Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bib shorts

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bib shorts

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
The straps aren't really tight. The only downside I see in bibs are the extra step to use the toilet, but that's nothing compared to the uncomfortably tight waistband, the plumber's butt, and the beer gut rolling over the front with regular shorts.
In all these years, this has never been an issue with any shorts I've worn. I have 3 pairs of bibs, but still prefer shorts. Too bad many jerseys are cut so short now-a-days, causing biker butt.
(end of grumpy old-timer rant)

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 01-16-11 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-16-11, 11:22 AM
Nerd

Bikes: Cervelo R3 SL, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by techlogik
Bib cycling shorts are akin to bib skiing pants....ridiculous looking and outdated. But to each his own.
You do know that all the pros wear bibs, right?

I was never bothered by shorts until I tried bibs. Now I can't stand the way regular shorts feel and wear nothing but bibs.
Old 01-16-11, 11:25 AM
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I have Giordana and Castelli bib shorts. The difference that I have noticed would be the hand of the fabric and the material of the chamois.
Not being flip, but isnt that (fabric and chamois) pretty much the entire bib short? Or do you mean that the material is different but doesnt feel different on the bike?

Thanks,
V.
Old 01-16-11, 11:56 AM

Bikes: 2011 Serotta Ottrott, Serotta TI Road Bike, Serotta TI MTB,Ritchey Breakaway Ti Cross, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Cannondale Tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a pair of Assos F1.13_S5 bib shorts in November. I've only used regular shorts in the past. I didn't have problems with gut hanging over or plumbers butt, etc, just wanted to see what all the hoopla was with Assos bib shorts. The Assos naming standards are confusing but the shorts are very very comfortable. I've worn them on a 109 mile ride and had no issues with pain or numbness. I've since bought some of the Pearl Izumi Pro bib shorts and they are comfortable for 40-60 mile rides as well but not as comfortable when you go over that.

Mine were around $400 after taxes at the LBS so be prepared for sticker shock. If you think about it you probably waste more than $400 on some dubious activities/things during the year and a pain-free crotch after a century is worth the money for me...
Old 01-16-11, 12:02 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Classic (55cm), Specialized Tarmac Pro (56cm)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
As a recent convert to bib shorts, let me tell you they are way better than shorts for all the reasons already explained. The straps "disappear" once you're on the bike and you don't even feel they're there. Only thing is going to the bathroom. I use the Giordana silverline bibshorts and love them. I think I paid like $60 for them from Ribble. Give them a shot.

Specialized Tarmac, lasts a lifetime, or until it breaks.
Old 01-16-11, 12:07 PM
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Thanks for all the replies. I don't have a problem with plummer-butt in my regular shorts and don't find the waistband uncomfortable...but so many people swear by the bibs that I thought I might give it a try...but I'm not going to spend $120 on a pair of shorts that I might not like. I'll check out some of the recommendations.
I was in the same boat but found some PI bibs on sale at REI and grabbed a pair. I'm not too fond of how they accentuate my still not trim gut, but comfort-wise they rock. I'm 6'3" and large fits my butt but they are maybe a tad short on the straps. Still, I don't really notice any of this while riding and that is really the goal in my mind. I have shorts and still wear them but wear the bibs most of the time now. I think I paid about $90 for the PI elites.
Old 01-16-11, 12:18 PM
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My go to bibs have been from Voler with the Ion SL pad. They have a variety of choices and frequently have sales. And no shipping costs.
Old 01-16-11, 12:19 PM

Bikes: A trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hum, let's say, After passing a guy showing off his crack to the whole world. I was pretty much glad I spent the extra cash on bibs.

Anyway, bibs aren't pulling on your shoulder, they fit like a glove you do not even feel like you have something on, it's like a second skin and people aren't making fun of your crack.

try some.
Old 01-16-11, 12:19 PM

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by kf9yr
I just bought a pair of Assos F1.13_S5 bib shorts in November. I've only used regular shorts in the past. I didn't have problems with gut hanging over or plumbers butt, etc, just wanted to see what all the hoopla was with Assos bib shorts. The Assos naming standards are confusing but the shorts are very very comfortable. I've worn them on a 109 mile ride and had no issues with pain or numbness. I've since bought some of the Pearl Izumi Pro bib shorts and they are comfortable for 40-60 mile rides as well but not as comfortable when you go over that.

Mine were around $400 after taxes at the LBS so be prepared for sticker shock. If you think about it you probably waste more than $400 on some dubious activities/things during the year and a pain-free crotch after a century is worth the money for me...
$400??!!! That's more than my bike cost. Until someone pays me to be a cyclist, I can't see ever justifying a $400 pair of pants.
Old 01-16-11, 12:21 PM

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by alexvpaq
hum, let's say, After passing a guy showing off his crack to the whole world. I was pretty much glad I spent the extra cash on bibs.

Anyway, bibs aren't pulling on your shoulder, they fit like a glove you do not even feel like you have something on, it's like a second skin and people aren't making fun of your crack.

try some.
I don't have that problem. My pants stay in place.
Old 01-16-11, 12:28 PM

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try the Castelli Ergo Tre Bibs. They're on Amazon for $51. You do have to order a size larger since they run small. I know it's a dollar over your budget but it's gonna be hard finding a good name brand bib for anything less. The Performance Ultra II"s are awesome too.
Old 01-16-11, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Performance bike bibs (Ultra or their others) are good enough for serious use. I also have compared to Assos F1 Uno and while the Uno is definitely built better, I've had zero problems with riding on the Performance bibs, and no difference in comfort.

