Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Be Careful out there!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Be Careful out there!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2625 Post(s)
Liked 3,173 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by GhenghisKahn
^^^^^ "...victim blaming..." Is that like fat shaming, toxic masculinity, **** shaming, identity politics, TDS, intersexuality, manslaining, womansplaiining or countless other hipster buzzwords or phrases having entered contemporary vernacular in the last ten years? There are so many I begin to get salty tryna keep up.
Getting salty is the latest example of a hipster buzzword phrase, so you're keeping up just fine.

Last edited by cb400bill; 12-20-21 at 11:26 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-23-21, 08:33 PM

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I loved the Rider -1 hindsight ! He would have it all planned out ahead haha

Mike Tyson said this:
"They all had a plan till they got hit in the face"
Likes For frogman:
Old 12-23-21, 09:23 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
I loved the Rider -1 hindsight ! He would have it all planned out ahead haha

Mike Tyson said this:
"They all had a plan till they got hit in the face"

Who among us doesn't have a "jogger suddenly attacking me with a pipe" plan?

If I understand the story, the cyclist managed to get away unhurt on a bent wheel. Probably couldn't have done much better than that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-23-21, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
What the hell was the motive for doing that?
Drugs
Old 12-24-21, 12:30 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Image is everything.

I have a tendency to observe and note behavior of people (peds, motorists, other riders) around me whenever I ride and I also note what I was doing on any ride even what I wear and my hairstyle. I also observe incidents with other riders (what they're wearing, etc)

I observed that people tend to be nicer when I'm wearing commuter-oriented clothing as compared to pro-kit (more or less). People are more hostile/aggressive if you have closely-cropped hair - the longer your hair is, the nicer people became around you.

The helmet you wear is also factor. People are nicer if you wear road helmet BUT only if you're wearing commuter clothing. MTB helmets are the worst, followed by BMX helmets.

Note how the news article in OP's post, the weird guy's remark is that the rider "reminded him of someone...". Appearance can be a huge factor in addition to your actual behavior around people in rides. Things like making eye-to-eye contact with a motorist that's about to cross your path or when you're crossing lanes can make a difference, of course that requires wearing lightly or non-tinted eyewear.
WTF?!

.C'mon, this has nothing to do with the story. The jogger went there with a weapon, and his comment online is incoherent. There's no way to predict what might set off such a person or even if there was anything specific about the cyclist that did set him off.

The guy obviously went to the path prepared to assault somebody. Second-guessing the cyclist's appearance or whether he made eye contact? Ridiculous.
Old 12-25-21, 05:45 AM
Tragically Ignorant

We can never predict the outcome of a ride nor survive every accident nor encounter but we do our best to minimize the chance of untoward events like someone swinging a pipe at you or reducing the severity of injuries in the event of an accident like wearing a helmet.

I did a little experiment on how to make other people less furious at you as a rider. It put my observations to use and they really work. You'll be virtually invisible to deranged minds if you know how to blend in, no need to even have 120% situational awareness although that helps but is harder in practice.

Sorry, but that's just nonsense. You're not invisible and you have no way of knowing what will or won't set a person like this off. It could be the very things you're doing.

I've never been attacked like this but that's a matter of luck, not the result of any strategy on my part. The same is true for you, you've just convinced yourself otherwise.

It's a well-known psychological effect known as the "fundamental attribution error". When bad things happen to other people, we blame them for bringing it on themselves, when it happens to us, we're just unlucky.

This was an extremely unlikely event that couldn't be anticipated. Obviously, the rider did a really good job of escaping any serious injury, so let's stop second-guessing him and making absurd claims that we would have avoided it or handled it better. Talk is cheap, you weren't there.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-25-21, 06:38 AM
Tragically Ignorant

I deal with shirtless guys standing in the middle of the bike lane on a regular basis. My ride out is a street with plenty of homeless living at the side of the streets.

The have random behavior at different days. Sometimes they're amicable, sometimes, they will try to chase you down and grab you. Sometimes, there's more than one shirtless guys chasing each other like they want to kill each other.

The homeless kids are even worse as they come armed with knives. The trick is you don't stand out to gain their attention.

Since I doubt you guys deal with shirtless bums on a daily basis, I don't think my advice would be of any use.
Agreed. You're describing a strategy one employs where violence is somewhat systematic and "normal". That's obviously not the norm on the Katy.

