Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Six-Million Dollar Man......Goose

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Six-Million Dollar Man......Goose

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-23, 11:56 AM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked 5,773 Times in 2,913 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I sense that this may be an argument you're having with your spouse.
​​​​​
Mine would have me tidying that garage and pulling the weeds from the pavement cracks. She'd put her foot down if I tried to leave the house in those jorts. I'm lucky to have her guidance.
Old 04-27-23, 12:21 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
There is always an opportunity cost (=value of next-best opportunity that would have been pursued) for any use of time. In that sense, if beng1 would have been working for wages instead of fixing the bike, then yes, the bike cost him the sum of money that was foregone. That is true ONLY if he actually did take time away from paid labor to fix up the bike. But that has little to do with the bike's value, which is determined by myriad other factors.
But that isn't what he was asserting--he was valuing the time at what you would pay a professional for the same number of hours, which is absurd as one would never hire a professional to dumpster dive a poor substitute for a $15 part.

"If you take any object in your possession to a skilled mechanic, craftsman, repair-person or fabricator and have them work on it they are going to charge you fifty to a hundred dollars an hour. "

It's hilarious that he had to make it sound like he was somehow donating $300 to some kids on a playground. It's even funnier that pretty much every thread ends up with him demonstrating what a miserable cuss he is while lecturing everyone on his enlightened inner peace. SERENITY NOW!!!!!!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-27-23, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7115 Post(s)
Liked 11,275 Times in 4,812 Posts
But that isn't what he was asserting--he was valuing the time at what you would pay a professional for the same number of hours, which is absurd as one would never hire a professional to dumpster dive a poor substitute for a $15 part.
I understand what he was asserting. But that was not even worth addressing. As you noted, it’s patently absurd.
Old 04-27-23, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8405 Post(s)
Liked 9,322 Times in 4,576 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Maybe it's a Mangoose NFT...
All of my tokens are fungible.
Old 04-28-23, 02:17 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
And yet there is quite a disparity between your alleged talents and the mechanical kludge/aesthetic abominations you are fond of posting.
Only to the tragically ignorant. It takes much more of a mechanic to put this low-quality Huffy together so it will run 19.5mph average in a TT as it did, than it would using high-end bicycles or components. And it takes a lot more intelligence than average to see beforehand that it could be done, to see that the parts that matter as far as speed is concerned are there in the low-end bicycle, when properly maintaned and assembled, to get the job done. It takes zero talent or intelligence to dump cash on high-end equipment and ride it out the door of a bicycle shop.

That was a worthy challenge for my talent and intelligence and I succeeded. What you and your peers indulge in would not be any challenge at all, nor would it be worthy of my time or talent.

Last edited by beng1; 04-28-23 at 02:22 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 04-28-23, 04:48 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by beng1
Only to the tragically ignorant. It takes much more of a mechanic to put this low-quality Huffy together so it will run 19.5mph average in a TT as it did, than it would using high-end bicycles or components. And it takes a lot more intelligence than average to see beforehand that it could be done, to see that the parts that matter as far as speed is concerned are there in the low-end bicycle, when properly maintaned and assembled, to get the job done. It takes zero talent or intelligence to dump cash on high-end equipment and ride it out the door of a bicycle shop.

That was a worthy challenge for my talent and intelligence and I succeeded. What you and your peers indulge in would not be any challenge at all, nor would it be worthy of my time or talent.

Your arrogance is funny as hell. The whole point of those bikes were to be as easy to bodge as possible. At this point, I think it's rather obvious you're lying about your resume because you are way too far into "protest too much" territory. We might be swine, but that ain't no pearl.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-28-23, 05:15 AM
Expired Member

I can see you saved precious grams with the electrical tape! Should we assume the 5lb dork disc and wild cabling enhance aerodynamics?
Old 04-28-23, 09:27 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3566 Post(s)
Liked 3,745 Times in 1,872 Posts
Only to the tragically ignorant. It takes much more of a mechanic to put this low-quality Huffy together so it will run 19.5mph average in a TT as it did, than it would using high-end bicycles or components.
It does not take a skilled mechanic to get a junky bike to the point where it rolls fairly efficiently when you pedal it. However, I don't know what to think of a mechanic who chooses to work on such poor quality equipment.

19.5mph is a moderate pace on a flat course. When I was fit, I could do that on my MTB. These guys time trial at close to that speed:

Old 04-28-23, 09:57 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by terrymorse
It does not take a skilled mechanic to get a junky bike to the point where it rolls fairly efficiently when you pedal it. However, I don't know what to think of a mechanic who chooses to work on such poor quality equipment.

19.5mph is a moderate pace on a flat course. When I was fit, I could do that on my MTB. These guys time trial at close to that speed:
I really don't have a problem with him taking some pride in keeping ugly old equipment running efficiently, it's just the attempt to claim it as proof of his mechanical genius and constant need to put other people's preferences down that makes the whole exercise hilarious.

