Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Testing the New Brooks Cambium Saddle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Road Testing the New Brooks Cambium Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 08:20 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I think it's not beta testing, but marketing. They want people to want one. They want everyone to know someone who has one.
It's actually just another step toward the new world order.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-03-13, 02:32 PM

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 41 Posts
I just opened a package fro Great Britain a moment ago to reveal the Brooks Cambium C17 saddle. Photos and details to come very soon.
Old 06-03-13, 03:06 PM

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

This is what arrived in the mail today.

Brooks seemed to be concerned about initial reactions and I have to say that upon opening the package, the experience was a little underwhelming.

The saddle does come wrapped in this cool bag, though. And there's all this other marketing stuff that I haven't even looked over yet.

OK, so here's the saddle itself. Reminds me of the shape of a Selle Regal - which is fine by me since that happens to be one of my saddles of choice.

The sides of the saddle are flexible - interesting!

The fabric upper seems to be embedded into the Vulcanized Rubber platform.

A bit heavier than I expected... but also much lighter than a Brooks Professional, right?

Overall pretty well crafted... until I noticed this worrisome spot on the underside, where the saddle upper is fastened to the bracket. At first I thought it was a crack, and naturally enough I thought to myself, "Self, there's no frickin' way you're riding this thing." Upon closer inspection, it appears that the person manning the power screwdriver got a little overzealous and marred the surface as the driver was being removed. Still makes me wonder if that has created a stress point that will fail. This one thing kind of mars the satisfaction I initially felt.
Old 06-03-13, 03:10 PM
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Looks like a quaint, tweedy Windsor kind of Regal. Which bike are you going to put it on?
Old 06-03-13, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
I guess the quality control department sent out the rejects to the initial field testers.
Hey, it's Vulcanized it Italy. Go figure.

Seriously ...,good luck with the test rides Azorch.
Old 06-03-13, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Italuminium
Looks like a quaint, tweedy Windsor kind of Regal. Which bike are you going to put it on?
Y'know, I'd originally planned to try it out on my International that I converted to a three-speed (and I may still do that), but first I'm going to try it out on my Boulder Brevet. I want to know if the flexible sides are a plus or a minus for me on a long-ish ride.
Old 06-03-13, 03:21 PM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
I wonder if they can use that nice aluminum cantle on their leather saddles too..... Looks like it could be a very nice replacement for their chromed steel cantle plates.
I suspect that most of the weight might be coming from the dense rubber base. I'm a bit surprised how heavy it still is, I was hoping for something below 400 grams, but I guess light weight was never really what Brooks saddles were all about anyway.....
Old 06-03-13, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chombi
I wonder if they can use that nice aluminum cantle on their leather saddles too
I sure like the look of it... very "space age-y"
Old 06-03-13, 03:59 PM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

As they are advertising the "Vulcanized" construction so much in their literature and the saddle itself, I'm now suspecting that the fabric cover is not just glued (cold vulcanized) on to the rubber base, but maybe a stronger "hot vulcanized" bonding process might have been used, so you pretty much have to wear off the fabric down to the rubber base (kinda like a reverse, inside-out process of how a tire might wear, to wear out the saddle out where in this case, you will be wearing the "chords" out to get to the rubber.....
Old 06-03-13, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Price is going to be a major factor for me.

Especially since I can get a nice Regal for peanuts.

$79 for a saddle that fits me perfectly.

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=2053

Old 06-03-13, 04:32 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
This Cambium saddle is pretty but I don't understand it. Isn't nearly every other bicycle saddle in the world slick-surfaced? How is this going to be comfortable, and not just chafe?

Although I also recently saw this thing from Prologo, which I don't understand either. It's only grippy on your you-know-what. It looks like some flip-flops I had once.
Old 06-03-13, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
This Cambium saddle is pretty but I don't understand it. Isn't nearly every other bicycle saddle in the world slick-surfaced? How is this going to be comfortable, and not just chafe?

