Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Cycling region, USA?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best Cycling region, USA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 05:07 AM

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShortLegCyclist
Rain here is tremendously overstated.

It rains less per year in Seattle and Portland than it does in New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Honoulu or any number of other large cities without the reputation.

But... it is GRAY here for 8 months straight, not a hint of sun. It's not the rain that drives Californians away, it's the perpetual gray.
i don't mind the rain, so much. & I agree. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. Of course, there are those who won't go out in the rain. If you can find a rain day in Los Angeles, you'll see exactly what I mean. I rode mAny times in the rain, when I lived in Los Angeles. Rarely did I see "anyone" else on a bike, on those days. The one time I met up with another rider, I asked him, "you aren't from around here, are you?" "I was just about to ask you the same thing"
Old 08-31-15, 05:29 AM

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Asheville NC. Hands down, what is the matter with you guys?

Almost all the federal roads in this area are in perfect condition and if you are on the Parkway before noon on a weekday (or even a weekend) there is virtually no traffic. I have done this climb and descent a number of times when I am all alone. The Asheville area is vital and up and coming. Housing prices are steep for the area but low nationally. Lots of two wheel activities bike and motorcycles abound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yjGNCSwnLQ

Last edited by bykemike; 08-31-15 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-31-15, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Belly
Northern California is a pretty amazing place. Cost of living seems to be sky rocketing. Tell me, if I'm wrong?
You are correct. I missed low cost of living on the list of qualifiers....Napa/Sonoma is definitely not that!
Old 08-31-15, 06:14 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts
Before you say, right here! Think about it. What part of the country, state, or even city has the best of what any cyclist would want? Criteria?

-Terrain? Mountains, Flat, rolling
-Favorable seasons? Cant be stuck inside 6 damn months out of the year!!!!
-Reasonable cost of living?
-Plentiful job market?
-Air quality?
-Great food? Gotta have amazing places to eat, right?
-Arts/Culture?
-Heck, even cycling variety might be important. Road(of course), MTB, Cyclocross

I know I'm probably missing something but, you get the point.... Where?
Nice all around list of considerations. But each individual needs to rank them and the rankings will be individualized. There is no "best" overall.
Old 08-31-15, 06:18 AM

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bykemike
Asheville NC. Hands down, what is the matter with you guys?

Almost all the federal roads in this area are in perfect condition and if you are on the Parkway before noon on a weekday (or even a weekend) there is virtually no traffic. I have done this climb and descent a number of times when I am all alone. The Asheville area is vital and up and coming. Housing prices are steep for the area but low nationally. Lots of two wheel activities bike and motorcycles abound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yjGNCSwnLQ
Looks like an amazingly smooth, not too technical, road. Are there a lot of these types of ride options?
Old 08-31-15, 06:21 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Nice all around list of considerations. But each individual needs to rank them and the rankings will be individualized. There is no "best" overall.
Yes, maybe. But I think the point of the exercise is to hear where & why, from people who have an opinion.
Old 08-31-15, 06:36 AM

Yes, maybe. But I think the point of the exercise is to hear where & why, from people who have an opinion.
The natural tendency is to make opinions on past experience. What else do we have to go by? Those considerations take on a lot of territory in a broader sense of that word.
Old 08-31-15, 06:56 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The natural tendency is to make opinions on past experience. What else do we have to go by? Those considerations take on a lot of territory in a broader sense of that word.
Ok, here's what I think, & the reason for asking. I've lived in Seattle, Portland/OR, Los Angeles & now Vermont.
Los Angeles, By far had the best Cycling. I could ride out the front door & just about have anything, cyclingwise that I needed/Wanted. However, the cost of living, the unhappy(or angry) people, the lack of seasons & smog made it pretty miserable for us.
Vermont is pretty amazing as well. One huge drawback being that the Winter's are long & cold. Not to mention the job market is bleak & pay, generally low/cost of living, high.
We've considered moving back to the Pacific NW, family there. But, again, we'd like to find the perfect balance of of things we need & enjoy.
Old 08-31-15, 07:06 AM

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Santa Barbara CA. It has everything including year round sunny weather. It is pricey though.

Charlie
Old 08-31-15, 07:08 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ursa Minor
Santa Barbara CA. It has everything including year round sunny weather. It is pricey though.

Charlie
Always enjoyed SB, as well.
Old 08-31-15, 07:12 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 1,347 Times in 782 Posts
IMO trying to come up with any "best" list is just mental ************. And, having ridden a motorcycle all over this country I'm pretty sure there are tons of places that would qualify if you did attempt such a list. What matters to me is where I live and ride and how it feels. I'm really happy in my corner of northeastern CT and New England generally. And, there are a lot of other places I could like as well.
Old 08-31-15, 07:50 AM

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Looks like an amazingly smooth, not too technical, road. Are there a lot of these types of ride options?
The Parkway itself is 480 miles long and it all looks like this and much of it is quite a bit nicer with elevations up to 6000' + , most of the grades are 7% or less.

The local roads going up to and along the parkway are plentiful to say the least. If you are in Asheville itself there is a road (Town Mountain Road) that goes from the downtown area right up into
Bull Gap, the climb from Bull Gap up Craggy Peak is transcendent.

