Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are There Any Store Brand Bikes in Canada or US With Rohloff Speedhub IGH?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are There Any Store Brand Bikes in Canada or US With Rohloff Speedhub IGH?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-24, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 282 Posts
Duragrouch: That expensive belt will last much longer than a chain and do it through extreme conditions. When I purchased my Pangea Rohloff the shop had a derailleur version of the same model also. They Weighed both and the derailleur model was 17oz lighter. according to Alee at cyclingabout the Rohloff weighs 1/2 kilo more than a comparable derailleur version and the Pinion weighs a Kilo more than the Rohloff.

Last edited by Rick; 04-09-24 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-07-24, 10:13 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
Duragrouch: That expensive belt will last much longer than a chain and do it through extreme conditions. When I purchased my Pangea Rohloff the shop had a derailleur version of the same model also. They Weighed both and the derailleur model was 17oz lighter. according to Alee at cyclingabout the Rohloff weighs 1/2 kilo more than a comparable derailleur jersion and the Pinion weighs a Kilo more than the Rohloff.
Can confirm. The OEM belt on my commuter has outlasted the seals of three Alfine hubs. I reckon it has about 20k miles under its...uh...belt.
Meanwhile, a Sram XX1 12 sp Eagle chain retails @ $92.
Old 04-07-24, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
Duragrouch: That expensive belt will last much longer than a chain and do it through extreme conditions. When I purchased my Pangea Rohloff the shop had a derailleur version of the same model also. They Weighed both and the derailleur model was 17oz lighter. according to Alee at cyclingabout the Rohloff weighs 1/2 kilo more than a comparable derailleur jersion and the Pinion weighs a Kilo more than the Rohloff.
Yeah, that's my grasp too. From what I've read, belts last about 3X that of chains. The belt cost alone was not too bad, considering that, but as someone else mentioned, the price they are charging for cogs is sky high. I wonder if the belt/cogs are compatible teeth with gates, to both get cheaper cogs, and replacement cogs on a tour if damaged?

That's also my take on derailleurs vs IGH; I prefer derailleurs for lighter weight and ability for home maintenance, but a Rohloff appears to be superior to other IGHs, so I wouldn't turn it down if someone gave one to me, most especially if I could run belt drive at reasonable cost. My current bike, 20" folder, has a triangulated rear triangle so would need a joinable belt. The monobeam folder frames like Mu, easily do continuous belts, but I'm not as much a fan of the frame design. I'd prefer a (chrome-moly steel) triangulated frame with removeable dropout for belt change, as well as being able to go to horizontal dropouts for belt drive.