Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Contador is a class act

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Contador is a class act

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best reply yet. Good job!

It'll fall on deaf ears though.
If by deaf, I assum you mean fans wanting AC to grow up and understand what it is to be a good teamate in good and tough times...

AC was awesome and truly the best rider in this tour. I actually applauded his moves to help LA today but that still does not negate his one man act that could have helped a 1,2,3 and not just a 1,3. I think everybody would have liked to have seen how much he could have won by today as he was holding back. Nobody is expecting him to sacrifice himself, just to show what it is to be a teamate on more than one stage.

Okay LA haters...here's your chance

Last edited by ajwray; 07-25-09 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-25-09, 12:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't hate the guy.
Could have fooled me....
Old 07-25-09, 12:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
has used this TDF to serve his own purposes
"Own purposes"..like increased ratings, increased sales of bike supplies, increased exposure to the sport and sponsors, continued live HD coverage of a sport most Americans wouldn't watch...

Seems like some people can't see the forest through their hate
Old 07-25-09, 12:20 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR C1 ,Giant Yukon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contador is a low class individual period. If given the chance and he tried he would throw Lance under the bus, he showed that earlier this week. Better ratings etc. sure but when and if they get caught and hopefully there dopping will be caught it may kill the sport in the US. Be carful what you wish for you may get it.
Old 07-25-09, 12:21 PM
Allegheny Mtns of WV

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If Contador was a class act, then Astana would probably have taken the podium this year, but Contador was about himself and not the team and so they only take 1 & 3
Old 07-25-09, 12:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erader
you probably don't know anything about that race i'm sure.

ed rader
What??? Clue me in on what I missed?
Old 07-25-09, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Jager
Contador is a low class individual period. If given the chance and he tried he would throw Lance under the bus, he showed that earlier this week. Better ratings etc. sure but when and if they get caught and hopefully there dopping will be caught it may kill the sport in the US. Be carful what you wish for you may get it.
what a 99er.
Old 07-25-09, 12:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no, i dislike armstrong who talks out of both sides of his mouth and has used this TDF to serve his own purposes. i don't hate the guy.

ed rader
Rolls eyes.
Old 07-25-09, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
you probably don't know anything about that race i'm sure.

ed rader
correct.
Old 07-25-09, 12:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paco97
If Contador was a class act, then Astana would probably have taken the podium this year, but Contador was about himself and not the team and so they only take 1 & 3
I don't think Kloden takes third.
Old 07-25-09, 12:34 PM

Bikes: 08 Giant Boulder, 08 Scattante XLR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by julian
That was a whole different ballgame. Did Armstrong have a team mate to protect that year from slipping off the podium?
Armstrong raced to win. I don't ever recall a situation where he cared one way or another if he had another teammate on the podium with him. Same goes for Pantani, Ullrich, Indurain, Riis, Merckx...
Old 07-25-09, 12:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What??? Clue me in on what I missed?
i don't have the time or the patience. i've got to head to monterey shortly. i'm shooting a wedding for our friend and it's my wife's birthday. she's two years older than lance .... i may have to trade her in for a younger model .

ed rader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daxr
Armstrong raced to win. I don't ever recall a situation where he cared one way or another if he had another teammate on the podium with him. Same goes for Pantani, Ullrich, Indurain, Riis, Merckx...
So when did he have a teammate close to the podium that he screwed over? Please enlighten me.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paco97
If anything, today showed what a PITA it is to try to get a teammate on the podium who doesn't have the legs for it.
Old 07-25-09, 12:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ajwray
"Own purposes"..like increased ratings, increased sales of bike supplies, increased exposure to the sport and sponsors, continued live HD coverage of a sport most Americans wouldn't watch...