That being said, I do have paths I won't ride because of what I consider an unacceptable risk of being mugged. It's a matter of knowing your local conditions.
Old 12-25-21, 07:39 PM

Bikes: CB4 COGBURN FAT TIRE MOUNTAIN BIKE, with severe modifications

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Wow! I can tell many of you live in a totally different world then I do.
Old 12-26-21, 05:34 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Lastmohecken
Wow! I can tell many of you live in a totally different world then I do.

​​​​​​Are there lots of MUPs on Venus?
Old 12-26-21, 07:26 AM

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Apparently things were even worse in 1914.

Likes For kaos joe:
Old 12-26-21, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
No, what's typical of this forum is not being able to say anything with out someone challenging, attempting to dominate, and calling out posters for no reason. What's typical of this, and all forums, are obsessive-compulsive members who always have to chime in and have the last word.I have, 100%, avoided sketchy situations because I had situational awareness. Foresight, not hindsight, proven in the real world. I have also pointed out potential situations that others had no clue was unfolding around them. Come on, guys walking around shirtless are usually flashing neon signs of trouble, if not psychos like this guys, then at least likely to have an anti-social attitude. But hey, you do you and believe that everything is beautiful in it’s own way. You have to have a special kind of anger to say that “I don’t blame you” actually means “I blame you”. I’m not blaming him, as I understand that awareness has limits, and that I am more aware than average, but I do put a certain amount of responsibility on people who put their heads in the sand.

You just made me remember a time many years ago, when a friend and I were hanging out in a park at night with a couple of girls A few creepy guys started to assemble a little too close to us, given the space available. They were clearly checking us out. My friend and I noticed, and simply suggested to the girls that we move on to a new location. They had no clue what was happening. Later, my friend commented, “man, those girls were just protected and don’t even know it”.

Enjoy being victimized.
Old 12-26-21, 09:14 AM

I’d imagine treating every bike ride like a Combat Patrol would become exhausting very quickly, and you’re fooling yourself if you want us to believe that you’re that spooled up all the time. It’s the Katy trail, not Kabul.[/QUOTE]
You don't have to be spooled up all the time. I'm actually very relaxed and social, and usually in a zone when I ride, just naturally very aware of freaks and danger. Being relaxed and aware are not mutually exclusive. I guess that's why I have very few accidents while I see people wipe out from hitting very obvious pinecones on the trail. I have a heightened self-preservation instinct.
Old 12-26-21, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7143 Post(s)
Liked 11,325 Times in 4,839 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider_1
You just made me remember a time many years ago, when a friend and I were hanging out in a park at night with a couple of girls A few creepy guys started to assemble a little too close to us, given the space available. They were clearly checking us out. My friend and I noticed, and simply suggested to the girls that we move on to a new location. They had no clue what was happening. Later, my friend commented, “man, those girls were just protected and don’t even know it”.

Enjoy being victimized.
This reads like a Ron Burgundy monologue.
Old 12-26-21, 09:47 AM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Hardrock Disc; 199? Royce Union freestyle bike; 2021 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
He's clearly mentally ill. I wouldn't assume we really know whether he intended to assault a cyclist or if that just happened to be the first person he encountered.
I’m not giving that guy the benefit of the doubt. The article posted a quote he made defending himself saying that the victim reminded him of a ‘tattletale coworker and looked like he was from Californa’.

He’s just an effing d-bag a-hole.

Last edited by nel e nel; 12-26-21 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-26-21, 09:50 AM
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 551 Posts
No, what's typical of this forum is not being able to say anything with out someone challenging, attempting to dominate, and calling out posters for no reason. What's typical of this, and all forums, are obsessive-compulsive members who always have to chime in and have the last word.I have, 100%, avoided sketchy situations because I had situational awareness.
Enjoy being victimized.
So, do you consider yourself an Alpha, or a Sigma?
Old 12-26-21, 10:17 AM
Tragically Ignorant

No, what's typical of this forum is not being able to say anything with out someone challenging, attempting to dominate, and calling out posters for no reason. What's typical of this, and all forums, are obsessive-compulsive members who always have to chime in and have the last word.I have, 100%, avoided sketchy situations because I had situational awareness. Foresight, not hindsight, proven in the real world. I have also pointed out potential situations that others had no clue was unfolding around them. Come on, guys walking around shirtless are usually flashing neon signs of trouble, if not psychos like this guys, then at least likely to have an anti-social attitude. But hey, you do you and believe that everything is beautiful in it’s own way. You have to have a special kind of anger to say that “I don’t blame you” actually means “I blame you”. I’m not blaming him, as I understand that awareness has limits, and that I am more aware than average, but I do put a certain amount of responsibility on people who put their heads in the sand.

