Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which one and why?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Which one and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-23, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
That's exactly the point -- if one follows the manufacturer's instructions, in most cases, one needs to buy a new quicklink each time the chain is removed. And those manufacturers, it should be noted, have a lot more data than you do, on the reusability of these parts.

If you're going to recommend going against the maker's instructions, you should probably mention that your opinion contrasts with their position.
It's pretty clear that this is my opinion and individual experience. It's just a tip for those who wonder whether they have to buy a new link every time they undo one. Others here have the same experience and as mentioned most failures are installation error, not the link failing. I say do whatever you like that makes you feel comfortable IME, not necessary.
Old 12-07-23, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Don't know about other 'waxing afficionados' but I never clean my chain. I just keep lubing it with drip wax lube after the initial hot wax. Granted if I was riding dirt or gravel I probably would have to clean the chain every now and then.
The roads around here in semi-rural England are not far off gravel 😁
Old 12-07-23, 04:37 PM

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I have been using KMC links mutiple times for years and have never had a problem.
I keep a couple of spares in my seat bag, have helped out one other rider who somehow twisted their chain and broke a link.
I wax my chains off the bike.
Old 12-07-23, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
It does (especially cassette blocks) but you’re re-using or buying a chain link again there. I’m really careful with mine and have reused a few times without incident (10 and 11 speed) but I wouldn’t risk doing it as regularly as cleaning a chain.

I guess the waxing afficionados must do it all the time though.
edit - oo hadn’t seen those Connex links below before. That’s very clever. And the video I just watched talked about a reusable KMC link too. I guess either of those solves that little problem.

Honestly, I don’t think the second sentence there is intended as a qualifier for the first.
I have used either Shimano or KMC chains with their quick links. I have not noticed any deterioration (wear or play) in quick links from either manufacturers when reused a second or third time.
Old 12-07-23, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 707 Times in 450 Posts
I have the Park Tool CM-5.3. It can be messy, but it does a good job cleaning the chain. I use mineral spirits as the cleaning agent.
Old 12-07-23, 09:45 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26475 Post(s)
Liked 10,440 Times in 7,243 Posts
...I honestly do not understand why there is so much interest in bicycle chains, and their cleanliness and maintenance. Chain saw chains now...I get that.
Old 12-07-23, 10:10 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 2,065 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I honestly do not understand why there is so much interest in bicycle chains, and their cleanliness and maintenance. Chain saw chains now...I get that.
Do you use drain oil, bar oil, or wax? 25, 30, or 35 degree sharpening angle?
Old 12-07-23, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4553 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
That's exactly the point -- if one follows the manufacturer's instructions, in most cases, one needs to buy a new quicklink each time the chain is removed. And those manufacturers, it should be noted, have a lot more data than you do, on the reusability of these parts.

If you're going to recommend going against the maker's instructions, you should probably mention that your opinion contrasts with their position.
On most things I'd agree, but I worked at a shop where reusing quick links was the norm and it was NEVER an issue. The reason they don't want you to reuse them is that the little locking tab is only good once, but the tab isn't structural and there is no normal force to cause the link to compress.

But even if you are a stickler, KMC R reusable links are cheap. Connex links come with their chains, and I use mine for multiple chain replacements.

So I don't know why you're making such an issue about this.

On the actual topic, chain cleaners were invented back before quicklinks when detaching a chain meant using a chain tool. Now they don't make as much sense. You can clean a detached chain in an old water bottle of full of well-used citrus solvent in 5 minutes.

But I think that's a waste of time. If you have a thing for cleanliness, wax. It's cheap, quick and lubes well. If you think waxing a chain is too much work, why clean your chain since the chain manufacturers even say not to? Just over-oil it and wipe it off really well.