Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any info on a Jacques Anquetil French bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Any info on a Jacques Anquetil French bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-23, 03:56 AM
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I have to find my copy, the images I recall were of a Lousian Bobet, his personal bike.
In my 1970 edition they are the Lousian Bobet, e.g. front wheel in storm grate. 3 models are listed in the tables of various qualities.
Old 07-09-23, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

fixed cup metric/"french" thread

turn counterclockwise to remove

adjustable cup & spindle are Campag NR

adjustable cup is BSC thread and is wrong

should have a metric/"french" thread cup

once you get the fixed out a metric set of BB taps should be run through to chase the threads on the adjustable side

metric cups have a pitch diameter of 35.0mm while BSC cups have a pitch diameter of 34.85mm so it is possible to start a BSC cup in a metric shell but threads will begin to bind after two turns or so

chasing them with a tap will clear things up

since you only need to chase rather than cut new threads you can create a homemade chaser with an existing bottom bracket cup by using a grinder to put some cutters into it as described and shown here -

-----
the frame ma already have been worked on. Thread in that adjustable cup and note for any binding.
the Campagnolo spindle is a special one, note the additional info below the 68- line.
actually would have expected a 70- spindle due to the TA fixed cup.​​​​​​.
Old 07-09-23, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by cranky old road
In my 1970 edition they are the Lousian Bobet, e.g. front wheel in storm grate. 3 models are listed in the tables of various qualities.
a Christmas 1970 present that book was, got me going on the road to good bikes. I had bought a sting-ray the year before, so started saving in earnest for a Road bike.
‘tubulars, as much Campagnolo as possible, Nervex pro lugs, Campagnolo ends, 531 throughout, a June of 1972 purchase.

Started racing in1973.

the book had some flaws I would find out later but there really was little to no compiled info back then.
Old 07-09-23, 12:43 PM
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 196 Posts
a Christmas 1970 present that book was, got me going on the road to good bikes. I had bought a sting-ray the year before, so started saving in earnest for a Road bike.
‘tubulars, as much Campagnolo as possible, Nervex pro lugs, Campagnolo ends, 531 throughout, a June of 1972 purchase.

Started racing in1973.

the book had some flaws I would find out later but there really was little to no compiled info back then.
I bought the featured Raleigh Carlton from Stuyvesant Cycle Shop with my Bar Mitzvah money. Wish I'd had the book before, I would have bought the Atala they tried to talk me into but I was familiar with Raleighs back in 1967. My copy is well worn as is the Raleigh Carlton (plain gauge 531 and cottered Williams cranks).
Old 07-09-23, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by cranky old road
I bought the featured Raleigh Carlton from Stuyvesant Cycle Shop with my Bar Mitzvah money. Wish I'd had the book before, I would have bought the Atala they tried to talk me into but I was familiar with Raleighs back in 1967. My copy is well worn as is the Raleigh Carlton (plain gauge 531 and cottered Williams cranks).
my parents had a pair of Carlton Catalinas from 1964. Quite impressive as 24# with steel cranks, rims ( ok, Dunlop lightweight) leather saddles. 32-40 spoke wheels.
father’s had the Capella lugs. Mom’s were decent too with side windows.
Old 07-09-23, 01:06 PM

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 694 Posts
[QUOTE=repechage;22947972]I have to find my copy, the images I recall were of a Lousian Bobet, his personal bike.

/QUOTE]

You’re right, it WAS a Louison Bobet that Sloan pictured in his book! Faulty memory!
Old 07-09-23, 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=rustystrings61;22948292]
I have to find my copy, the images I recall were of a Lousian Bobet, his personal bike.

/QUOTE]

You’re right, it WAS a Louison Bobet that Sloan pictured in his book! Faulty memory!
buying one of those was going to be a mail order event back then. No Southern California dealers. Mail order was risky I thought.
Old 07-09-23, 03:10 PM

Bikes: Trek Emonda, State Fixie, Trek Marlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
-----

fixed cup metric/"french" thread

turn counterclockwise to remove

adjustable cup & spindle are Campag NR

adjustable cup is BSC thread and is wrong

should have a metric/"french" thread cup

once you get the fixed out a metric set of BB taps should be run through to chase the threads on the adjustable side

metric cups have a pitch diameter of 35.0mm while BSC cups have a pitch diameter of 34.85mm so it is possible to start a BSC cup in a metric shell but threads will begin to bind after two turns or so

chasing them with a tap will clear things up

since you only need to chase rather than cut new threads you can create a homemade chaser with an existing bottom bracket cup by using a grinder to put some cutters into it as described and shown here -

-----
Thank you! I was able to remove the fixed cup. Whoever owned this bike prior just forced english fittings. The same with the pedals. I'm going to chase the threads as you mentioned.

The spindle seems to work. Should I replace that as well? Not sure about how those are sized.

Regards,
Gary
Old 07-09-23, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3841 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,213 Posts
-----

Hello again Gary,

good to read information of some use

have never attempted to combine T.A. & Campag bottom bracket fittings in the same assembly so cannot advise on that question

the pedal threads in the crank arms may have been damaged beyond returnability to original

you can run a metric pedal tap through and try mounting a metric thread pedal to see how much thread engagement you get

the metric 14.0mm X 1.25 size is smaller in pitch diameter than the BSC/ISO size of 9/16"

---

suggestion -

the forcing in of incorrectly sized parts is a big warning message to me

as you work through the bicycle take your time and check that everything is as it should be with respect to fit

there may be other crime scenes yet to be discovered...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 07-13-23, 03:05 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
-----

Hello again Gary,

good to read information of some use

have never attempted to combine T.A. & Campag bottom bracket fittings in the same assembly so cannot advise on that question

the pedal threads in the crank arms may have been damaged beyond returnability to original

you can run a metric pedal tap through and try mounting a metric thread pedal to see how much thread engagement you get

the metric 14.0mm X 1.25 size is smaller in pitch diameter than the BSC/ISO size of 9/16"

---

suggestion -

the forcing in of incorrectly sized parts is a big warning message to me

as you work through the bicycle take your time and check that everything is as it should be with respect to fit

there may be other crime scenes yet to be discovered...

