Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Richard Branson crashes his bike: 'Helmet saved my life'

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Richard Branson crashes his bike: 'Helmet saved my life'

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-16, 08:40 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
The silly Ozzie that called himself the "Crocodile Hunter" thought so too....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_injury

"Fatal stings are very rare, but can happen"
Old 08-27-16, 03:24 PM
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The "sting" venom- didn't kill him
it was the spear through the chest-big blood vessels-massive trauma-
The below is a cut saying just that- about the poor aussie
Fatal stings are very rare, but can happen,[3] infamously including Steve Irwin. In this case, the stinger penetrated the thoracic wall, causing massive trauma.[10]

PS I'm more sympathetically disposed toward the Aussie than the whiny drama queen Brit with the minor scrape-
He immediately called in the cameras to show how macho he was.
man up-get a light -and slow down at night
Can't believe he actually said he "saw his life flash before his eyes" or something like that.
Minor spill-no cars involved-bumped off his bike and he thinks he is going to die??
What a freakin wimp!

Last edited by phoebeisis; 08-27-16 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 04:16 PM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 493 Posts
I hope that un-announced speed bumps on descents do not become something that is used in the U.S. I had not heard of them being used in this manner. Had anyone else?

Old 08-27-16, 05:39 PM

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I hope that un-announced speed bumps on descents do not become something that is used in the U.S. I had not heard of them being used in this manner. Had anyone else?
When I lived in Toronto, Cqanada and worked in Scarborough, (next to toronto proper) I used to commute home via a series of trails in the parks system. One evening a dusk I'm flying along at my 30+ kph speed when I noticed a brand new unpainted speed bump just ahead of me. It was to late to brake for it so I bunny hopped over it. Turns out that during the day the parks department had put in speed bumps all along all those paths. Someone riding without good lights at night could very easily hit one of those bumps and crash.

Cheers
Old 08-28-16, 06:49 AM
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are were the paths in Toronto multi use-meaning pedestrians?

If you just get off the seat -light grip on bars-no reason you can't retain control over a speed bump hit straight on

In any case the "life before his eyes thinking he was going to die" a bit over the top-slow down get a light

Last edited by phoebeisis; 08-28-16 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-28-16, 07:15 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Yep. I took a random side street to a neighborhood I wasn't familiar with, at the bottom of a rather large hill there was a huge speed bump. No warning whatsoever, the only hint I might have had was the country club golf course beside the road.

There were no bunny-hopping heroics or other drama on my part btw, because I'm too chicken to bomb down a hill I don't know in a residential area.
Old 08-28-16, 08:00 AM
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Speed bump signs aren't usually very visible-just one more sign everyone ignores
They are SUPPOSED to be engineered to annoy a speeding driver(rough ride)-not cause him to lose control
Old 08-28-16, 10:12 AM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 409 Posts
I had a similar crash some years ago. Was going about 30kph on a slight downhill at night, reached for my water bottle, hit an unmarked speed bump, handlebar turned, bam! Consequences were a lot of road rash and a sore arm for a week. I didn't thought I was going to die though, or see my life flash before my eyes.
Old 08-28-16, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
it appears to me to be a case of

overriding ones abilities and experience. Most experienced riders know how to unweight over a speed bump and let your legs be suspension. I imagine he was sitting hard on the saddle when he hit that bump and it launched him. He probably learned something though. They call that "negative reinforcement". Thankfully he will be ok. It could have been a lot worse.
Old 08-28-16, 11:16 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,358 Times in 864 Posts
Michael Schumacher, Also quite wealthy, was wearing a Helmet, Too, when he had a Skiing accident.
Old 08-28-16, 12:45 PM
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah he hit a rock I think
skiing at maybe 50-60 mph
He is "still alive" I think but severely brain damaged-horrible-healthy young well insured so he will remain "alive" for a long time

Sonny Bono- one of the "bad Kennedy males "-and that famous actress also were killed in skiing accident
Old 08-28-16, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Michael Schumacher, Also quite wealthy, was wearing a Helmet, Too, when he had a Skiing accident.

perfect example of how the helmet saved his life but couldn't save his lifestyle. that's the problem many times. people don't understand that living after a serious head injury sometimes isn't what you want.
Old 08-29-16, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Branson must hold the record for highly publicized near-death experiences.

What, no picture of the smashed or at least bruised helmet? I don’t quite understand how a helmet saved his life. He hit his cheekbone.

Anyway, I guess he took that lecture from the cop in Australia to heart.
Old 08-29-16, 09:28 AM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Waiting for the inevitable comments on how helmets don't make you safer and cause accidents by giving you a false sense of security.
Old 08-29-16, 10:26 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 905
Branson must hold the record for highly publicized near-death experiences.
Meh. Only reason I don't have a few dangerous hobbies is lack of funds. Give me a tenth of his money and I'll have at least one experimental aircraft, a wingsuit, sailboat, etc. and likely get myself into some trouble with them from time to time.
Old 08-29-16, 12:25 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by KingCat
If his crash would have been fatal had he not being wearing a helmet he would have been more injured than this. A fatal head injury that was prevented from being fatal by a helmet would still cause significant cerebral injuries which he doesn't appear to have suffered.
Not necessarily. There was a kid that got punched in the head outside a bar I frequented a few years back. He went home, was fine and talking with people, went to bed and they found him dead the next morning, autopsy showed unnoticed internal bleeding caused it.

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
He is "still alive" I think but severely brain damaged-horrible-healthy young well insured so he will remain "alive" for a long time
So many conflicting stories right now, I doubt anyone truly knows his condition other than close family. I've heard everything from near death to walking over the past few months, there is nothing official. But yeah, your point that sometimes surviving it is worse is well taken, the point doesn't much sway me that it is a bigger risk than a minor spill remaining nothing more than an embarassment.