Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flat Tire Fixing 101:A flat every 10-20 miles means it's high time to change the tire

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Flat Tire Fixing 101:A flat every 10-20 miles means it's high time to change the tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-24, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I lived in Utah in the eighties. I tried Slime and it worked until it didn't. I used Mr Tuffy strips after that. I had my first flat from a loose valve ever today. I hand tightened and loosened the presta tip and the thing unscrewed. I didn't have a valve tool, so a wragg and a pair of pliers was the fix. I have had tubes that leaked were the valve was adhered to the tube before but never a loose valve. I ordered the tool and will check the tightness from now on.
Had this a few times. First was a bit of a shocker. Usually can get away with hand tightening out on the road if you have no multitool and you’re really gentle when you reattach the pump.

By the way, is a wragg a posh German made rag? 😁
Old 01-04-24, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 1,113 Times in 772 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I had my first flat from a loose valve ever today. I hand tightened and loosened the presta tip and the thing unscrewed. I didn't have a valve tool, so a wragg and a pair of pliers was the fix.
If you carry a chain tool the square opening where the link pin gets pushed through is usually a good enough fit to tighten a valve and some spoke wrenches will work if you're lucky. The round, multi-spoke nipple size tools usually have a size that will work but as you found out it's a good idea to take all your presta tubes and snug up the valves. I use a Lezyne mini pump which are one of the worst for unscrewing valves I have used and since making sure the valve is snug beforehand, I haven't had any issues.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-04-24 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-04-24, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Eyes Roll
In the last week of December 2023, I got flats in my rear bike tire on every single one of my last 3 rides. I had 4 flats within 60 bicycle miles, including 2 flats in one ride within a span of 5 minutes.

I have replaced the rear bike tire with a new tire on December 31, 2023, and went on a ride for about 70 miles on January 1, 2024, and I haven't had a flat since. I just wanted to share my experience. If you are getting a flat every 10 to 20 miles, it means it is high time for you to change the tire. Of course, you have to first make sure no sharp object is poking through the old tire from outside or is stuck in the old tire, the spokes are not causing the flat internally, and the rim tape is good.

The bottom tire in the picture is the old tire and the top is the new one. When I looked at the tire wear indicators, I thought I could get at least another 200 miles out of the old tire, but nah, I could not ride another 15 miles without getting a flat, and it was high time to replace the tire. I am just sharing my experience to the rookies who are new to bike-riding.
Your old tire still had plenty of miles left in it, as the wear indicators show. Until you can tell us what caused all these flats, blaming it on a not-worn-out tire is just guessing. It is extremely rare that I get a flat where I can't pinpoint the cause and that is how you know what to do in response. I ride lots of miles and replace tires when the casing threads are just starting to show (the Continental wear indicators are gone). I have seen no correlation between miles on the tire and flat frequency.
Old 01-04-24, 10:44 AM

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I don't patch tubes unless I'm on the road and already used the two that I carry. I commute, sometimes in the cold and dark, and not having any patches on my tubes gives me peace of mind.
Ditto on the not patching while on the road. But I do carry patches and glue ... just in case. Like you, I only use them on the road if I run out of tubes. However, I do patch the tubes when I get home - or a few days later - and re-pack them for the next ride. In my experience, a patched tube fails about as often as does a new tire.

When I was commuting most recently on the e-bike (flats are more common in the rear, and changing the tire on the rear has a few more complications on the ebike) I eventually went with a tire within a tire (cut the bead off the inner tire) solution. I've only had one flat doing that, and it was a sheet metal screw in the sidewall. Flats with pneumatics are inevitable I guess.

Last edited by Jay Turberville; 01-04-24 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-04-24, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 287 Posts
If you carry a chain tool the square opening where the link pin gets pushed through is usually a good enough fit to tighten a valve and some spoke wrenches will work if you're lucky. The round, multi-spoke nipple size tools usually have a size that will work but as you found out it's a good idea to take all your presta tubes and snug up the valves. I use a Lezyne mini pump which are one of the worst for unscrewing valves I have used and since making sure the valve is snug beforehand, I haven't had any issues.
It had been a while since I had any flats. I read through this thread prior to pulling the rear wheel out. It's a Rohloff belt drive so a little more fun. I thoroughly checked out the rim strip, the rim and checked the tire for holes and glass or thorns. This was the second try and luckily the valve unscrewed. I don't carry a chain tool and my spoke wrench is a single size. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-04-24, 07:57 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4526 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,830 Posts
Always figure out why you got a flat! A new tire is probably not the solution without knowing the problem. It could be as simple as not having enough pressure in the tire, which is super common and easy to solve without any replacing just pumping to the proper pressure.

I would make sure the rim is nice a smooth and the rim strip is in place and not worn out and there is nothing in the old tire and then make sure everything is properly inflated and if you are still getting flats take it to your local shop and have them take a look.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-12-24, 05:55 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
I don't see a badly worn tire, and you haven't told us what was causing the flats either.

I once ran a tire till the cords showed through, your tire you showed us still has the dimples showing which means it still had some miles left. I'm not recommending anyone to run your tires till the cords show because flats and blowouts are all very much possible, but that tire of yours was fine for at least another 800 to 1,000 miles.

If you still have those old tires this is what I would do, put the rear tire back on, ride as fast as I can and then hit the rear brake as hard as I can with no front brake, and have a skidding good time! Trash both tires down to the cord that way, have some fun again in life.