Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mini Mini Mini Pump

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Mini Mini Mini Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-13, 09:04 PM

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I have this one specifically: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Innovations-Ultraflate-Plus-Inflater

Pretty sure I didn't pay that much for mine, though!

M.
Old 11-19-13, 09:05 PM

Bikes: Lola (2012 Schwinn Voyageur 7)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
You could go for CO2 cartridges.

M.
I've got CO2, too.
Old 11-19-13, 09:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Any of the Lezyne pumps-- Road Drive, Pressure Drive, Drive Lite, Tech Drive, etc.-- are 2" shorter in the Medium size and nearly 4" smaller in the Small size.

I have two Medium sized Road Drives in both carbon and aluminum bodies; excellent hand pumps for 700x23 tires. One is equipped with the optional Pen Gauge hose with integrated pressure gauge, which is awesome, because it takes the guesswork out of mini pump inflating.

Of course, not knowing what you don't like about the Spin Doctor makes it impossible to say if a Lezyne will be better suited, but I've got no doubt that the Lezynes are better tools.
Hi Chad,
I'm just not a fan of the size. I'd like something smaller I can fit in a tool roll.
Old 11-19-13, 09:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any of the Lezyne pumps-- Road Drive, Pressure Drive, Drive Lite, Tech Drive, etc.-- are 2" shorter in the Medium size and nearly 4" smaller in the Small size.

I have two Medium sized Road Drives in both carbon and aluminum bodies; excellent hand pumps for 700x23 tires. One is equipped with the optional Pen Gauge hose with integrated pressure gauge, which is awesome, because it takes the guesswork out of mini pump inflating.

Of course, not knowing what you don't like about the Spin Doctor makes it impossible to say if a Lezyne will be better suited, but I've got no doubt that the Lezynes are better tools.
Thanks Chad! Are these all Presta valves? I've got Schrader valve on Lola's 700x38 tires.
Old 11-19-13, 10:06 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3214 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by sci_femme
Y mini pump is a lot of work with dubious results.
Not necessarily. There are several design elements that make some mini pumps much better performing than others. I don't doubt the Road Morph moves a lot of air, but the tradeoff is that it's a big, honking pump. I'd add also quite ugly. The OP asked for small and thin, in fact, smaller and thinner than her Spin Doctor. The poor girl; in 25 posts, she's actually gotten only 3 reccos that directly answer her request!

Anyway, regarding pump efficiency, things like shaft diameter, friction, and rigidity, and material all affect efficiency, but in the end, we really have a decision to make: high volume for quick fills, or high pressure for easier filling at the top end. To illustrate, the Lezyne Pressure Drive will hit higher pressure in 1/2 the strokes it takes the longer Blackburn Airstick (https://www.cyclingactive.com/bikesge...est-mini-pumps).

A clever solution to this quandary is found in the Crank Brothers Sterling mini-pumps, which offer quick switching between high volume and high pressure modes, so the pumping effort stays low throughout the effort while maximizing volume output. The Sterling G, at 7.8", is also shorter than the Spin Doctor, though may not be quite as sleek and slender; I dunno.

Anyway, I think one-- man or woman-- can get very acceptable performance without having to go huge and bulky (which is not to knock the Road Morph's other fine attributes), particularly for only irregular use.
Old 11-19-13, 10:08 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by LiteraryChic
I've got CO2, too.
I carry two CO2 cartridges and no pump. I'm not sure why you would need both.

In all the years I've been riding, I've never used both CO2 cartridges. If I had to use three and only had two, out would come the credit card for a cab ride or a phone call for a pick up.

J.
Old 11-19-13, 10:19 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Hi Chad,
I'm just not a fan of the size. I'd like something smaller I can fit in a tool roll.
I'm not familiar with the dimensions of a 'tool roll,' or really what the limitation might otherwise be; what are we talking about here?

Also, a 700x38 ain't small; is this pump just for decoration, or do you need it to fill a flat in a reasonable amount of time and with a reasonable amount of effort? Are you just needing it to top off periodically, and relying on CO2 on-road?

If you're expecting to fill from flat, you want volume, and may even want to consider abandoning the small size/tool roll prereq in favor of something like the oft mentioned Road Morph.

If you just want quick access to a pump for topping off and will use a floor pump or CO2 for flat filling, then a you want a high pressure pump.
Old 11-19-13, 10:28 PM
Thread Killer

Thanks Chad! Are these all Presta valves? I've got Schrader valve on Lola's 700x38 tires.
I know all Lezynes have a reversible chuck for schrader, so no problem there; it just unscrews, flips around, and threads back on, so you only switch it once. The Pen Gauge hose has the same.

Crank Bros Sterling is auto selecting for presta/schrader, lever lock. Kenshibiker's suggested the tiny Topeak Micro Rocket CB, which is presta only. The others I don't know.
Old 11-20-13, 09:53 AM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I carry two CO2 cartridges and no pump. I'm not sure why you would need both.

In all the years I've been riding, I've never used both CO2 cartridges. If I had to use three and only had two, out would come the credit card for a cab ride or a phone call for a pick up.

