Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Must torque cassette????

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Must torque cassette????

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-23, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
You guys have this all wrong. You dont tighten the lockring to keep it from turning. The heavily torqued lockring compresses the sprockets into each other so they hold position and dont clock into the freehub body.
Correct. Especially essential with aluminum freehub bodies. I see it too often in the shop when a lock ring comes off easier than it should and you have to pry the sprockets out of the bite marks they left in the freehub.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 05-07-23, 10:26 AM

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 96 Posts
Funny you you should ask. When checking reviews of the SunRun 7 speed cassette I had installed on my comfort bike last week, Most reviews where pretty much what I expected. While it works fine out of the box, durability is questionable.

But there where some complaints about it malfunctioning, and falling apart. Perhaps they simply didn't torque it down enough. Hopefully the shop I had the work done at didn't make the same mistake. This is probably a freewheel so it might not be the same effect for a cassette.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 05-07-23 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-07-23, 10:37 AM

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,088 Posts
I just tighten the cassettes down by hand. Never had a problem. I do though use a Torque wrench on a few other things. I definitely use a torque wrench on my Crank Arms. I am using the torque wrench more often now that I am loosing strength in my hands and arms due to age.

I think that with modern bikes transitioning into exotic materials using a torque wrench more often will become necessary. It's more then just Steel to Aluminum as we now look at Carbon, Titanium, and Chinesium alloy material combinations. Do note that you do not need a fancy Torque Wrench. A 20 USD Torque will do provided you check its calibration. Torque specs on a bicycle are ball park figures. I usually go just to, or slightly under, the recommended torque.

I recently compared my 50 year old Sears analog torque wrench to my neighbors new digital and found it amazingly Spot On!

Sears 70s Vintage

Also note that finding proper torque specs on a new bike might be very hard. Here is a list of possible torque specs I put together a few years ago. The table is scavenged from multiple sources on the net. It applies to older bikes with Steel to Steel and Steel to Aluminum. Hope this helps.

Basic Bike Torque Specs

Last edited by zandoval; 05-07-23 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-07-23, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 1,755 Times in 1,149 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Have you never read the directions on the back of a bottle of shampoo? "rinse and repeat"

You are also assuming that the ring is not tightened enough from the very start.

If you are suggesting that a torque wrench must always be used and that torque must be exactly 40nM, then I can only say I disagree.
No, you just misunderstood:

YOU were assuming that the ring wasn't tight enough and suggested tightening it a little more in your post. And I'm saying that the ring needs to be at full torque from the get-go, and that adding "a little" might not get it there if you seriously undertightened it in the first place.

And I'm not saying you have to use a torque wrench, I was using torque values to illustrate that Not Tight + A Little More = Too Little Torque.

Unlike washing your hair, bike parts get damaged when not assembled correctly the first time - so I don't know why trial and error would ever be considered an acceptable methodology for tightening drivetrain components. Loose lockrings, loose pedals, loose QRs, loose crank bolts and loose BB cups lead to often expensive damage.
Old 05-07-23, 11:07 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6353 Post(s)
Liked 4,956 Times in 3,413 Posts
No, you just misunderstood:

YOU were assuming that the ring wasn't tight enough and suggested tightening it a little more in your post. And I'm saying that the ring needs to be at full torque from the get-go, and that adding "a little" might not get it there if you seriously undertightened it in the first place.

And I'm not saying you have to use a torque wrench, I was using torque values to illustrate that Not Tight + A Little More = Too Little Torque.

Unlike washing your hair, bike parts get damaged when not assembled correctly the first time - so I don't know why trial and error would ever be considered an acceptable methodology for tightening drivetrain components. Loose lockrings, loose pedals, loose QRs, loose crank bolts and loose BB cups lead to often expensive damage.
Still in no way did I say something should be tightened less than what it needs to be. And that won't always be the specified torque which many times it just the maximum torque that should be applied or else exceeding that means you are risking damage, deformation and breakage.

However, my advice was for what one should do if they find something loose. And I would think that if one tightened it too loose the first time, then they haven't achieved the level of experience to sense when things are tight enough and about to risk that damage, deformation or breakage. So tightening more than before will give them the experience to continue leaning.

