Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Show me your fenders!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Show me your fenders!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 06:53 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
I have only worked on a few thousand bicycles and ridden a few hundred thousand km so I am just a beginner compared to some.

My observation would be that high mileage bicycles that have been equipped with fenders tend to be in better overall condition than those high mileage bicycles that do not have fenders... most notable would be the lack of abrasive wear to the down tube and bottom bracket because of the lack of deposited crud, and the reduced amount of crud that has been tossed into the drivetrain.

Headsets also survive much longer when there is a fender to prevent water from being shot up into the headtube and in some cases a rear fender will prevent water from being shot up under the saddle which will then run down the seat tube and cause corrosion. Bicycles with front fenders or plugs in the steerer can enjoy nearly indefinite headset life if they are serviced with regularity.

My own experience in riding with and without fenders is that when you are commuting and touring, fenders serve to keep the grit out of the drive train and keeps things running smoothly and that not every puddle you ride through is full of crystal clear water... in the city is usually a cocktail of petrochemicals residue that can often come with a splash of urine and fecal material. Mmmmmmm !!!

I also ride a lot without fenders... if my travels take me on trails where there is a lot of debris fenders add a fair amount of risk and this is why newer fenders have breakaway designs to prevent things from lodging between the wheel and fender and causing damage.

Good quality fenders with proper installs do not need to be fiddled with.
Old 10-09-13, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I ride the C&O Canal towpath frequently, and wouldn't do it without fenders. When wet, mud and all sorts of other debris will cover you head to toe. I rode it a couple years ago during a hurricane, and caught up to four guys without fenders. I was clean and comfortable, while they were a muddy mess, and had to hose themselves off. When dry, the grit and dust is mostly contained, and I don't inhale fine particles that are kicked up at face level by the front wheel (best seen at night). I can actually ride much faster than someone without fenders in muddy, wet conditions, because they have to slow way down frequently. And another important reason is the bike components last longer and require less cleaning with fenders. I've broken fenders, and realize there is some risk of an endo if a stick jams in the front fender, but they are a permanent fixture on my bike.

Old 10-09-13, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
I live in west central NH and wouldn't ride without fenders on the bike. Sure their homemade but the difference they make during the winter months is priceless. I come home nice and dry and clean as well. Before makeshifting fenders for my bike last year I would come home from a winter ride caked with salt and sand...not anymore. I have to do a lot less cleaning during the winter months which results in more time doing what I love...riding the bike. As for the summer months I can see riding without them most of the time but I keep them on as I still end up getting crap thrown up at me when I don't have them on. I was out riding a couple of days ago in the light rain and I got home and my shoes were nice and dry. That wouldn't have happened if I didn't have the fenders on.

I will agree, since I stealth camp every night and don't want to have to hassle with hosing the bike down after a rainstorm...I keep the fenders on and don't have to worry about being someplace where I can get ahold of hose to wash the bike off. I'm never around a place where I can wash the bike off. I stealth camp.
Old 10-09-13, 03:19 PM
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
You might look at SKS Velo 55 or 65 fenders. They come in 4 sizes and don't require stays on the front forks or the chainstays. They may work well. I put some on my Hunq and they provide both great clearance and good coverage.

I like that end section on the rear fender in the picture. I have old SKS and Esge fenders (which didn't have that section), and have added extra mud flaps, both front and rear (which I have found to be worth having).

Did that end section come with the fender? Is it enough to keep the water and mud (that flings up from the back of the rear tire) from getting on anything on the bike? (assuming there isn't a good tail wind that could blow it forward)

Last edited by Niles H.; 10-09-13 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-09-13, 05:44 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Niles H.
I like that end section on the rear fender in the picture. I have old SKS and Esge fenders (which didn't have that section), and have added extra mud flaps, both front and rear (which I have found to be worth having).

Did that end section come with the fender? Is it enough to keep the water and mud (that flings up from the back of the rear tire) from getting on anything on the bike? (assuming there isn't a good tail wind that could blow it forward)
Yes the fender is molded that way. I added a Rivendell mudflap to the front and it provides great coverage for the BB and drivetrain. I am really happy with them, especially since the stays are optional. They work quite well without them.

Marc
Old 10-11-13, 10:07 PM

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Just recently got my fenders on and am very happy with them.
Gilles Berthoud 60mm stainless steel on my Surly Ogre.
Still some tidying of the spacing to be completed and yet to do the final cut of the stays but you get
the idea:

I found it best to order from the manufacturer direct for speedy service, dispatch and delivery.
Old 10-11-13, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 442 Posts
My leg on the left with no fenders. My wife's leg on the right with fenders. Her leg sure looks a lot drier and cleaner to me! However, it must just be an illusion

“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.”
― John Wooden

Last edited by Doug64; 10-12-13 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-11-13, 11:10 PM

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
My leg on the left with no fenders. My wife's leg on the right with fenders. Her leg sure looks a lot drier an cleaner to me! However, it must just be an illusion

“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.”
― John Wooden
Hey man, you tour how you tour and I'll tour how I tour. Both of you look muddy enough to have to wash the pants and shoes, so I don't really see a difference.