I wouldn't spend less than $50 for bibs if you're riding long (3+ hrs). You'll definitely appreciate the good padding and form factor at that duration.

If you're just doing rides of 90 mins or less, you could probably get by with el cheapos, but they wouldn't be doing you much better than a padless short.
Old 01-16-11, 01:33 PM

Bikes: Ridley Boreas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best Bib Shorts I own are Giordana, and Sportful (made by Castelli oddly enough). Worst Bib Shorts I own are some Castelli Ergo Tre, a Castelli Cervelo TDF bib I paid $70 for and a Mavic Espoir bib I paid $60 for. Tempted to put them through my shredder for being so poorly designed. I don't buy into the "straps have to be snug standing up" fit. My Giordana, Sportful, and even low end Pearl Izumi all fit correctly, chamois is perfectly placed and doesnt move. Straps are comfortable standing up too. I wear both but bib shorts just feel more comfortable.
Old 01-16-11, 02:10 PM

Bikes: 2011 Serotta Ottrott, Serotta TI Road Bike, Serotta TI MTB,Ritchey Breakaway Ti Cross, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Cannondale Tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$400??!!! That's more than my bike cost. Until someone pays me to be a cyclist, I can't see ever justifying a $400 pair of pants.
I'm single and pay the mortgage on time so I don't have to justify the cost of my bike gear...

I wouldn't pay $400 for a pair of Italian shoes or a belt (well I have for my ex-wife but wouldn't spend that for my clothes).

There is a difference in quality, fit and comfort between the different levels of shorts I have. I still wear the cheap $40-60 dollar shorts on a quick 1 hour ride but I can afford to wear better ones on longer/harder rides.

I bought really nice bikes for my kids and really nice bike computers so they can track their rides on line. Some would say it's a waste of money but I really enjoy going out and riding with them and they are both fit, active kids that get good grades and don't have obesity or eating problems.

Spend what you can afford on shorts but there are more expensive options that will save your butt some agony...
Old 01-16-11, 02:55 PM
Fringe Cognoscenti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by techlogik
Bib cycling shorts are akin to bib skiing pants....ridiculous looking and outdated. But to each his own.
Psst.. you wear the straps UNDER the jersey.
Old 01-16-11, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,203 Times in 1,483 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker
I thought that at first but noticed damn near every pro wears them. I have four pairs of regular shorts and don't have any problems. I've been wondering if I'll be a bit more comfortable in bibs.
Bibs really become noticably more comfortable than shorts when you spend several hours in the saddle. If I'm going on a 1 or 2 hour ride, I usually go with shorts. But if I plan on doing a long ride, I pick bibs just because the tight waist of shorts gets annoying and irratating after a couple hours.
Old 01-16-11, 03:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I converted from shorts to bib shorts and have never looked back. They are much better for the reasons listed, and are worth the extra cash
Old 01-16-11, 06:25 PM
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good deals are out there. you just have to be patient. i bought my giordana silverlines (R.I.P.) from sierratradingpost.com for $50. those very comfortable bibs were a steal at that price. the only time i will wear shorts these days is on the trainer. only bibs for the road. they really are that much better than shorts.
Old 01-16-11, 07:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll never bike in anything but bibs. They're so much more better all around. They RULE
Old 01-16-11, 11:05 PM

Bikes: S2, Wilier GTR (Arr), Giant VT, Myata 3-10

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Voler is/was clearing out their "recycle" line (recycled fibers methinks, to my mailbox for < $50, retail over twice't); as club kit is Voler, and I like it o.k., but not so much the pad, I tried the thinner more resilient pad for the new pair, now my 2nd fave.

1st favourite still is the Capo, but the material is about shot. The pad is still perfect.

Points being, shop and ye shall find retail/2, and the better products are ...better.
Old 01-16-11, 11:37 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's a clothing company in Vista that has two warehouse sales a year. The last one was in December so you're SOL until late spring. Email Jami@Canari.com and ask to be put on the email list for notification.
Old 01-17-11, 12:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bib's remind me to much of this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
borat.jpg (25.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-17-11, 12:53 AM

Bikes: A trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have that problem. My pants stay in place.
Good for you, you wont have to explain to your GF what's up with the tanline on your butt.
Old 01-17-11, 07:46 AM

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teterider
Bonktown has had some good deals on bibs, and the Performance Elite or Ultra shorts are consistently rated very high by me, people in this forum, and magazines. They have Italian chamois and good stitching. I actually like the Elites over the Ultra on the bib side, and they are on sale for $60.
I have more expensive bib shorts but have found the Performance bib shorts the best for the money.
Old 01-17-11, 07:53 AM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9 5...duh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ride with a pair of shorts falling down in the crack area your entire ride then let me know if you worry about straps over your shoulders.

I know from experience. Even after being told to buy bibs on my first bike/gear buying trip I didn't and regretted it a week into owning shorts.

BUY BIBS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.