Enjoy being victimized.

I know whose sock puppet you are.

No one believes your situational awareness is anything special or that you would've seen this coming. The fact that you're trying to convince everyone else of this absurdity is really not a good look. Enjoy overcompensating for your obvious insecurities.

​​​​​​
Old 12-26-21, 10:21 AM
Tragically Ignorant

You don't have to be spooled up all the time. I'm actually very relaxed and social, and usually in a zone when I ride, just naturally very aware of freaks and danger. Being relaxed and aware are not mutually exclusive. I guess that's why I have very few accidents while I see people wipe out from hitting very obvious pinecones on the trail. I have a heightened self-preservation instinct.
Unlike us poor slobs who go to the zoo and try to play with the bears?

Do you congratulate yourself every time you don't trip and fall down the stairs?

I've never seen anyone wipe out from a pine cone, these claims are completely ridiculous.
Old 12-26-21, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've never seen anyone wipe out from a pine cone, these claims are completely ridiculous.
OMG, this is rich! "I've never seen it, therefore it's never happened". Are you a flat earther too? Hahahaha! You are so far off base about everything, but whatever.

As I said, obsessive-compulsive. You’ve posted an average of 7 posts a day for three and a half years. No wonder you’re so naive. You never leave the house! Of course you haven't seen anything! When do you have time to ride?
Old 12-26-21, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
So, do you consider yourself an Alpha, or a Sigma?
That’s a bizarre question based on what you quoted. There’s no connection. It’s like asking you if you have a pet name for your penis.

Anyway, I don’t identify as either, or any ridiculous label for that matter. Like most individuals, I’m insignificant and just fade into the background. It sounds like you consider yourself one of those, though.
Old 12-26-21, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
Give it a brake guys.
Likes For Airfehr:
Old 12-26-21, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Airfehr
Give it a brake guys.
He's the one slap fighting. I'm landing clean bombs! But yeah, maybe I'll take off for a week or so. That'll drive him nuts!
Old 12-26-21, 10:58 AM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,286 Posts
Cyclist should of stopped and call police when he saw some shirtless weirdo with a steel pipe on an MUP.
Old 12-26-21, 11:13 AM

A few bad apples in any sport give it a bad name. Most motorcycle riders are good people who follow the rules. But a few dirt riders in a closed to motor vehicles area or a couple squids riding wheels through traffic make the entire group look bad. I see a lot of animosity towards bicyclists from non riders. A popular ride in Vegas is the Red Rock loop. On weekends it's very common to have bicycles riding four or five abreast impeding traffic. This image gets projected on to all riders. I am not defending anyone attacking riders. Just trying to understand where the anger comes from.

A couple guys in my motorcycling group like to bag on bicyclists for not waiting at red lights. They do the same when there is no traffic. The sitting duck logic for not waiting is the same for both groups. All of these guys have friends who have been rear ended at stop lights but they are too arrogant to acknowledge other groups have a similar danger.

I don't have answer to fix the stereotype given to bicyclists. Understand other perspectives maybe a start. I will never understand someones need to become violent.

Cyclist shot with BB gun.
https://www.cyclenews.com/2020/06/ar...while-cycling/
Old 12-26-21, 11:21 AM

He's the one slap fighting. I'm landing clean bombs! But yeah, maybe I'll take off for a week or so. That'll drive him nuts!
Looks like two red heads making fun of each other to me. Take your bombs somewhere else.
Old 12-26-21, 11:53 AM
Tragically Ignorant

OMG, this is rich! "I've never seen it, therefore it's never happened". Are you a flat earther too? Hahahaha! You are so far off base about everything, but whatever.

As I said, obsessive-compulsive. You’ve posted an average of 7 posts a day for three and a half years. No wonder you’re so naive. You never leave the house! Of course you haven't seen anything! When do you have time to ride?
I rode 5500 miles this year, but whatever. Point is you're crowing about avoiding things that almost never happen.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.