Seems like some people can't see the forest through their hate
you forgot "love of the sport" and "cancer awareness" .

ed rader
Old 07-25-09, 12:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So when did he have a teammate close to the podium that he screwed over? Please enlighten me.
Its not that he screwed anyone over, just that it doesn't work that way. The team rides for the leader, the leader's only job is to win. The rest of the guys have some slack to do well if they have anything left, but its upside-down to think that's the leader's responsibility.
Old 07-25-09, 12:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who did contador "screw over"? champions don't ride for their domestiques and lance in the day would have never tolerated the situation he created on astana this year .... and that is a huge understatement.

ed rader
Old 07-25-09, 12:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daxr
Its not that he screwed anyone over, just that it doesn't work that way. The team rides for the leader, the leader's only job is to win. The rest of the guys have some slack to do well if they have anything left, but its upside-down to think that's the leader's responsibility.
i call it loser logic. that's how you lose races.

ed rader
Old 07-25-09, 12:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i call it loser logic. that's how you lose races.

ed rader
Exactly...like the whole Kloden thing on Verbier. Kloden didn't have the legs to follow, but he was only there to begin with to help Contador if he could. In that case he couldn't, so his getting dropped should have been a non-issue to the leader.

The repetitive commentary on it by guys who should know better has been a little ridiculous.
Old 07-25-09, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how would winning the stage affect the third podium spot? armstrong was racing for third and he was clearly stronger than wiggins or frank schleck. wiggins was barely hanging on and armstrong easily handled frank schleck.
+1

Even from the first attack by Andy, it was clear that Frank didn't have the legs to drop Armstrong. Had Contador taken off after the first couple of failed attempts by the Schlecks to drop LA, he'd have taken another stage win, and a prestigious one at that, and LA would still be comfortably on the podium.

I think that if Lance were in Contador's pedals, he'd have gone for the stage win.
Old 07-25-09, 12:59 PM
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
many of the astana guys will be getting their checks signed by lance next year.
Next year? How about this year? All the talk of Lance and Johan taking over the team with new sponsors they can secure with a 5 minute phone call and the blurring out of the jerseys at the giro is what finally got the sponsors to get that money in to the UCI and get the riders back pay on the way.
Old 07-25-09, 12:59 PM
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Jager

haters always want to hate. ac is the best, get over it
Old 07-25-09, 01:17 PM
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
Yes.

Lance should have sucked it up and threw all of his support behind AC. That would have been true team leadership. They had the yellow jersey, the most dominant rider in the race, but they were bent because AC wasn't following their "team" tactics. Tactics that weren't the best strategy for AC to dominate the race. Contador should have had well over a 5 minute lead going into the ITT. But he'd been reigned in on the pyrenees.
OK, but why do you think the team's strategy should have been for AC to dominate the race? The best thing for the team is to have one of your guys on top of the podium when the race is over. With Contador comfortably in yellow, Astana would have had an excellent insurance policy if Lance or Andreas was in 2nd. Look at how quickly Jens Voight's race ended...something like that can happen to anyone. If AC crashed out of the tour, he would have contributed to the race being won by another team.

Armstrong definitely supported Contador in this race. On two stages he did not follow attacks so as not to pull other GC contenders back to Contador. Some will argue that he didn't have the ability to follow the attacks but if you watched the race, it was clear that he had not cracked but was simply being a good teammate. Armstrong knew that Contador was the stronger rider and he supported him like he said he would. Basically the problem was that AC didn't agree with JB's plan so he did his own thing. That is not a good teammate.
Old 07-25-09, 01:20 PM
Smallpox Champion

Bikes: 2005 Lemond Poprad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be honest. I don't like Contador... or should I say I didn't. He rode as a team player today and went way up on my list in terms of growth and respectability. No matter what team he's on next year, being a good team player this year shows he's realizing what he needs to do to progress as a champion. Hats off to Andy and Lance as well, because those three were riding an exceptional race in today's stage. I thought it was a n entertaining stage, and while most (erader comes to mind---get tivo and sleep in next time if you don't want to see it good or bad but stop being a whining jackass about it) might say it was boring, I thought it showcased the strengths and class of the main contenders. Good tour, though the course could have been better.
Old 07-25-09, 01:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't have the time or the patience. i've got to head to monterey shortly. i'm shooting a wedding for our friend and it's my wife's birthday. she's two years older than lance .... i may have to trade her in for a younger model .

ed rader
Ya I won't badger you anymore. If I pop one more of your blood vessels we will read about you in the morning taking out the whole wedding party. Hopefully you are taking a camera and not a gun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.