While you make the good point that there will be some damage to the free hub, it isn't life threatening, nor will it necessarily require immediate replacement of the free hub body. It's mainly an ugliness that might make it difficult to remove the cassette and I suppose some rings might clock to a slightly less than perfect position for the optimum shifting that the mfr. built into them.

If I was to use your method of tightening them tight as I could get them without any previous experience of what tight was for a nut or bolt of a particular size, then I'd be breaking the item I'm tightening or the wrench. I've broken more that a few breaker bars. But not on a bicycle.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-07-23 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-07-23, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01
Still in no way did I say something should be tightened less than what it needs to be. And that won't always be the specified torque which many times it just the maximum torque that should be applied or else exceeding that means you are risking damage, deformation and breakage.

However, my advice was for what one should do if they find something loose. And I would think that if one tightened it too loose the first time, then they haven't achieved the level of experience to sense when things are tight enough and about to risk that damage, deformation or breakage. So tightening more than before will give them the experience to continue leaning.

While you make the good point that there will be some damage to the free hub, it isn't life threatening, nor will it necessarily require immediate replacement of the free hub body. It's mainly an ugliness that might make it difficult to remove the cassette and I suppose some rings might clock to a slightly less than perfect position for the optimum shifting that the mfr. built into them.

If I was to use your method of tightening them tight as I could get them without any previous experience of what tight was for a nut or bolt of a particular size, then I'd be breaking the item I'm tightening or the wrench. I've broken more that a few breaker bars. But not on a bicycle.
I have never seen a freehub body stripped out or otherwise destroyed by overtightening the lockring. It is certainly possible, but not much of a danger considering that cassette spacers are plastic.

Some torque numbers are limits - like stem bolts on a carbon steerer. Others are recommendations to make sure you get in that range. A little above doesn't matter.

Yes, some people have no feel for the tools they are using. They can either learn from someone else, use their own deductions based on the length of the wrench handle supplied, or use a torque wrench. Bicycle mechanics aren't egalitarian - some people are going to screw it up if they have no prior knowledge or aptitude.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-07-23, 11:55 AM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2394 Post(s)
Liked 2,951 Times in 1,611 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Isn't it 40 Nm? That's more than you might think. I used a torque wrench on a cassette once and was surprised how much tighter 40 Nm was than what I'd been guessing. Still, I wouldn't buy a wrench just for this. I crank them down until they pop a half dozen times, very precise.
that is about right and 40nm is way more than you think it would IME I use a beam type torque wrench for this

as for everyone saying don't bother with a torque or get it tight enough, there is a reason a manufacturer specifies the torque needed, so why not follow it?

even small bolts like cable clamps take more forces than I had been using by feel.

Old 05-07-23, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by squirtdad
that is about right and 40nm is way more than you think it would IME I use a beam type torque wrench for this

as for everyone saying don't bother with a torque or get it tight enough, there is a reason a manufacturer specifies the torque needed, so why not follow it?

even small bolts like cable clamps take more forces than I had been using by feel.
Mainly because there is so little danger of over torque. If you make an honest attempt to get the lockring real damn tight with a 1 foot wrench, chances are that you did it right. It might be 37nM of 49nM, but it will hold correctly and not be damaged.

Torque wrenches were never much of a thing in cycling until carbon steerers and bars came along.. You'll even note that many crank/BB torque specs are actually huge ranges rather than a specific target.

If you have a question about how tight and you already own a torque wrench - why not use it. But if you have an adequate idea of what is required and you don't already own a $50 tool, why are you failing to install your cassette? Grease it and firmly tighten it down. Just like pedals.
Old 05-09-23, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 996 Posts
You guys have this all wrong. You dont tighten the lockring to keep it from turning. The heavily torqued lockring compresses the sprockets into each other so they hold position and dont clock into the freehub body.

Those super deep dents in the freehub splines? Under torqued lockrings.

Grease it and put it on TIGHT. Same with pedals.

A house would fall apart if the screws holding the studs together weren't locking the 2x4s into each other with high torque. Same idea.
I guess there are houses built screws, most studs are installed with nails.
Old 05-09-23, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I guess there are houses built screws, most studs are installed with nails.
And the same principle applies: The boards are locked together by the tension in the nail. If the nails were loose they would shear off.