-----
Will definitely look out for other crime scenes! thanks

PS. The frame weight is 4.6 lbs and the fork is 1.7. Not sure how that compares to top end steel. Feels light to me!
Old 09-03-23, 11:07 AM

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 163 Posts
MICMO made both Gitane and Geminiani bikes which were identical except badging through 1965 with Jacques riding his last “Gitane” in 1965 as a member of the Ford France-Gitane team (we all should know he rode Bernard Carre-built frames). I’ve seen no evidence that MICMO ever made Anquetil-branded bikes.

In 1966, the Ford France cycling team switched to both “Anquetil” and “Geminiani” branded bikes (who happened to be the team’s star rider and their directeur sportif, respectively). Team riders including Jacques, Lucien Aimar, and Julio Jimenez all appear to have ridden Carres branded as either “Anquetil” (Jacques) or “Geminiani” (Aimar and Jimenez). Team rider Vin Denson was on an “Anquetil” but I can’t confirm who built his frame BUT since he was the domestique who was to give up his bike to Jacques if needed, a Carre seems likely. You can tell what brand each member was riding based on frame color, dark purple-blue for the Anquetils and silvery blue for the Geminianis … you can also read which brand a rider was on if you can see the riders cap as the name is emblazoned on the sides:

Here is a 1966 Cizeron add announcing they were now building Anquetils and Geminiani bikes that also lists the riders assigned to each brand…this is the 1966 Ford France-Hutchinson team that won the 1966 TdF (Aimar) as well as KOM (Jimenez).

I also have a 1966 Ford France - Hutchinson Team photo stating that these are the bikes ridden by team.

Point is, I haven’t found advertisements for Jacques Anquetil-branded bikes prior to 1966 (after that for next several years they are commonly found) so I kind of assume all Jacques Anquetil bikes date to no earlier than 1966…and that initially they were built by Cizeron.

Last edited by Markeologist; 09-04-23 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Typo
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 09-04-23, 08:48 AM

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

…and when Ford France-Hutchinson became BiC in 1967, the team was still mounted on Anquetil and Geminiani-badged bikes. Pretty clear here that Jacques is still on a Carre-built frame, you can even see his initials on the telltale willow leaf seat stay cap….Eddy seems to be thinking “WOW, what a great bike Jacques has!”

The BiC team kept the same color scheme on the bikes for awhile before switching to orange, Aimar and Jimenez and their Geminianis:

Last edited by Markeologist; 09-04-23 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 09-04-23, 01:50 PM

-----

Markeologist -

thank you so much for all of this detailed information

have long been curious regarding the MICMO relation to Helyett

Norris has written that Helyett had two production facilities one of which was acquired by MICMO in '62

presumably Helyett continued to produce in the other facility

when did MICMO acquire the balance of Helyett?

we have had examples of MICMO produced Helyett cycles as late as 1978 here on the forum but do not know how long MICMO kept the name going

for readers, here is a 1963 image of Jacques on a Helyett badged machine -

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 09-04-23, 06:36 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the great information
Old 09-05-23, 03:43 PM

-----

Markeologist -

thank you so much for all of this detailed information

have long been curious regarding the MICMO relation to Helyett

Norris has written that Helyett had two production facilities one of which was acquired by MICMO in '62

presumably Helyett continued to produce in the other facility

when did MICMO acquire the balance of Helyett?

we have had examples of MICMO produced Helyett cycles as late as 1978 here on the forum but do not know how long MICMO kept the name going

for readers, here is a 1963 image of Jacques on a Helyett badged machine -

-----
Sorry @juvela, I haven’t been able to get a better understanding of the MICMO, Helyett, and Gitane relationship. The mid-1960s MICMO, Geminiani and Gitane relationship fell into place for me when I found a Geminiani catalog in France and instantly recognized it from its twin Gitane catalog as found on Gitane USA website…just name changes, all else is identical…and both clearly state MICMO (Gitane is a cover copy printed on 11x17, I’m sure original is same size as my original Geminiani version.

According to Gitane USA, this catalog is from 1967 but I’m pretty positive its from 1965 not only because Cizeron took over Geminiani production in 1966 but also because the identical image of the top of the line (in this catalog) No 100 Champion du Monde is also used on the team photograph of the 1965 Ford France-Gitane team. Something happened after 1965 season with team dropping Gitane to ride Anquetils and Geminianis instead, and the apparent parting of Geminiani brand from MICMO.

Likes For Markeologist:
Old 09-05-23, 04:44 PM

-----

one easy "tell" between 1965 and 1967 would be the Freres Huret front mech shown on the machines

in 1965 the latest was the Allvit model 600

by 1967 the Luxe 700 model had launched

-----
Old 09-23-23, 07:25 AM

Follow up on my last post…here is 1965 Ford France - Gitane team photo with brand new 1965 Mustang…note the ghost image of bike in bottom corners … its the same image from Gitane and Geminiani catalogs for the No 100. This is another reason why I think the catalog from GitaneUSA and as linked to here on BF is from 1965 and not 1967 as indicated.