I NEVER said you don't get dirty or wet without fenders. I said it didn't matter if you get dirty or wet, because it's going to happen anyways. Your wife's pants look plenty dirty to me, so I guess fenders aren't that great

And oh, look! Your chain in the background looks pretty clean!

Last edited by mdilthey; 10-11-13 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 06:37 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 805 Posts
Doug, Im sure Im not alone with this, but when I first glanced at the photo, I immediately thought, "how the heck did he manage to put his shoes on the wrong feet like that?". Weird photo, I like it, and yes it does show your legs got more stuff on them than your wifes.

mdilth, we get it, you have your strong opinion and attitude. Ride your bike as you wish, but you are pretty strident about this topic. The bike I like riding the most of my two bikes is right in the middle of this topic, I put the rear fender on, but not the front. Yes the rear fender keeps gritty gunk off my fd and the cables, but because I dont ride in the rain that much the lack of front isnt too bad, plus I really like to be able to remove the front wheel and toss the bike into the rear seat of my car, a front fender would make it harder to fit in. If I rode more in rain I would definitely put the front one on, especially on dirt roads thats for sure.

I have also had a touring bike with front and rear fenders on it for all its life, and never had to "fiddle" with them, they never broke and just worked from day one.

It really seems you are arguing just for the sake of arguing.
Old 10-14-13, 08:40 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 2100, Trek 7000 (1995 or so) Trek 7000

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fenders define me.
Old 10-14-13, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
Hey man, you tour how you tour and I'll tour how I tour. Both of you look muddy enough to have to wash the pants and shoes, so I don't really see a difference.

I NEVER said you don't get dirty or wet without fenders. I said it didn't matter if you get dirty or wet, because it's going to happen anyways. Your wife's pants look plenty dirty to me, so I guess fenders aren't that great

And oh, look! Your chain in the background looks pretty clean!
dude, if you don't like fenders get the hell out of the thread.
Old 12-01-13, 06:10 PM

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,347 Times in 629 Posts
I know this thread has collected a little dust but having just got this put together today I figured I'd post it. Planet Bike fenders.... the instructions said they won't work with suspension forks. ********** They work with mine just fine. I do have mud flaps I haven't put on yet.

I put fenders on it to keep road tar off my bike in hot weather as much as anything. Around here most of the secondary roads are chip and oil and in hot weather your tires will kick up little blobs of tar that stick to everything. I've been riding these same roads and streets for 52 years, with and without fenders, when it gets hot the fenderless bikes stay home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010004.jpg (99.2 KB, 421 views)
Old 12-01-13, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf
Just recently got my fenders on and am very happy with them.
Gilles Berthoud 60mm stainless steel on my Surly Ogre.
Still some tidying of the spacing to be completed and yet to do the final cut of the stays but you get
the idea:

Rifraf, what kind of cages are those that hold the nalgene silos? Did you have to bend them out?

The stainless fenders are pretty, too. I'll have to look into that manufacturer, haven't heard of those.
Old 12-01-13, 07:52 PM

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by LaetaPuella
Rifraf, what kind of cages are those that hold the nalgene silos? Did you have to bend them out?

The stainless fenders are pretty, too. I'll have to look into that manufacturer, haven't heard of those.
Hi LaetaPuella,
Glad you like the fenders.
The Nalgenes are held in place via BBB XL Fueltank's.
I had to remove the top clip from the Fueltanks to fit the 1.5 liter Nalgenes but had I left them, the cages fit pretty well 1.5 liter coke bottles.
I grabbed the Nalgenes for their ability to be used as hot water bottles when touring in winter.
Heres a link to where I bought them from:
https://www.charliethebikemonger.com/...cage-560-p.asp
Its been a while now, but I think I had to open them up slightly to accommodate the Nalgenes, but only a fraction.
I should really grab a couple of pedal straps to make sure the bottles dont fall out off road, but they've not fallen out yet so I dont really think its an issue.
Old 12-01-13, 08:12 PM

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Fenders are for people who are afraid of getting dirty.
Or who don't feel like getting soaked when they don't need to. Here in Florida it rains a lot, but often before you get to an area. The trail or road can be very wet and without fenders you will also be.
Old 12-02-13, 08:12 AM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
My own experience in riding with and without fenders is that when you are commuting and touring, fenders serve to keep the grit out of the drive train and keeps things running smoothly and that not every puddle you ride through is full of crystal clear water... in the city is usually a cocktail of petrochemicals residue that can often come with a splash of urine and fecal material. Mmmmmmm !!!
Yep.
The fender equipped rider cycles dry through last night's rainstorm soaked streets while the un-equipped get a wet strip of toxic soup being spun up from wet roads. What comes down from the sky is just rain, what comes up from the road is not. 2 sets of Planet Bike for me.

