Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Is my sleeping bag not good enough?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Is my sleeping bag not good enough?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-17, 03:02 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1883 Post(s)
Liked 1,549 Times in 1,053 Posts
IF you go buy a new bag you'll notice they are all rated using the European 'EN" rating system. The mftrs usually like to give you the lower threshold rating, and a comfort rating; the lower threshold should be interpreted as a 'survivability' rating as you'll still be cold in those lower temps, so use the more-conservative 'comfort' rating. Personaly I'd add 10 degrees more to the comfort rating since I believe todays' mftrs are not above cheating on ratings.

Also look at a bag's girth at the shoulders/hips/and feet. A lot of mftr make /minimalist' bags today, and one of the ways they cut weight is to make them skinnier. If you're don't have a 'beanpole' body, but something a little bulkier, you'll just crush the insulation. Get a bag that's as wide as you, maybe even a little wider so you can wear clothes inside if the temps get a little too cold.

Foods to eat. When I was mountain climbing it usually proved advantageous to mix pepper, curry, or other hot-spicy condiments into meals to keep the body warm at night.

Good bags are expensive, but that up-front expense usually means you get a quality bag that'll last many years with the right care.
Old 06-12-17, 05:10 PM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by mymorningjacket
THats not good; I've kept it in a compression bag for about 4 months since I bought it. Maybe this ruined the bag and I should cut my losses and ask for a swap from teton.
Stick it in the dryer on no-heat/fluff setting with a couple of shoes to kick it around.
Old 06-12-17, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 855 Times in 442 Posts
I'm traveling from Vancouver, North through Whistler, Jasper, Banff and ending up in Calgary.
I imagine tempatures will certainly get a lot lower the more North I go. I leave in 2 weeks.
My wife and I experienced freezing temperatures last year on the Jasper to Banff portion of your route. We did that part of our trip from June 15-19th. We had 20F rated bags which worked OK. We also used Thermarest Prolite 4 pads, which we use for year around camping, including snow camping.

Four layers for "lounging" around camp; two long sleeve Ts, light fleece and lightweight insulated jacket

My wife dressed for working on her Journal in the evening. Point is: bring some warm clothes, and hope you don't need them.

It is a great ride!

Good luck.

Last edited by Doug64; 06-12-17 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-12-17, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 855 Times in 442 Posts
THats not good; I've kept it in a compression bag for about 4 months since I bought it. Maybe this ruined the bag and I should cut my losses and ask for a swap from teton.
Did the bag come in a compression sack or did you put it in one? There is a lot of difference between a stuff sack and a compression sack.

If you put it in a compression sack why would they give you a swap for something you did? Is your sleeping bag synthetic or down?

Compression sacks. The black bag and the blue bag are my sleeping bags in compression sacks the green bag is the tent in a compression sack.

Last edited by Doug64; 06-12-17 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-13-17, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
I doubt it's ruined, but if it is, why would you ask them for a refund/swap if you broke it? ...Anyway, my guess is your sleep pad is the problem. You want something insulated if sleeping in that temp range. It'll make a huge difference. I went from being cold at 40 degrees F on a cheap thing pad, to being OK at 32 degrees F on my Klymit insulated Static V with wearing less clothes.
Old 06-15-17, 08:35 PM
Lentement mais sûrement

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You'll be cold as long as you keep that non insulated pad, no matter what else you do. I guarantee it.