk, If you want to be on the sidewalk, then push your bike.

As far as the narrow road goes, if you ride in/on the right tire track, (aka, taking the lane) you SHOULD be okay. When you take the lane, the driver knows that he either has to go around you or follow you.
I think being on the sidewalk is ok if there is nobody on it. I only have a small stretch where I use them but it depends on the time of the day. My normal times I am the only one there and opt to be there over the road. If the sidewalk is used AT ALL I use the road.
Old 03-28-13, 09:30 AM

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
My biggest concern is the winter worrying about freezing ice at night and getting frost bite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.