Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem Flatbar/SRAM Conversion Question

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Tandem Flatbar/SRAM Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 05:22 PM

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I am glad the o.p. finally decided to ask about the ergonomics of replacing the front shifter independently. I for one simply would not be able to abide even the mild difference in dimensions/throw/etc. that might result from simply sourcing any 3x front trigger that might be available other than the one expressly designed to work with the rear shifter of my choice. But we are all losing sight of the prize because all this talk of trigger shifters implies a change of fork and much more and I am just not sure that this is the way to go. The o.p. talked about a custom (steel) fork which is still going to have to match the 1.25" construction of the present carbon fork. I can only imagine that that fork is going to cost more than the entire 2024 value of the present tandem. The exaggeration (if) is only slight. Someone on planet Earth is capable of fabricating a carbon stem raiser in a 1.25" inch format so the o.p. can use their existing controls. The cost should not exceed the contemplated mods. Finding that fabricator would be my priority. Or finding a good Physical Therapist as an alternative. There is also the option of sourcing a tandem already built with an elevated cockpit for the Captain. I've seen these at Tandem Rallies. They must wind up on the classifieds market with some frequency.
I have sourced a new steel fork from Santana which has an uncut steerer tube. It should be arriving tomorrow according to UPS. This should allow me to raise the handlebars 4-6" which is more than necessary. With the proper height of the bars, I will decide whether to change from drop bars to flat bars. I will probably change to flat bars as they give me more control (I really liked them on the previous tandem), and I have all the parts I need (one of the Forum users reached out to me directly and sold me a set of Ultegra flat bar shifters and brake levers at a very reasonable price. Flat bars will also allow me to convert to a SRAM AXS rear derailleur and shifter pods at a reasonable cost.

The present value of the older tandem doesn't really work. The proper analysis is what it will cost to obtain/modify a tandem that fits both of us. I explored a new tandem (off the shelf and custom) and decided against it, primarily because as we age, changes will need to be made, so a new tandem isn't a long term solution.

The idea of using a Physical Therapist after every ride is somewhat amusing, but not practical.
Likes For PromptCritical:
Old 05-25-24, 06:34 AM

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

We just finished six days of riding in Southern Utah (Ceadr Breaks, Panguitch, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon and Zion).

Fantastic tour! (https://escapeadventures.com/tour/br...oad-bike-tour/)

Everything worked flawlessly except shifting in the rear. We are using a Microshift 11-42 cassette as we need the granny gear. There were many difficult shifts and a lot of double shifts. The bike shifts flawlessly on the stand in the garage, but poorly on the road (under light or heavy load). (New Deore XT rear derailleur with a Wolf roadlink and Shimano Sora 9-speed trigger shifter). The derailleur alignment and B-screw adjustment are correct.

Would a Shimano HG cassette make much difference? Any other potential fixes?
Old 05-25-24, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 514 Posts
Generally, shifting will suffer when using an extender like the roadlink. I would recommend swapping the derailleur with one made for the range you’re using. Did the shifting seem like it was worse in one end of the range than the other?
Old 05-25-24, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by bboy314
Generally, shifting will suffer when using an extender like the roadlink. I would recommend swapping the derailleur with one made for the range you’re using. Did the shifting seem like it was worse in one end of the range than the other?
I wondered about that. We didn’t do much shifting between the two largest cogs, but it was pretty bad everywhere else.

I’ll try removing the roadlink and changing to a cassette the derailleur can work with.

Thanks.
Old 05-28-24, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2531 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 535 Posts
I did not know Microshift made cassettes. Did the o.p. ascertain their compatibility with a Shimano rear derailleur? I am not sure of this, but I believe the long cage Deore RD's have a kind of built in roadlink and they are designed to work with some pretty big cassettes. If the o.p. is going through the trouble of redoing the drivetrain, I can't see it costing anymore money to get an RD that can work with the 11-42 cassette rather than getting a (11 - 36?) cassette that the present RD can handle. That would be a major step backwards in total gear range. Any number of things could be causing the poor shifting and I would not automatically assume it is any of the causes recent posts have suspected.
Old 05-28-24, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 514 Posts
Microshift cassettes are compatible with Shimano.
Old 05-28-24, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I did not know Microshift made cassettes. Did the o.p. ascertain their compatibility with a Shimano rear derailleur? I am not sure of this, but I believe the long cage Deore RD's have a kind of built in roadlink and they are designed to work with some pretty big cassettes. If the o.p. is going through the trouble of redoing the drivetrain, I can't see it costing anymore money to get an RD that can work with the 11-42 cassette rather than getting a (11 - 36?) cassette that the present RD can handle. That would be a major step backwards in total gear range. Any number of things could be causing the poor shifting and I would not automatically assume it is any of the causes recent posts have suspected.
Well, I thought the Deore XT would handle a 42T rear cog, but I ran out of B-screw adjustment, so I added a roadlink. We just got back from a week long tour of Southern Utah (complete with horrible rear shifting), so I haven't had time to check derailleur specs, but will get to it this weekend.

We need the 42T cog (at least until I complete my weight loss program (85# down 25# to go) in the next few months). I may convert to friction shifting, although that trigger shifter is awfully nice when it works.

Last edited by PromptCritical; 05-28-24 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-28-24, 11:48 AM

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Have you carefully checked the derailleur hanger alignment with the roadlink as the reference point?
Old 05-28-24, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by reburns
Have you carefully checked the derailleur hanger alignment with the roadlink as the reference point?
Yes. It WAS quite a ways out, but I fixed it a few weeks ago.