Although I also recently saw this thing from Prologo, which I don't understand either. It's only grippy on your you-know-what. It looks like some flip-flops I had once.
Ewwwww, that Prologo looks like a no go for me.

Sandpaper in that area is something I can do without.

The Cambium looks like a great shape though. Can't wait to hear ride reports.
Old 06-03-13, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Ewwwww, that Prologo looks like a no go for me.

Sandpaper in that area is something I can do without.
Maybe there's a special "Velcro" pair of shorts that goes with it?
Old 06-03-13, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Cambium looks great. Looking forward to ride reports. The prologo also looks great. If you have ever raced triathlon you will understand that saddle. They call it Hang two my friends, 90% of the time your boys are nowhere near those grips. You might think it sounds uncomfortable, but when you are sustaining you are going at yout 80-90 threshold there is a lot less pressure down there due to the force you are exerting pushing on the pedals.
Old 06-03-13, 05:46 PM

OK, so this is my totally unfair first impression, which I have gotten from riding up and down the street to fine tune the height and set back.

1. The Cambrium fits pretty much like a Selle Regal. And there you have it in a nutshell! Perhaps it is very slightly wider at the sit bones, but if it is then it's not by much. My first thought though is that if you like the Regal, you'll probably like this saddle too.

2. I had to adjust the height to be about 1/2 centimeter higher than my Regal for some reason. That could simply be because I'm not used to this saddle; neither was I warmed up for a ride. One nice thing is that I can adjust the set back a tiny bit further than I can on my newer model Regal - I did not compare to my vintage Regals, by the way, but I will just in case there's a difference that I don't immediately recall. I want to say right now that I find it ironic that none of my initial reactions were a comparison to the Brooks saddles I have mounted on some of my bikes - only the Regal. At any rate, I do like the ability to set up with a slightly longer reach, which appeals to my own riding fit.

3. Just pedaling up and down the street I did not notice anything - pro or con - relating to the flexibility of the saddle. Perhaps my opinion will change with a longer ride.

4. I have to admit that it's going to take me a while to get used to looking at this pale, beige color rather than the honey brown I normally have mounted. It's purely an aesthetic response and it could probably grow on me with time and acceptance, but it is weird at the moment.

5. I don't mind the rough texture - in fact, I rather like it. Sometimes I'm not a big fan of the really slick saddle surfaces to begin with. I think if you ride in shorts - essentially in non-Lycra clothing - there will be those who like the grippiness. I wonder if the sides will chafe or chew up riding shorts though... on the short ride tonight I didn't notice any friction though - maybe that's a product of the flex, but again, a longer ride will begin to sort things out. I'll be doing that tomorrow, after I finish the stack of interview candidates I've got set up.

More reporting soon.
Old 06-03-13, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Cambium looks great. Looking forward to ride reports. The prologo also looks great. If you have ever raced triathlon you will understand that saddle. They call it Hang two my friends, 90% of the time your boys are nowhere near those grips. You might think it sounds uncomfortable, but when you are sustaining you are going at yout 80-90 threshold there is a lot less pressure down there due to the force you are exerting pushing on the pedals.
Good explanation.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-13, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by AZORCH
OK, so this is my totally unfair first impression, which I have gotten from riding up and down the street to fine tune the height and set back.

1. The Cambrium fits pretty much like a Selle Regal. And there you have it in a nutshell! Perhaps it is very slightly wider at the sit bones, but if it is then it's not by much. My first thought though is that if you like the Regal, you'll probably like this saddle too.

2. I had to adjust the height to be about 1/2 centimeter higher than my Regal for some reason. That could simply be because I'm not used to this saddle; neither was I warmed up for a ride. One nice thing is that I can adjust the set back a tiny bit further than I can on my newer model Regal - I did not compare to my vintage Regals, by the way, but I will just in case there's a difference that I don't immediately recall. I want to say right now that I find it ironic that none of my initial reactions were a comparison to the Brooks saddles I have mounted on some of my bikes - only the Regal. At any rate, I do like the ability to set up with a slightly longer reach, which appeals to my own riding fit.