TBH, his postings are so weird they're extremely entertaining. I'm just trying to figure out whether he believes this stuff or is just pulling one hell of an amusing troll. The would-be guru persona is top-notch!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-28-23, 10:00 AM
Expired Member

Definitely entertaining!
Old 04-28-23, 10:20 AM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 411 Posts
Love that Malteni jersey!
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 04-28-23, 01:31 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11063 Post(s)
Liked 7,626 Times in 4,253 Posts

Bike Forums needs a 'remembers' forum. It could be a place for the most outlandish posts could go and live forever in infamy.
You didnt do anything special to that Huffy. Some basic adjusting and greasing of hubs, adjusting of gears and brakes, and adjusting and greasing of the bottom bracket will result in a bike that can be ridden at 19.5mph. It simply is not difficult to do and is not impressive to see.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-28-23, 02:14 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Bike Forums needs a 'remembers' forum. It could be a place for the most outlandish posts could go and live forever in infamy.
You didnt do anything special to that Huffy. Some basic adjusting and greasing of hubs, adjusting of gears and brakes, and adjusting and greasing of the bottom bracket will result in a bike that can be ridden at 19.5mph. It simply is not difficult to do and is not impressive to see.
On the other hand, he did give me a new "Custom User Title".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-28-23, 02:48 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 5064 Post(s)
Liked 8,352 Times in 3,945 Posts
Maybe you can look some of these people up and give them your brain to work on, it would be a great investment for you.
If you ever wonder why so many folks here often have a bristly attitude towards you, one of the reasons is because you make statements like this ^^^.
Old 04-28-23, 02:50 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Eric F
If you ever wonder why so many folks here often have a bristly attitude towards you, one of the reasons is because you make statements like this ^^^.

Well, that and the time he accused me of never having a venereal disease.

I kid you not.
Old 04-28-23, 02:53 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 5064 Post(s)
Liked 8,352 Times in 3,945 Posts
Well, that and the time he accused me of never having a venereal disease.

I kid you not.
I was under the impression that the goal was to never have a venereal disease. That's a strange thing to be insulted about.
Old 04-28-23, 02:57 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Eric F
I was under the impression that the goal was to never have a venereal disease. That's a strange thing to be insulted about.

It was too stupid to be insulted:

Crashing techniques and styles

But yeah, I ca't take him seriously after that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-28-23, 03:04 PM
Expired Member

Bizarre! Didn't know he was around back then. Billy says he'll wither and die if we ignore him but it seems he has taken root. Although I'm not sure he's posted since they locked his Dear Penthouse thread.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 04-28-23 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-28-23, 09:37 PM
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 550 Posts
Sure, there's a level of pompousness and absurdity involved in a satire, but generally, there's a punchline (often veiled) or, on rereading, one can see when the author placed their tounge firmly in cheek. Ever read The Velominati ?

I can't imagine that going through the world being that contrarian and curmudgeonly all the time; must be exhausting. (Neurodivergents come in all shapes and sizes, though; )

If this is a character, though then, Chapeau to you sir; Your dedication to the Beng persona is following in the proud tradition with the greatest, most legendary of the Luchadores! Viva la Beng!

Last edited by Ironfish653; 04-29-23 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Possibly high from lack of sleep
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 04-28-23, 09:49 PM

It was too stupid to be insulted:

Crashing techniques and styles

But yeah, I ca't take him seriously after that.
"Anyone can ride 7000 miles without crashing their bicycle, their automobile, anyone can go through life without getting any STDs, trying LSD or getting their stomach pumped from alcohol poisoning etc.. I sure as heck don't want to be one of them or even hang out with any of them either."

Rephrasing it, bong1 would like to have STDs, drop LSD, and get his stomach pumped.

Okaaaay.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-28-23, 11:15 PM
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts

Dude, that thing has bolt-on axles and a one-piece crank. There are probably about half a million barefooted ten-year-old kids in third-world villages doing the stuff you're bragging about, using mostly just a big flat-headed screwdriver, a ten-inch adjustable wrench, and maybe a hammer.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 04-29-23, 06:40 AM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 672 Posts

I think that there is also the quality of tubing that matters if we are talking about theframe alone and then the quality of components which are involved as well with a bike if you want to go fast. The bike seems to have superfluous cabling, I don't think that with a bike like this you will go faster than a trek domane or specialized venge or even a highend steel frame. Pedaling on a bike having superflous dead weight and superflous cabling is not going to give you speed nor better peformance.
Old 04-29-23, 09:54 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Example: If I were still working, I could (conservatively) bill at $200/hr for consulting work. If I actually skip such an opportunity in order to do housework, then yeah, my housework costs me $200/hr. But the housework is probably only worth $25/hr or so, which is what those services sell for in my area.
Thanks for backing me up. I could go to the union-hall any time and be working every day for a lot of money, but I choose to skip that and do what I want, when I want, like fixing orphan bikes up and going for bike rides. I have not had any debt since the 1990s so I don't need as much money as those of average intelligence who spend their lives participating in the fashionable and trendy and keeping up with the Joneses.
Old 04-29-23, 10:53 PM

Thanks for backing me up. I could go to the union-hall any time and be working every day for a lot of money, but I choose to skip that and do what I want, when I want, like fixing orphan bikes up and going for bike rides. I have not had any debt since the 1990s so I don't need as much money as those of average intelligence who spend their lives participating in the fashionable and trendy and keeping up with the Joneses.
You forgot the part where I pointed out that the ****** old bike isn't actually worth jack-squat, even though you seem to think it is merely because you lavished your superior intelligence on it.

But what would I know? I've never even had my stomach pumped.
Old 04-30-23, 05:09 AM
Tragically Ignorant

If you think he was backing you up, your high intelligence doesn't extend to reading comprehension. The $300 figure you put on your time only applies if you would've been working for wages if you hadn't done the dumpster diving, etc. By your own admission, you aren't really doing that anymore. Claiming the opportunity costs of $300 is really delusional under those circumstances.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.