Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are there any chain tensioners for old road frames with vertical dropouts?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Are there any chain tensioners for old road frames with vertical dropouts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all the answers. I've decided to use single chaintug on driveside, and the one I'm using was made for track dropouts but I've managed to modify it a bit, to the point where it's easy to operate and is strong enough to hold the wheel. Just doesn't look pretty:

https://i.postimg.cc/xTkhrCcV/20230629-213438.jpg

(link https://i.postimg.cc/xTkhrCcV/20230629-213438.jpg)

But there is one new issue here, my frame is made out of steel and I have managed to get steel QR skewers with steel caps. I've read that steel nuts should clamp better to steel frame but if I would be using tensioners(chaintugs), would that affect clamping force negatively? Assuming that I would lower chaintug pressure after mounting wheel, those chaintugs would probably act only as spacers between frame and QR skewer. By the way, I also think that they are made out of steel, as they are magnetic(if that's proper indicator).

Last edited by cuyd; 06-29-23 at 06:18 PM.
Likes For cuyd: