Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How do YOU fit an inner tube and tire?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How do YOU fit an inner tube and tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 04:45 PM

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
I used to seat the tire at the valve last (for 25+ years) until I couldn't on a new rim/tire combo, googled it, and saw that seating it first would give me a little more slack. So now it's always seat at the valve first.
The rationale for starting 180 degrees from the valve is that at that location the tire's bead can drop into the deepest part of the rim, providing more slack when finishing at the valve. Starting at the valve gives less slack because of interference by the valve stem. This may vary depending on the profile of the rim, so is probably not a game-changer.
Old 01-23-22, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
I like to align the valve with the treadwear indicator that Continental tires have. Makes it much easier to find when it's worn down to almost nothing. There's a TWI mark next to it on the sidewall but it's mixed in with a lot of other stuff, and I usually end up spinning the tire around four or five times before I can find it.
Old 01-25-22, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
reading all these post made me realize how bad i was fitting my tire in the wheel ahahhaha thanks all
Old 01-25-22, 11:48 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I used to line the valve with the label, but have switched to placing the valve next to the tire inflation markings. That way it's easier to find the pressure markings.
I use a white china marker to rub the raised/embossed printing. actually, now I often just write the PSI w/ the china marker. I also write the tire width, cuz I often forget for conversations. also write arrows showing rotation direction. so dumb when I mount tires backwards ...

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-25-22, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Sometimes stubborn tires, usually MTB tires, will go on ok but won't seat completely, so it doesn't spin true. In our shop it was a joke that I when I was new, guys would be overfilling the tires to get them to "pop" into place, occasionally making a really loud pop and they thought it was funny to see me flinch at the sound. A few months later and I'm used to it.
To both help get a stubborn tire on those last couple of inches, or to seat a stubborn MTB tire I will sometimes spray bike wash all the way around the bead on both sides before inflating the tire, working it into the the inside of the rim as well. Dries quickly and can really help on tough combinations.
Old 01-27-22, 04:29 PM
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I put the tube in the tire, inflate it, put the valve in the rim, and bang it all on the wheel with a hammer. I thought that's how everybody did it?