Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

when does the yelling end?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

when does the yelling end?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-08, 08:07 AM
English bloke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it really something against cyclists? Seems to me some drivers are always shouting at each other, just normally in cars you can't hear it

Originally Posted by keiththesnake
Well, if that's the case, I'd Shoot 'Em, Stab 'Em, or Pepper Spray 'Em.
No. Hurl your capital 'W's at them like Ninja throwing stars.
Old 06-22-08, 08:41 AM

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nashcommguy
Not to mention a 'hate crime'...which is Federal...according to what they called you.
If you can find a federal hate crime law that includes verbally harassing a cyclists I will FedEx you a cookie.
Old 06-22-08, 08:52 AM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 06-22-08, 09:07 AM

Bikes: Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Owensboro, Kentucky, I have found the same problems. It never fails that when i am out commuting, some idiot will pull out onto the street and miss hitting me by inches. Of course I just swerve out of the way while holding onto my handle bars for dear life, but it always ends with them yelling profantities at me. I seriously don't know how much more reflector tape and lights my bike will need on it before I can be seen from outerspace, let alone from the car that is sitting at the stop sign/red light up ahead. Sadly enough, I too have come to my senses and now carry a knife on me for self defense all because of some idiot who decided yelling at me wasn't enough.
Old 06-22-08, 09:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgaynor
Sadly enough, I too have come to my senses and now carry a knife on me for self defense all because of some idiot who decided yelling at me wasn't enough.
Sorry about Kentucky, that sounds really awful. That said knifes are ****ty defensive weapons for a lot of reasons we could go into off-line. I say that as someone that was formally trained to fight with them. Pepper spray works pretty good. I also reserve my right to carry a firearm, but when I commute to work I can't carry any sort of weapon (even pepper spray). Honestly, I am more worried about some of the people waiting for the train than I am drivers... but then again I don't live in Kentucky.
Old 06-22-08, 09:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you give them the finger until they stop they get the picture.
Old 06-22-08, 09:48 AM
n00b-sauce

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse SL 2, Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sanitycheck
Or hope they do; that can be even more fun.

Had a real idiot of a garbage truck driver giving me crap once, over the course of several weeks -- I always try to be extra considerate to people with unwieldy vehicles and/or tough jobs, but this guy flat-out wanted me off the road, and wasn't shy about laying on his horn and yelling. I shrugged it off, but the day he started with the homophobic "f****t" rants, I turned back, waved, and yelled, "Love you too, babe", in front of a large crowd of pedestrians.

Mirrors are great; if you haven't already got one, I recommend it. But even if they served no other purpose, it was worth every penny I paid for my mirror, just to watch this guy turn beet red and kind of shrink into his seat while his buddy in the cab with him cracked up laughing at him.

After that day, he would just pull over to the curb and wait till I was out of sight. I should have done that way sooner.
I've had that happen to me (sort of.) My wife and I were riding one day and a guy in a truck slowed down and started with the "hey baby" this and "hey baby" that. So, I just made like he was talking to me and said, "hey baby" right back to him. Same reaction. Beet red, and as much distance as he could muster.
Old 06-22-08, 11:20 AM

Bikes: not worth mentioning

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Practice memorizing license plate numbers. Report any verbal abuse to the police or sheriff's dept w/t licence plate number and a description of the vehicle. If you're a commuter you're likely to be in the same proximity at around the same time everyday. Remember, you're in a VERY vulnerable position and while subject to vehicular laws you're NOT subject to any form of 'road rage'. Which is EXACTLY what verbal abuse is intepreted as under the law. It's assault...and a criminal offence. Not to mention a 'hate crime'...which is Federal...according to what they called you.
I wish I had learned about this tip long ago. I've had some incidents.

During the daylight hours, I sometimes bike along a busy road that has a 3-ft wide bike lane along w/ a ditch on the right side. It is usually teenage or high school kids driving cars (2 or more in a car) that think it's funny to yell real loud as they pass me in hopes of scaring me into driving into the ditch. Can I use this tip in that instance?

At night one time a slow moving vehicle was stalking me, w/ 4 teens in a car and one yelled out loud, "I'm gonna kill you." I knew then it was just a stupid kid, but I wished I had done something about it so that they couldn't get away w/ that.
Old 06-22-08, 12:43 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
The yelling ends when you do your entire commute on a separate bike path.

No autos, no drivers, hence no yelling.

Then of course there are the barking dogs and irritated pedestrians.
Old 06-22-08, 02:42 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HF2300
Is it really something against cyclists? Seems to me some drivers are always shouting at each other, just normally in cars you can't hear it
As I said before, people are just idiots. Once you accept this, and that it isn't going to change, it suddenly becomes a lot easier to just deal with.

Originally Posted by genec

Around here it's not uncommon for drivers to try their luck on separate bike paths if they think it will get them through the gridlock eaiser. Then you have to add in all the cycle-rage (which looks a lot like road rage -- except that they're fighting over a much smaller area), I think it's just as easy to stick to the road, I can get away from it more easily there.

That is all.
Old 06-22-08, 06:31 PM
Rando commuter

Bikes: 2018 Boulder Bicycle All Road, 2011 Velo Orange Randonneur, 2015 Jamis Coda, 2004 Klein Aura V, 2007 Bike Friday NWT, 1989 Schwinn Sierra w/ Xtracycle

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Practice memorizing license plate numbers.
I'm trying to take pictures.

This came from elsewhere in the forums, where someone recommended taking a picture with your cell phone so that you don't forget the license plate number. (Even if you don't have a camera on your cell phone, you can still hold it up like you do and text yourself the number...)

Not having a camera on my cellphone, I got a hold of an Aiptek PenCam. It sits in a cell-phone pouch on my messenger bag strap.

I'm still working on my quick-draw, so we'll see how it goes...
Old 06-22-08, 07:12 PM
^_^

Bikes: Cannondale System Six, Specialized FSR-XC, Specialized Langster, Univega Arrow Spot, Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The yelling ended for me when I put on headphones. I pretty much drown out everything. I ride extremely defensively because I'm essentially hearing impaired when I ride, but I enjoy my ride far more without the comments, kids in dropped civics bumping music I hate, hicks in trucks doing the same and everything in between.

People(even us, see walmart commuter threads) seem to have a tendency to look for ways to look down on other people. People in BMWs look down on people in Toyotas which in turn look down on people in 95 Blazers which in turn look down on people that ride their bikes to work. I feel safe in saying this kind of behavior is human nature. It repeats itself over and over in our society. When you wear full kit and ride a race bike, you are exercising. When you go commuter on a bike with bags and fenders, you look homeless and automatically become the poorest thing on the road.
Old 06-22-08, 07:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP dont take it too hard man. The truth is the people yelling probably wouldn't know you if they bumped into you at the supermarket an hour later. They just felt like being stupid and you were there. It was like eharmony opportunity and compatibility came together and they said oh this seems like a good idea only you werent matched on 24 virtues
Old 06-22-08, 07:44 PM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Old 06-22-08, 07:51 PM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ok_commuter
Just a point of order... yelling a name at somebody is not a hate crime. Beating someone to death while yelling that same name at them might qualify the murder as a hate crime, but yelling is just yelling, maybe harassment or assault of some sort.
Just a point of order: Yelling at someone from a car window is a form of assault. When a racial or gender preference slur is added it becomes a 'hate crime' by Federal definition.
Old 06-22-08, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
always have your tire pump strapped on. if you see someone coming who you think or know is going to harrass you, a good whack to the head or rear window should do the trick
Old 06-22-08, 08:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a point of order: Yelling at someone from a car window is a form of assault. When a racial or gender preference slur is added it becomes a 'hate crime' by Federal definition.
First of all, I am unaware of any federal law the defines yelling out a car window as assault. Second of all, even if it did, the Matthew Shepard Act wasn't passed and the 1969 United States federal hate-crime law would only kick in if you were riding your bike to school or to vote or to do some other federally protected activity.

EDIT- Not that I like to be yelled at or anything. Some states do have stronger hate crime laws (actually I think 49 of them do, all of them except for Wyoming).
Old 06-22-08, 09:12 PM
Arrogant Safety Nanny

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.2 FX, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah yelling at somebody isn't assault...here's California's definition; I assume most other definitions would be similar
Originally Posted by www.leginfo.ca.gov
240. An assault is an unlawful attempt, coupled with a present ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another.
However if the motorist yelling out the car window challenged the cyclist to a fight or used "offensive words" "likely to provoke an immediate violent reaction" the motorist would probably be guilty of PC415 (disturbing the peace)
Originally Posted by www.leginfo.ca.gov
415. Any of the following persons shall be punished by imprisonment
in the county jail for a period of not more than 90 days, a fine of
not more than four hundred dollars ($400), or both such imprisonment
and fine:
(1) Any person who unlawfully fights in a public place or
challenges another person in a public place to fight.
(2) Any person who maliciously and willfully disturbs another
person by loud and unreasonable noise.
(3) Any person who uses offensive words in a public place which
are inherently likely to provoke an immediate violent reaction.
Old 06-22-08, 09:32 PM
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec

The yelling doesn't end--you just have to do it yourself:

"Bike"

"Behind you!"

"On your left!"

"Thank you!"

etc.
Old 06-22-08, 09:41 PM
^_^

Bikes: Cannondale System Six, Specialized FSR-XC, Specialized Langster, Univega Arrow Spot, Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
The yelling doesn't end--you just have to do it yourself:

"Bike"

"Behind you!"

"On your left!"

"Thank you!"

etc.
Bike paths are more like:

"ding-ding"

*Smile*

Unless you're the a-hole doing 25mph on the MUP...
Old 06-22-08, 10:53 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm also in the Phila area. I've been commuting for 3 years and just got razzed for the first time last week. Some teenage guys in a car gave me the wolf whistle and told me I was hot (I'm a short, old, bald guy). I was wearing a particularly obnoxious lime green hi viz shirt, so I deserved it I suppose. In general drivers have been excessively polite, almost to a fault.
Old 06-23-08, 12:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been commuting for a few weeks now. I've only had one "Get off the road" comment but I've had a couple of people just yelling to startle me a few times. I don't understand how in a civilized country people can't even help themselves from yelling things out at cyclists like they are zoo animals.
Old 06-23-08, 12:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Throwmeabone
I don't understand how in a civilized country people can't even help themselves from yelling things out at cyclists like they are zoo animals.
Civilized country? Were do you live? Can I move there?
Old 06-23-08, 07:19 AM

Bikes: 95' Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by poopskidz
i just got home from an 1 1/2 hour ride and i successfully only got yelled at 3 times 2 were fat old men in cars the other was an 18 year old hick in a lifted pickup. Is it really that exciting to see a cyclist on the road??? I guess i better get used to it since i am fairly new to cycling but how many times do i really need to be called a fagg*t
You are from MO, what do you expect...........
Old 06-23-08, 07:37 AM
No Sidewalks.

Bikes: Cannondale Capo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It why I wear ear buds.
I listen to NPR just loud enough to block out human voices but I can still hear cars.

With the wind and cars coming from behind I figure my eyes are my only real defense and I should focus with them. If somebody yells or honks I don't really know it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.