Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Test rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Test rides

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The last 3 bikes I purchased, I special ordered and never did a test ride.

I know my size and I know how to ride a bike. I know how different groupsets shift and brake.

It's a bike, no need to overcomplicate things. Now if you've never purchased a bike before, riding the one that you're interested in buying, or something similar would be advantageous so you learn your fit and the difference in shifting between the different brands, electronic, and whatnot.

Old 09-15-16, 06:07 AM

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by inspclouseau
I am in the the Orlando area also. What if you don't want a trek nor specialized? I find it impossible to test ride first. And I may be wrong, but it sounds like quite the hassle for a shop to stock enough variety to test ride different frames and sizes or to order in a frame and exchange until you find the right one.

I am 45 min from downtown Orlando, there's no shortage of shops in a 90 minute radius, in a very highly populated area, but unless you want a Trek or Specialized, sorry, test riding what you lust over is just not an option.

And FWIW, I am not saying the shop wouldn't stand behind what they sold, in fact they said they would, but what a misery of inconvenience for all.
We do have several shops around here like Winter Garden Wheel Works, Winter Park Cycles, Evolve Cycles, The Cycling Hub, Clermont Cycles, Orange Cycle, Performance Bike, Kyle's Bike shop, Full Circle, Davids World Cycle, Rajin Cajun, Retro City Cycles, Advanced Cycles, Cycle Spectrum, and I know there's more. Besides Trek or Specialized, there's Cannondale, Giant, Bianchi, Scott, Felt, Quintana Roo, BMC, Cervelo, Colnogo, De Rosa, GT, Fuji, Pinarello, Raliegh, Moots, Foundry, Jamis, Niner, Salsa, etc...

I'm pretty confident I can find something I would want to ride nearby. If not I'd travel out to Daytona, Tampa, or even Gainseville to check something out.
Old 09-15-16, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
We do have several shops around here like Winter Garden Wheel Works, Winter Park Cycles, Evolve Cycles, The Cycling Hub, Clermont Cycles, Orange Cycle, Performance Bike, Kyle's Bike shop, Full Circle, Davids World Cycle, Rajin Cajun, Retro City Cycles, Advanced Cycles, Cycle Spectrum, and I know there's more. Besides Trek or Specialized, there's Cannondale, Giant, Bianchi, Scott, Felt, Quintana Roo, BMC, Cervelo, Colnogo, De Rosa, GT, Fuji, Pinarello, Raliegh, Moots, Foundry, Jamis, Niner, Salsa, etc...

I'm pretty confident I can find something I would want to ride nearby. If not I'd travel out to Daytona, Tampa, or even Gainseville to check something out.
I never said there was a lack of shops, nor brand choice. But there's certainly a lack of stock outside the big manufacturers.

I think the above post is spot on. Know your size, it's a bike, don't overcomplicate it.

BTW, Daytona does not have a single shop. Bewilders me.

Ormond and Port Orange have a couple of great ones though. :-)
Old 09-15-16, 06:26 AM

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by inspclouseau
I never said there was a lack of shops, nor brand choice. But there's certainly a lack of stock outside the big manufacturers.

I think the above post is spot on. Know your size, it's a bike, don't overcomplicate it.

BTW, Daytona does not have a single shop. Bewilders me.

Ormond and Port Orange have a couple of great ones though. :-)

I consider Ormond, Holly Hill, and Port Orange to be the Daytona "Area". I guess it depends on what you're looking for, I've found most of our local shops very accommodating when it comes to getting a bike ordered in and/or assembling one from stock to test ride, no obligation.
Old 09-15-16, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 2,242 Times in 1,505 Posts
Knowing your size is good and certainly helps. But often people are looking for different types of bikes - aero, endurance, different materials, and so on and there's no way of knowing how it feels except for test rides. I've ridden different bikes and was surprised on how stiff one was or how much flex was in another.
Old 09-15-16, 08:08 AM

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think those people with large or small sizes have it much more difficult. I ride a size 54, so I can pretty much go into any shop and find a bunch of bikes in my size. I can ride a 56 frame easily two, which is also common.

When I was shopping, it was like, "Oh, we only have one of those in stock, but it's a 54, so you're in luck!"

All that said, I suspect the more experienced a cyclist is, the less he needs a test ride to tell him too much about a bike.
Old 09-15-16, 01:38 PM

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
BF types going into an LBS to buy a bike likely knows exactly what bike he wants and what size and what price he's willing to pay for it. If the LBS doesn't have what he's looking for he'll go to another one that does.
Or we build up our own...
Old 09-15-16, 02:30 PM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Or we build up our own...
Tru dat.
Old 09-15-16, 03:42 PM

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Out of the dozen bikes I've owned in my adult life, I haven't test rode a single one. No ragrets.
Old 09-15-16, 03:43 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 629 Posts
Tested my first two road bikes.

Once I learned my size and fit dimensions I had no problems buying On-Line or from Craigslist.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 09-15-16 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 04:10 PM

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a novice, having just gotten back into riding a couple of years ago. And my LBS never had the exact bike I ended up buying. But they were willing to let me try various bikes to figure out the correct size, and I also rode several different models of bikes to get a feel for different groupsets, disc vs rim brakes, etc so I could get a better understanding of different ride/handling characteristics as well as the feel of various component parts. I walked in with preconceived notions of what I thought I wanted and through that process discovered I wanted to order something completely different. I had fun too.
Old 09-16-16, 08:35 PM

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Cannondale Super X, Dedaciai Nuerissimo.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty sure if you're buying a $5k Madone, they could find a way to get one for you to ride.
Old 09-17-16, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by nivekdodge
Pretty sure if you're buying a $5k Madone, they could find a way to get one for you to ride.

Your logic is 100% backwards. The more expensive the bike the harder for a dealer to have one available for a test ride.

Again, I think the whole "you MUST take a test ride" thing is impractical for the LBS and not necessary for most riders.
Old 09-19-16, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by RShantz
Your logic is 100% backwards. The more expensive the bike the harder for a dealer to have one available for a test ride.

Again, I think the whole "you MUST take a test ride" thing is impractical for the LBS and not necessary for most riders.
yup, you test ride the Hyundai or toyota to see if it has enough hump for merging and the cup holders are conveniently located. You buy the Ferrari when you can afford it.
Old 09-20-16, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nivekdodge
Originally Posted by RShantz

I'm pretty sure people dropping that much money on a bike aren't new to riding bikes and probably know exactly what they're getting.

Personally, I don't know many people that insist on a test ride unless they're new or trying out new groupset or type of bike.

Old 09-20-16, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiconazoid
I understand exactly what you mean. I work a part-time job selling archery equipment here in NC. There are a lot of similarities between bows and bikes. We could not afford to carry a representative model of every single bow we could sell, but we can come very close in setting up a bow for a customer in terms of sizing, draw length, draw weight, and some other variables which would let them come very close to the one that they are interested in ordering. Just explaining the slight differences in the ones we carry and the ones they want are usually satisfactory to most folks.
Are you with Big Rock?

Also, OP, you're going to be hard pressed to find any place that stocks F8s. They are sold as framesets, and few shops want to build one up for test rides as the part spec may not be what you want.