Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used Scuba wetsuit gear for cycling?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Has anyone used Scuba wetsuit gear for cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 01:26 PM

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by twodownzero
You would absolutely die with the lack of ventilation in a wetsuit. It is designed to have water flowing through it 100% of the time. There is basically zero amount of time that wearing a wetsuit is ever comfortable outside of the water.

FYI: I have been a certified diver for many years and have numerous dives in my log in all sorts of wetsuits of various thicknesses for water between ~55 degrees F and 80+.
I became certified (and got my advanced cert, though have done no other specialty certs beyond that) while on a military deployment (yes, really) and got in around 70 dives, including 20 or so night dives (mostly in low-vis). The water where we were at was almost always around 80 degrees, so my wetsuit was a fairly thin (2 mil?) affair, and even with a relatively thin suit like that I completely agree with you that there is zero time when you are comfortable in that thing out of the water.

This reminds me, I really need to get back in the water. I don't want that to be just this thing I did during one period of my life and then never did it again. Btw: people think cycling can be an endless money pit. LOL.
Old 12-11-17, 01:49 PM

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
yeah. it's completely normal. Please don't forget to wear the flippers too.
Old 12-11-17, 02:10 PM
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I tried wearing my neoprene paddling gloves once a few years back.
They were really warm and toasty at first, then my hands started to sweat, then they froze solid (temp was about -5F)
Would not recommend.
Old 12-11-17, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Sooo...for maybe three months in the late fall, early winter of 1990 I commuted maybe 7 miles each way to and from the Navy base in Bremerton WA on a 27" hybrid. On especially cold, rainy days I wore a 3mm wetsuit, because being a rec diver, its what I had and it seemed to work just fine...under those conditions. For weather that is not both cold and wet, I don't think it would be a viable option at all.

Keith
Old 12-11-17, 09:53 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
I wore a rashie on one ride. Not as heavyweight as scuba gear or a wetsuit. Never again. Talk about sweating up a storm!!

I also have two wetsuits for when we play in the water with the body/boogie boards.

There's a reason people go into cold water in that sort of gear.
Old 12-11-17, 10:05 PM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
What's wrong with regular cycling specific clothing?
Because most all cycling specific clothing is designed/sold for fairly mild European winters....where maybe the mercury gets to 30F. Not Siberian-grade winters of even 20F or below (with evil wind). It just isn't. I've yet to see cycling-specific clothing, particularly bottom half rated that low or lower. I have a cycling-specific jacket from Voler good down that low by-itself....but even Voler's coldest winter tights say "down to 35F".....basically your only choice is to layer like the dickens.

Cold makes you think up all kinds of schemes to beat it. I've wondered about wetsuits myself, being a landlocked land-lubber where our winters make Russians who fled Siberia think, "I did not move here to live in Siberia again".

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 12-11-17 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-12-17, 05:15 AM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Because most all cycling specific clothing is designed/sold for fairly mild European winters....where maybe the mercury gets to 30F. Not Siberian-grade winters of even 20F or below (with evil wind). It just isn't. I've yet to see cycling-specific clothing, particularly bottom half rated that low or lower. I have a cycling-specific jacket from Voler good down that low by-itself....but even Voler's coldest winter tights say "down to 35F".....basically your only choice is to layer like the dickens.

Cold makes you think up all kinds of schemes to beat it. I've wondered about wetsuits myself, being a landlocked land-lubber where our winters make Russians who fled Siberia think, "I did not move here to live in Siberia again".
Where I live is not exactly Florida or SoCal but I never thought, hmm, a wet suit might just be the ticket...so full marks for creativity.

You can have really warm stuff, or you can have stuff that allows you freedom of movement and air/moisture circulation; but you can't have both.
Old 12-12-17, 05:55 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
yeah. it's completely normal. Please don't forget to wear the flippers too.
Next question: Where can I get SPD flippers?
Old 12-12-17, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Um...jeans and a T-shirt?
Old 12-12-17, 07:23 AM

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 805 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by 2seven0
No I live in So. California it doesn't get that cold. That said as a surfer you'll be much happier with a surfing wetsuit vs. a dive suit. The neoprene is much more flexible and the suits are designed with movement in mind. You won't need anywhere near 5 mil a 1-2 mil suit will work fine. Just a 1 or 1.5 mil top or a short leg & sleeve springsuit to keep your core warm. You can find online sales all the time or visit a local surf shop.
Remember that when you sweat it's locked in.
West
Yes that the key point "Remember that when you sweat it's locked in". Great for staying warm in the cold water but not what you will want cycling. Use layering with good materials to allow air flow.
Old 12-12-17, 07:31 AM

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
I have over 1500 dives in a variety of water temps wearing wetsuits, drysuits and all kinds of layering. Remember that wetsuits are designed to keep you wet, with a warm layer of water between your skin and the suit. If the moisture is your own sweat, the neoprene gets nasty-smelly in a hurry as soon as the bacteria get to work on it. Also, peeing in your suit on dry land is not a good idea.
Old 12-12-17, 09:49 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I've yet to see cycling-specific clothing, particularly bottom half rated that low or lower. I have a cycling-specific jacket from Voler good down that low by-itself....but even Voler's coldest winter tights say "down to 35F".....basically your only choice is to layer like the dickens.
I've worn my Nashbar tights down to single digits. Never felt the need for anything else. Of course, such things are personal, but my legs generate quite a bit of heat when moving and not much is needed. I suspect with some long underwear, they'd take care of any realistic riding scenario I could find myself in.
Old 12-12-17, 11:22 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I think a better bet would be to look at XC skiing clothes.