Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling addiction?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling addiction?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-05, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
I am speaking from experience, but alas, it had no affect on my addiction. After I went down hard on the road, my very first thought was,"Oh no, my bike!" After I got out of the hospital, I rode my bike with scabs up my entire right thigh and hip and a wrist cast. There are only two types of cyclists, those who have fallen and those who will.

So .. if a person crashed four times the first day out, (hypothetical of course) is that person then ahead of the game?
Old 05-27-05, 07:29 PM

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2004Trek 2100,1985 Nishike Prestige

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think newbies in any sport get the spending disease.. New bikes, skis, drivers, irons, putters,flyrods reels, tennis racquets, etc, etc..Maybe its in hope of magical performance to be found in the new equipment or the romance of using the same bike golf club skis etc as the stars use..My first roadbike was an 85 Nishike Prestige, at the time an entry level bike that cost $395 or so.. It was a better bike than I was newbie rider. I wont go into the long and roundabout story that nearly put me into bankruptcy because within 90 days I wanted a new Colagno and a new sports car.They were not something that I could afford on my salary so I started flipping real estate deals figuring when I had a spare 35k or so Id get both.Well I never got the Colagno and the urge to get the top of the line bike[and sports car] passed .By the late 90s I was only cycling a dozen times a year... A couple of months ago I bought a Trek 2100 and was very happy with it for a month or so.. Then I saw a new Colagno at the LBS.. 5k+, Fell in love with it on the spot .Knew I couldnt afford it with my son in grad school and all.. Hmm I thought maybe if I flip a couple of real estate deals I could get the bike and that sports car Ive been wanting all these years... Cripes what is wrong with me.. The 2100 is a hell of alot more bike than I am cyclist. I dont need a sports car.. But I found a local lot I can subdivide and make some extra $$ on.. On no this is happening again!!

Last edited by Barese Rider; 05-27-05 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-27-05, 07:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't spend money if you are riding. So, if you ride enough you will wear out your current bike (or at least something on it). THEN you can justify the new bike.
Old 05-27-05, 08:53 PM
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
This is your brain:

This is your brain cycling:

Welcome to the club.
That's one of the best posts I've ever read. It's a T-shirt waiting to happen.
Old 05-28-05, 09:43 AM
Lanterne Rouge

Bikes: Time VX Edge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flynn
6'3" - 180lbs......probably do not need to shave any weight off my frame.
You are... [6 X 12] + 3 = 75 inches?
An ideal weight for a ride is ~2 lbs per inch... which would mean you can still shave/CUT 30lbs off your body... you've got a long way to go... lol
Old 05-28-05, 09:48 AM
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simplyred
You are... [6 X 12] + 3 = 75 inches?
An ideal weight for a ride is ~2 lbs per inch... which would mean you can still shave/CUT 30lbs off your body... you've got a long way to go... lol
Yeah, but you are missing one thing.

That formula is linear. Actual increases increases in height result in expansion in three dimensions.

That's why smaller riders have the advantage in power to weight. https://www.cyclingscience.org/largevssmallriders.htm
Old 05-28-05, 04:29 PM
Lanterne Rouge

Bikes: Time VX Edge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway
Yeah, but you are missing one thing.

That formula is linear. Actual increases increases in height result in expansion in three dimensions.

That's why smaller riders have the advantage in power to weight. https://www.cyclingscience.org/largevssmallriders.htm
Agreed.
Are you saying that a 6' 3, 180 lbs rider can't lose any more weight?
Are you saying that a 6' 3, 180 lbs rider can't go down to 150 lbs?
I put the ~ as an approximation... heehee... because I knew someone would say something...
My previous reply was more of an implication that Flynn still COULD lose more weight..