J.
dude, you can make phone calls with your credit card?? j/k j/k heh
Old 11-20-13, 03:28 PM

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i just bought the Crank Brothers Sterling pump

silver one on the bottom right.

dual volume gimmick works great... very (not an ISO standard, i know) small.
Old 11-20-13, 03:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had many hand pumps over the years and the Lezyne is by far my favorite. Love that the hose fits inside of the pump, making it very small and easy. I don't have the hose gauge yet, but think I will probably get one. the one I have is for road bikes, high pressure but less volume. For the larger tires the OP describes more of a mountain bike type might work best - more volume but less pressure.
Old 11-25-13, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Okay, so I currently have the Spin Doctor Rescue HV Mini Pump mounted to Lola, and am not a fan of it, at all! However, I cannot seem to find a mini pump that is any smaller than that. I have my Co2 inflator/cartridges, but got my mini pump upon other posters advice. Now, I am thinking of ditching it altogether in my tool roll (which I have yet to get, let's not go there ... ..., however, I did purchase the PoCampo Logan Trunk Bag ... haven't gotten to ride wth it yet, but it looks promising.) and taking it back or keeping it to use at home. For home, I currently have a Serfas floor pump that I am considering selling as I have never used it.

Anway, any suggestions on a smaller/thinner mini pump?

Thanks!
Look, I personally I always prefer a pump over CO2 -
1. No risk of screwing up threading the cartridge on and losing everything, or getting a bad cartridge.
2. When I had little money, it cost less.
3. No risk of forgetting to replace a spent CO2 cartridge and ending up with nothing when I got a flat.
4. No risk of running out of CO2 cartridges from multiple flats (a lot of times they seem to all come at once)
5. Don't need to use up a cartridge to help someone else
6. Etc etc

All that being said though - an air pump in the size you are talking about is just plain terrible. Seriously they are just awful to use. A pump that small can barely get any air into your tire, and it's a pain in the ass.

I suggest you do one of two things -

1. Use a decent size mini pump, like a Road Morph Mini (that's the mini, not the regular full size version). It's bigger than you're asking for though. But I don't recommend anything smaller than that - anything smaller in a pump is just a pain in the ass to get a tire up to a decent pressure.

2. Use a combination CO2/air pump like this one (this is just a random one I found on amazon) -
https://www.amazon.com/RavX-Master-Mi...words=co2+pump

You'd have the air pump part as backup in case all your CO2 cartridges fail.

The bottom line is that tiny air pumps are a total pain in the ass to use, and why people use CO2. I recommend you either use a decent sized air pump (like the Road Morph Mini), or CO2 with an air pump backup built in.
Old 09-06-16, 12:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dual Head Valve Adaptor mod to my mini pump

sci_femme. I definitely agree that a pump like Topeak Road Morph that has a hose is best. It's really tricky to use those pump that has no clamp lever. Even with the lever, you still have to hold the pump relatively stationary with each pump action, which is pretty hard after, say, 100 strokes.

The one with hose you can pump more freely and cause less wear on the your pump rubber clap. I use an extra
, attach a short hose, a Schrader value stem from discarded inner tube. I carry this on longer trips in my tool kit. It is basically and adapter so I don't have to switch pump head.

Cheers

Last edited by resting; 09-06-16 at 12:30 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-07-16, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I carry Blackburns Airstick 2-Stage as my backup to CO2. Good pump, presta only, VERY small, & has switch for low & high pressure. No hose but if you plant the head in your hand against your inner knee when pumping, it works fine. 60 strokes on low & maybe another 160 on high will get you home. If I'm in a hurry I use CO2 but the pump is always there if needed. Blackburn guarantees products for life and stands behind them. They've replaced a floor pump and light for me in the past - no questions. Use a floor pump at home for weekly top offs.
Old 09-07-16, 11:23 AM

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by xtrajack
I use my floor pump at home, much more frequently than I use my seatpost pump, or any other bike mounted pump that I have had.

As for a pump on the bike itself, I started with one that the Evil Empire sells, I think that it was a Bell. It got replaced with a Topeak Mountain Morph pump. I then decided that I liked the idea of my seatpost also being my pump. Now, I have a Biologic Seatpost pump. I still carry the Mountain Morph pump in one of my front panniers, mostly, to help others.

I roll with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, so I don't actually use a bike mounted pump often.
I've seen the seat pump (not in real life) and was intrigued. How is it to use, how well does it pump? I'm a bit concerned about weight, not while riding, but I have to carry the bike up four flights of stairs.
Old 09-07-16, 12:33 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Topeak Race Rocket. Or the HP or MT variants if more appropriate for your bike. Weighs only 3-4 ounces. I wouldn't want anything smaller or any mini pump that lacked a flexible hose and threaded attachment, rather than those awkward clamp-on attachments and no hose.

It's small and lightweight enough to fit in a pocket without noticing it. It works. While it takes a lot of pumping to get to full pressure it's easy to grip and use. And it's affordable enough that it wouldn't be too painful if it were lost or stolen. I usually take it with me when I can't watch the bike while shopping.