I did this climb/descent everyday for 6 days in a row last year. My legs were toast but what a rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi4aOWKmBZY

Last edited by bykemike; 08-31-15 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-31-15, 09:47 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Don't even consider coastal Rhode Island ans SE coastal Massachusetts. Fugeddaboutit. While hills can be found and terrain is pretty and there are many quiet country roads for rides of any length and farms and wild flowers, the roadways are clogged with bikes.
Old 08-31-15, 10:46 AM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 2,201 Times in 1,339 Posts
Except for the cost of living, South Orange County in California is pretty stellar for riding. Not as nice as it was 30 years ago when you could get out and ride through orange groves with few cars, it is still a great place to ride. West takes you to the beach and east takes you to the mountains. A lot of good mountain biking close by. Irvine has miles of MUP.

John
Old 08-31-15, 11:30 AM

Ok, here's what I think, & the reason for asking. I've lived in Seattle, Portland/OR, Los Angeles & now Vermont.
Los Angeles, By far had the best Cycling. I could ride out the front door & just about have anything, cyclingwise that I needed/Wanted. However, the cost of living, the unhappy(or angry) people, the lack of seasons & smog made it pretty miserable for us.
Vermont is pretty amazing as well. One huge drawback being that the Winter's are long & cold. Not to mention the job market is bleak & pay, generally low/cost of living, high.
We've considered moving back to the Pacific NW, family there. But, again, we'd like to find the perfect balance of of things we need & enjoy.
Ok, consider how a young father of say a 2 year old with another on the way. His priorities may be way different than an aging Baby Boomer who is now a grandparent and retired or semi retired.
Old 08-31-15, 11:50 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ok, consider how a young father of say a 2 year old with another on the way. His priorities may be way different than an aging Baby Boomer who is now a grandparent and retired or semi retired.
So why shouldn't you submit your ideal? You afraid that one might judge, or not be smart enough to realize that it's your ideal & not theirs?
What I'm doing here is brainstorming, in a sense. I know that your gem may not fit my ideals. But what if I hadn't thought of that area. If nothing else, it's fun to explore & see things through others eyes. Take in new points of view.
Old 08-31-15, 12:03 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Napa Valley was Nice when I was Young.. Set the WABAC to early 60s..
Old 08-31-15, 12:13 PM

So why shouldn't you submit your ideal? You afraid that one might judge, or not be smart enough to realize that it's your ideal & not theirs?
What I'm doing here is brainstorming, in a sense. I know that your gem may not fit my ideals. But what if I hadn't thought of that area. If nothing else, it's fun to explore & see things through others eyes. Take in new points of view.
I think you asked for "criteria" and "where". The "where" has been covered many times. Yet, it would be helpful to hear what everyone has to say. Something new is bound to come up.

The "criteria" should or should not be limited to geographical location. That would add to brainstorming for new ideas.
Old 08-31-15, 12:16 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Northern California is a pretty amazing place. Cost of living seems to be sky rocketing. Tell me, if I'm wrong?
It's skyrocketing in Sonoma and Napa Counties, but farther inland is still (relatively) affordable.
Old 08-31-15, 12:17 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Except for the cost of living, South Orange County in California is pretty stellar for riding. Not as nice as it was 30 years ago when you could get out and ride through orange groves with few cars, it is still a great place to ride. West takes you to the beach and east takes you to the mountains. A lot of good mountain biking close by. Irvine has miles of MUP.

John
I don't think there are many orange trees left in Orange County.
Old 08-31-15, 12:22 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
It's skyrocketing in Sonoma and Napa Counties, but farther inland is still (relatively) affordable.
seems to be the norm, just about everywhere. The further you get from the city, the more affordable the housing but job market becomes bleak. We a all Need to find that balance.
Old 08-31-15, 12:32 PM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Mamba (circa 1995 or so), 2012 KHS CX300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roanoke, VA... The weather is pretty good--mild winters and not devastatingly hot in the summer, and the cost of living is not bad, especially compared to many of the areas being touted here. Roanoke has a nice greenway system, we have mountains, plenty of nice roads to ride (you can also get on the Blue Ridge Parkway here), plenty of trails for mountain biking (Carvin's Cove has a big batch of trails specifically for mountain bikers, We're hard by the Appalachian Trail, and there's all sorts of other trails you could ride on that are close).

There's some great places to eat in town and plenty more a short drive away, there are three excellent breweries in town (Soaring Ridge, Parkway Brewing Co., and Roanoke Railhouse) and several more within an hour's drive, not to mention quite a few wineries.

The job market seems good here, too, especially if you are in the medical field.
Old 08-31-15, 12:33 PM

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My vote is Southern Oregon, far superior to Portland Oregon. Weather is better, more hills, less people, less signal lights, less traffic, more wine, more trees, less hipsters and fixed gears, as much beer, more space, more scenery, more fishing, and we have Keith Anderson, Jeff Lyon, Land Shark, and more. Cost of living is low and the plants grow well. Lots of water, not a lot of competition for it.

shall i carry on?
Old 08-31-15, 12:34 PM

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Anywhere where it is over 100 degrees for significant portions of the year should not be included. Southern CA and Arizona are fun to ride in winter, but summer? how much do you like to spin on the machine in AC?
Old 08-31-15, 12:38 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
It's skyrocketing in Sonoma and Napa Counties
which is why I returned to Oregon after attending each of my parent's funerals, in Napa, in 99& 00..

COL Price and Heat ..

Rocky fire has been burning in Lake/Napa/Yolo county area.. https://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents...cident_id=1161

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-31-15 at 12:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.