Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

My dilemma with Tubeless

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

My dilemma with Tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-24, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
To help clear things up.
These are Conti 5000 S TR in 32mm and 30mm. Continental's website states the Max PSI for these sizes is 72 psi on a hooked rim. I weigh about 185 lbs. My objective was to run these around 80-82psi and I was hoping someone here might have had some experience doing what I was hoping to accomplish. I would run these with tubes and hope to raise the "max" psi given on the tire and Conti's website... that's all.
Based on the Silca tire pressure calculator, and assuming at 185 lbs, your all up weight is about 25 lbs higher (you, your bike, water bottles) or 210 lbs., even on new pavement, they recommend 71 PSI rear for the 30 mm. The 32 mm is 64 PSI. This is for running tubes. On the next level of surface, worn pavement, they recommend 68 PSI (30 mm) and 61 PSI (32 mm).

So, your 80+ PSI seems well above the recommended for optimum rolling resistance. Keep in mind the penalty in rolling resistance goes up very much faster exceeding the optimum pressure versus going below. So, you're better off erring on the low side of optimum.

Also, I do not understand what trouble you could have seating a tire with a tube in it. Getting the tire on and off the rim can be a thing, but I've never heard of a tire not being fully seated using a tube. I'm not arguing with your experience, I simply don't understand it or have experience seeing that. But I know there's a lot of variations in rim shapes, so I guess it has something to do with that.

I would also encourage you to at least try tubeless. GP 5000 S TR are wonderful tires to run tubeless. My favorites to use. It's very likely you'll never have to remove a tire on the side of the road again. And maybe sometime you'll have to put a plug in a tire and add a little air. I've done about 20,000+ road miles in the last 4-5 years and never once had to deal with removing a tire on the side of the road. I still carry a spare TPU tube, just in case, but at this point, I could make a good argument to not bother.

FYI I'm 190+ lbs, and run my 28 mm GP 5000 S TR's at 58/61 PSI front/rear. They do measure close to 30 mm installed. Works very well.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 04-09-24, 10:12 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2387 Post(s)
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,599 Posts
To help clear things up.
These are Conti 5000 S TR in 32mm and 30mm. Continental's website states the Max PSI for these sizes is 72 psi on a hooked rim. I weigh about 185 lbs. My objective was to run these around 80-82psi and I was hoping someone here might have had some experience doing what I was hoping to accomplish. I would run these with tubes and hope to raise the "max" psi given on the tire and Conti's website... that's all.
have you tried using a psi calculator? I am 225 for a 32 mm tire my range is something like 82 to 67 psi using 185 + 25 for mike and gear I get a range of 54 to 67 https://www.renehersecycles.com/tire...re-calculator/

Old 04-10-24, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 340 Posts
Since I am not inclined to run tubeless
Why’s that? It’s honestly so much better.

And yeah, they can be tight. Nothing less than Park Tool levers or, better yet, a tyreglider can get them back on in my experience.