Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid, Road bike, Mountain bike, Fixie or what ever

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Hybrid, Road bike, Mountain bike, Fixie or what ever

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-11, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
In the few years I have been coming to bikeforums, I have found the C&V board to be one that is almost completely friendly and supportive. Pretty much any old (or really not terrible old) bike gets in, heavy or light, hi-end or low end cruiser.

I think that hybrids came about to fill the void left by the elimination of sports touring bikes from many company's offerings during the mountain bike boom of the 80's and early 90's. Now they did bring a few mountain bike features over (straight or riser handle bars, mountain bike controls and drive trains, and now front suspensions) but the space they fill, I think, is the fitness/recreational space that sport touring road bikes were aimed at.

I have had a few hybrids pass through my hands (with 700c wheels) and I liked them. My current ride (for the past few years) has been a hybridized mountain bike with slick tires and trekking handle bars. A great combination, even if some people think the bars look a little funny.
Old 04-25-11, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For me my hybrid was exactly that - I didn't know what kind of bike I wanted so went with a hybrid. It worked, but I never truly liked it - found out that I'm much more of a road bike person and since converted my hybrid to a fixed gear drop bars bike and now I truly like it

You can get some very sporty good quality hybrids though, but for me I like to have 1 bike for each job, not 1 that can do them all.
Old 04-25-11, 06:24 AM

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
Well ... no I don't think he's silly at all.
First off he build his bike himself to his own standards ... he didn't just copy.
Aparently he put a lot of money in it but we each live with our own budget and I don't judge that.
And most of all: he uses that bike sportively and goes fast on it.
He wears a nice outfit but not with team colors or anything.
So in fact ... I'm completely with him
It is refreshing to see that you are softening your position regarding bikes that cost in excess of $1,000, and recognize that there is indeed a point to having a bike like that, even if one is not a "professional".
Old 04-25-11, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 152 Posts
This tread is a bit the same as what is a hybrid bike "seen a few of those" and there's never been a clear answer to that because the category is so diverse,so it figures that hybrid riders have to be a pretty diverse group of people.
So there's going to be people that take it really serious right down to people that have never thrown a leg over a bike before.
It needs to be that way to keep it the best forum for hybrid riders on the net which it is and I cant count how many times a newbe has posted on here asking for advise mainly from experienced hybrid riders and others that have bikes or parts there interested in.
Never have I seen anyone look down on any newbe or inexperienced person in a snobby who the hell are you I'm better than you way, infact its the opposite everyone is willing to help and encourage.
As for personal attacks on people well the problem with the net is were not talking face to face or even on the phone and I think what seems like an attack actually may be said with a smile in person and is easily taken out of context.
Also were from allover the world with different backgrounds and cultures and need to respect that to.
Basically all I'm saying is there's nothing wrong with the forum as it is and has good balance. So have a nice day.
Old 04-25-11, 07:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well,I may be jumping in when I shouldn't, since I'm new around here. But, as a member of many forums of many different topics, I think the point the OP was trying to make was valid. And the reactions to his post somewhat reaffirmed that.

There are always people on topic specific forums that come off as pretentious know-it-alls. Just because you ARE professional, elitist, or whatever other word you would like to throw in there, you are a person like everyone else. And should respond to those who are new in this world, with patience and encouragement.

I can see why you would feel "offended", I suppose, if you are a professional or what have you. But in all honesty, who cares? Who cares if you are professional, new, or somewhere in between. Do what you love, do it your way. Who the heck cares what else other people say? Why the need to react to people's well intentioned comments/posts with such indignation? I don't get it.

Just my $0.02.
Old 04-25-11, 07:31 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 45 Posts
Nice essay, Timber_8. I agree with just about all you said... except that you can't avoid bigotry in cycling. Haters gonna hate and all that. Don't let 'em get ya down.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-25-11, 08:55 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
This tread is a bit the same as what is a hybrid bike "seen a few of those" and there's never been a clear answer to that because the category is so diverse,so it figures that hybrid riders have to be a pretty diverse group of people.
So there's going to be people that take it really serious right down to people that have never thrown a leg over a bike before.
It needs to be that way to keep it the best forum for hybrid riders on the net which it is and I cant count how many times a newbe has posted on here asking for advise mainly from experienced hybrid riders and others that have bikes or parts there interested in.
Never have I seen anyone look down on any newbe or inexperienced person in a snobby who the hell are you I'm better than you way, infact its the opposite everyone is willing to help and encourage.
As for personal attacks on people well the problem with the net is were not talking face to face or even on the phone and I think what seems like an attack actually may be said with a smile in person and is easily taken out of context.
Also were from allover the world with different backgrounds and cultures and need to respect that to.
Basically all I'm saying is there's nothing wrong with the forum as it is and has good balance. So have a nice day.
Nice way of putting it.
I agree completely.
Old 04-25-11, 09:37 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man I just joined this forum and didn't know there was some background drama regarding hybrid bikers

I haven't ridden a bike in over 15 years. I recently picked up a Specialized Sirrus and absolutely LOVE it. I did 12 miles yesterday (mixed trail/road) and am hooked. I didn't know there was bashing here on road bikers or MTN bikers. I want some biker shorts btw because I heard there's some padding on the butt, also from my friends that cycle they tell me nothing feels better than cycling with shorts.
Old 04-25-11, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by pixelharmony
Man I just joined this forum and didn't know there was some background drama regarding hybrid bikers

I haven't ridden a bike in over 15 years. I recently picked up a Specialized Sirrus and absolutely LOVE it. I did 12 miles yesterday (mixed trail/road) and am hooked. I didn't know there was bashing here on road bikers or MTN bikers. I want some biker shorts btw because I heard there's some padding on the butt, also from my friends that cycle they tell me nothing feels better than cycling with shorts.

