Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

San Diego mayor wants to increase cycling modal share to 18% by 2035

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

San Diego mayor wants to increase cycling modal share to 18% by 2035

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 09:27 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Popeyecahn
As you are well aware this city is a crazy patchwork of routes, so I'll forgo explaining the stupidity with which my wife once took the bus to Fashion valley but suffice it to say it was counter-intuitive and took forever. Also my 'Bus', or rather bike is an express vehicle and can/will go where I want it to without having to wait for it at a stop to pickup a route or transfer etc. Therefore the bike will always be faster for me, except up Texas St...
Admitted, there are situations. For example, coming on the trolley from the South Bay, if I get off at Petco, I can beat the trolley to the Coaster. I am old and fat, and not as fast as some. High density inner cities like down town, where buses stop every short block it makes sense. If I am riding from old town to Kearny Mesa there is no way I will beat that bus up Linda Vista, or catch up to it after I reach the crest.

When I was commuting in Irvine, I would get off the Metrolink, and if I timed it right, pull a Dave Stoller on one of the express shuttle buses up Irvine Center Road (two miles, one light, no stops). Even then they usually drop me when they pass 35.
Old 03-16-15, 12:34 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist Team, Cervelo P3C, Ritchey Breakaway Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
One thing the cities need to do is start forcing the cities to grow taller rather than wider. Perhaps enforce urban growth boundaries, and zoning laws outside of the urban growth boundary. Then add incentives for high-rise apartments.
Unfortunately the NIMBY's in the neighborhoods fight that tooth and nail, and usually succeed. Witness the current flap over the community plan to allow 60 ft tall buildings in the area surrounding the planned trolley stop at Clairemont Dr.
Old 03-17-15, 05:19 PM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
The mayor is a cycling advocate for sure. We've got some mutual friends so I've ridden with him many times.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-17-15, 06:45 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Holy cats, we're in the wrong business.

Anybody else get a sudden urge to incorporate as a pavement contractor?
After your first "certified payroll" when you figure out that the laborer leaning on a shovel costs you 60$-80$ an hour the urge will evaporate.

The laborer never sees but half or less of it. The union gets the rest.

Get rid of Davis Bacon and I'd be all over all kinds of major infrastructure spending.