-Bandera
Attached Images
Soma_2.jpg (64.2 KB, 193 views)
Old 04-26-17, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Soma Double Cross: The all-rounder

I live in Green Mountain Falls, not far from Colorado Springs. I take my bike on dry roads, wet roads, gravel, wet gravel, mud, some singletrack, snow, ice, it doesn't really matter to me. My planetbike cascadia ALX (aluminum) fenders are a must, especially when there is standing water on the surface I am riding on, and I happen to be on a ride far away from home. A couple of extra anecdotes: 700x38 Schwalbe marathon greenguards are amazing all terrain, all weather tires. Deflating them is key on snow, loose/ rocky terrain. Unfortunately, I cannot post any pictures.
Old 04-27-17, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
They're just better for you. Just because you like them doesn't make them the rule. There's a good reason there's no fenders on your road bike; nothing slows a bike down more than wind resistance with the exception of maybe tires. On a downhill stretch, your fenders are likely costing you several miles per hour in cruising speed. I would hazard an educated guess and say that I've likely gotten 300 extra "free" miles out of my tours just from decreased resistance alone. Couple that with a decrease in weight, a decrease in time spent fiddling... It's worth it.
Bicycle Quarterly tested a bike mounted with fenders in a wind tunnel. While the front fender does catch some wind, the rear makes the bike more aerodynamic. It evens out.

I prefer the look of a bike without fenders, and I do agree they can be a pain sometimes, but man are they worth it. While they don't prevent me from getting wet from above, they keep me from getting wet from below, where all the muck is. This is most apparent after the storm has passed but the roads are still wet. I can shed my rain gear and not worry about soaking my shoes and socks or growing a rooster tail.
Old 04-27-17, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
I modified my mountain bike too for my cross country ride this summer.
Here are all the modifications I've made...Good Luck!!
Attached Images
bike1.jpg (36.9 KB, 145 views)
Old 04-27-17, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I have ridden with SKS and Planet bike plastic fenders and they both do a decent job of keeping water and grime off both you and bike. Recently, I put Velo Orange stainless steel on my Soma touring bike. They are much sturdier and do a better job but are slightly heavier and more expensive. I use fenders not because I am afraid of getting dirty, I just don't want to. When on a long tour, clean is a relative thing. If fenders keep me a little cleaner without a skunk strip up my back, I am all for them.
Old 04-27-17, 07:12 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Zombie thread, but since it is alive and well again:

Rode the first couple days of my first tour without fenders, until the better half told me that she was tired of getting sprayed in the face and she wasn't going any further until we stopped and got fenders. So, being the smart dude I am, we stopped and got fenders.

I'm hooked. The occasional fiddling is a small price to pay to keep most of that crap off me, my fiancee, my bags, and the bike. Will you stay absolutely dry? No. I stay far drier and cleaner than without, though.

Outside the shop we stopped at to install:
Old 04-27-17, 07:40 AM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by niknak
Bicycle Quarterly tested a bike mounted with fenders in a wind tunnel. While the front fender does catch some wind, the rear makes the bike more aerodynamic. It evens out.

I prefer the look of a bike without fenders, and I do agree they can be a pain sometimes, but man are they worth it. While they don't prevent me from getting wet from above, they keep me from getting wet from below, where all the muck is. This is most apparent after the storm has passed but the roads are still wet. I can shed my rain gear and not worry about soaking my shoes and socks or growing a rooster tail.
I just want to say that I wrote that more than four years ago.

-My opinions on fenders have evolved. I don't personally use them but I respect those that do.

-I apologize for being combative (four years ago). I am glad I have also evolved the way I discuss my opinions.

The trouble with zombie threads....
Old 04-27-17, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I just want to say that I wrote that more than four years ago.

-My opinions on fenders have evolved. I don't personally use them but I respect those that do.

-I apologize for being combative (four years ago). I am glad I have also evolved the way I discuss my opinions.

The trouble with zombie threads....
You didn't respect people who use fenders four years ago, but now you do? What happened?
Old 04-27-17, 08:48 AM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
You didn't respect people who use fenders four years ago, but now you do? What happened?
Hah, misquote! I always respect other people. I didn't think fenders were a good idea. I now think that everyone should ride however they want to, and I try not to waste time judging the choices of other people as "good" or "bad."
Old 04-27-17, 09:39 AM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Yes I am aware that this thread is mostly over three years old.

First photo shows what happened when I could not easily fit fenders into my S&S case with my bike. I went without. And this was the only trip I have ever done without fenders. Photo taken last summer.

Second photo is the bike I have done most of my touring with. Photo taken two months ago.

Third photo is the bike I finished building up about a week ago.
Attached Images
20IMGP3084.jpg (95.1 KB, 132 views)
20IMGP0121.jpg (99.3 KB, 131 views)
20IMGP3673.jpg (98.3 KB, 132 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.