"o" where just chewing some fat, nothing to worry about here.
I buy all my cloths in person at the shops and not online that way you know it fits right.
Old 04-25-11, 10:31 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah me too ... I buy everything online except the clothing & shoes.

Forums are a place to discuss and sometimes discussions get personal.
That's just the way it is.
Let's just try to keep it friendly.
Old 04-25-11, 10:58 AM

Bikes: Several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice bike ....

Speaking of shorts, I just got some Sugoi Viper shorts and they are the nicest I've had so far. They are on sale right now at various places on the net.

Old 04-25-11, 11:50 AM

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, many (younger) riders do start off with hybrids and go on to roadies. Very common for the local club riders I randomely get together with. And I see no fault in that. Those of us that are lucky enough to enjoy cycling as a whole, cherish our C&V, our rando´s, our utility bikes and hybrids just as much. Thers no conflict really. And theres certainly no difference between riders wearing tights or not. The hybrids seem to attract every aspect of human category and isnt that the magic with hybrids? Its versatile, therefor a clever choice for a variety of riding. I´ve ridden all my life, and without doubt my hybrid is the most useful bike i ever had, but it`ll never be the most enjoyable.
Old 04-25-11, 03:29 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Man I just joined this forum and didn't know there was some background drama regarding hybrid bikers ...
To tell the truth, I was unaware of it also.
Old 04-25-11, 03:32 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MommyOnTheMove
...Just my $0.02.
Highly overpriced.
Old 04-25-11, 03:34 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
Well said.
Old 04-25-11, 03:42 PM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by javal
Actually, many (younger) riders do start off with hybrids and go on to roadies. Very common for the local club riders I randomely get together with. And I see no fault in that. Those of us that are lucky enough to enjoy cycling as a whole, cherish our C&V, our rando´s, our utility bikes and hybrids just as much. Thers no conflict really. And theres certainly no difference between riders wearing tights or not. The hybrids seem to attract every aspect of human category and isnt that the magic with hybrids? Its versatile, therefor a clever choice for a variety of riding. I´ve ridden all my life, and without doubt my hybrid is the most useful bike i ever had, but it`ll never be the most enjoyable.
I couldn't agree with you more
Old 04-25-11, 03:44 PM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Nice essay, Timber_8. I agree with just about all you said... except that you can't avoid bigotry in cycling. Haters gonna hate and all that. Don't let 'em get ya down.
It is very unfortunate, but fear not my Hyades has come to an end
Old 04-25-11, 03:52 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hyades?

from Wikipedia "In Greek mythology, the Hyades (pronounced /ˈhaɪ.ədiːz/; Ancient Greek: Ὑάδες "the rainy ones"), are a sisterhood of nymphs that bring rain."
Old 04-25-11, 04:03 PM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Hyades?

from Wikipedia "In Greek mythology, the Hyades (pronounced /ˈhaɪ.ədiːz/; Ancient Greek: Ὑάδες "the rainy ones"), are a sisterhood of nymphs that bring rain."
sounds good to me
Old 04-25-11, 04:21 PM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'm sorry I found your post condescending.

My apologies to your bikes for any comments they may have perceived as insults.

I have some strong, perhaps biased, opinions on the subject of bicycles. I'm not going to apologize for that. Feel free to offer a different opinion when you disagree with one of mine.
Lets forget it, I don't hold grudges against you or anyone for that matter. This is not our 1st and hardly are last. Most of the time I find you a valuable & knowledgeable contributor to the forum. Your people in the street photography is among the best. I don't really care what your issue is with me, I'll just bite your head off every now and then.
Old 04-25-11, 05:03 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I already forgot about any bad feelings I supposedly had towards you. I sort of remember defending you in the past although I guess I should have stayed out of the discussion which mods rightly deemed inappropriate and deleted the whole thing. Honestly, I don't have issues with you, I enjoy your posts, just found this thread somewhat paternalistic.

If your meant hiatus, welcome back, but I think you've announced your return before...

We answer newbys questions. It would be easy to ingore the same question time after time, but we answer, no one says 'do a search'.

I remember one guy who posted pictures of his bike and he didn't even know to line up his tire logos with the valve stems! I didn't make fun, I told him in a nice way how we do it.
Old 04-25-11, 05:05 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the compliment on my photos. Here's the best one I took today.
Old 04-26-11, 02:46 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I remember one guy who posted pictures of his bike and he didn't even know to line up his tire logos with the valve stems! I didn't make fun, I told him in a nice way how we do it.
Euh? What?
Old 04-26-11, 04:29 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
Euh? What?
So when you get a flat you can check the puncture in the tube against the tire to be sure what ever punctured the tube is still not in the tire
Old 04-26-11, 05:29 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh thats neat ... never heard of that .. thx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.