Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Scenic roads near the Camino de Santiago

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Scenic roads near the Camino de Santiago

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-21, 07:46 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by John N
I could see her getting into a little group. Sort of hope she does so she has company. If she does, great, if not, that is fine too. I will survive touring alone in Spain. Don't have pity on me!

What is weird is that everyone says it gets so hot. Yet, I look at the weather data from WeatherSpark.com, in most places the average high is only 80* at the peak in August. A few places get warmer to mid-80s but not too many. Sure it can be hotter (or cooler) by 10* but being from Oklahoma, we think but 80 is wonderful. Anyway, we are going in mid-May through June (then a couple of weeks seeing France) so we should only get low to mid-70s for the highs. I am actually more worried about the cool mornings. Then, after we get adjusted to the "coolness" of Europe, we head back to Tulsa in mid-July for its mid-90s. That will be a shock to the system.
my wife was there mid June to mid July, and it was up there in the high 30's centigrade, so heatwave stuff close to 100f. I've biked in France in June a few timesand yes the mornings could be cool and moderate temps, but I've biked in 35c stuff also.
Plan for the worst and hope for the best, so good sun protection, brim hat, maybe loose long sleeve light shirt, hydrate well, early starts, etc

and no I do not have pity for you.

not to be a downer, but I'd make sure about flight cancellation details slash insurance, and being American, specifically your specific health insurance coverage vis a vis covid and stuff.
Old 12-25-21, 11:13 PM

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
In researching something else I came across thishttps://www.lospueblosmasbonitosdeespana.org/pueblos-con-encanto.html

The prettiest towns of Spain, organised by province. Some towns would be close to the Camino route and may be of interest.
Old 12-26-21, 02:12 AM

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour
In researching something else I came across thishttps://www.lospueblosmasbonitosdeespana.org/pueblos-con-encanto.html

The prettiest towns of Spain, organised by province. Some towns would be close to the Camino route and may be of interest.
Thanks! I will check this out.