3. Just pedaling up and down the street I did not notice anything - pro or con - relating to the flexibility of the saddle. Perhaps my opinion will change with a longer ride.

4. I have to admit that it's going to take me a while to get used to looking at this pale, beige color rather than the honey brown I normally have mounted. It's purely an aesthetic response and it could probably grow on me with time and acceptance, but it is weird at the moment.

5. I don't mind the rough texture - in fact, I rather like it. Sometimes I'm not a big fan of the really slick saddle surfaces to begin with. I think if you ride in shorts - essentially in non-Lycra clothing - there will be those who like the grippiness. I wonder if the sides will chafe or chew up riding shorts though... on the short ride tonight I didn't notice any friction though - maybe that's a product of the flex, but again, a longer ride will begin to sort things out. I'll be doing that tomorrow, after I finish the stack of interview candidates I've got set up.

More reporting soon.
Thanks.

How are we going to match bar tape?
Old 06-03-13, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by gomango
Thanks.

How are we going to match bar tape?
Top one looks like a decent match, but cotton would look good with this saddle.

https://www.amazon.com/XLC-Bar-Tape-G...d_sim_sbs_sg_5
Old 06-03-13, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Natural" cork should also be a close match.
Old 06-03-13, 07:12 PM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 2,233 Times in 980 Posts
It piques my interest. Looking forward to a ride report after 20+ miles. What kind of shorts/pants were you wearing? Any friction?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 06-03-13, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
It piques my interest. Looking forward to a ride report after 20+ miles. What kind of shorts/pants were you wearing? Any friction?
I was wearing running shorts at the time because I was just trying to dial in the saddle height and set back. But no, perhaps a little surprisingly I didn't notice any awkward friction (which I was paying attention to.) Quite the contrary, in fact. I did feel firmly planted though, and that was pleasant.

Unless it pours tomorrow, I'll get in 20 or 30 miles in the afternoon. Everything I've related thus far doesn't really give this product a fair shake, of course. It'll take miles to reach a decision - remember, if you had a brand spanking new B-17 you would probably not feel the same on your initial ride as you would 500 miles later. The other important factor is that this is a saddle we're talking about and, as they say: YMMV!
Old 06-04-13, 11:35 AM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 808 Posts
My 2 or 3 cents:
it looks so much like a Regal cause it's basically another product from the same people, despite all the Brooks branding.

I wonder what the long-term wear will be of what is essentially the substitution of vulcanized rubber for plastic in the shell material.

The bonded fabric will probably wear away in the high friction zones of the sides and next on the sit-bone area of the top...then you'll be on-contact with the rubber. How long will that take? You testers will find out for them.

Yes, the little scar from assembly tool does cause a little stress-riser, but I wouldn't be too concerned since there seems to be plenty of alloy there.

What concerns me (long term) is the steel (right?) rails shoved into the alloy cantle: that dissimilar material combo is just asking for galling and corrosion, the wetter it gets the worse it'll be. But I'd bet the top falls apart well before the metal parts crack from corrosion.

Upside to this construction is it looks like the top is screwed onto the undercarriage with Torx "Chicago binder bolts" so you could possibly swap in a replacement top when it does wear out...if Brooks allows...and maybe some other colors/fabrics by then, too (?)

OK, that was more like 4-cents....

Last edited by unworthy1; 06-04-13 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-04-13, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by AZORCH

The best view we have of the saddle so far and it looks very handsome. Shape-wise, it looks very "sexy" in this pic. plus the modern canle design looks refreshing.
I'm not looking for a textile saddle, but give me that thing with a leather cover on it and I might be first in line to buy one!

Chombi
Old 06-04-13, 12:16 PM
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
More photos, please! Let's see some shots where we can see the whole saddle from various angles on the bike.
Old 06-04-13, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
More photos, please! Let's see some shots where we can see the whole saddle from various angles on the bike.
Coming!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.