Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding in thunderstorms

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding in thunderstorms

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 08:05 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
...I always have a number of "shelters" I've mentally marked out along the way if I need cover during a storm.
The local bars right?
Old 07-13-15, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll ride in wind and rain up to the point that visibility, road conditions, or wind velocity make it excessively dangerous. I'm usually more concerned with how the rain and wind affects other drivers on the road with decreased visibility, braking, and general control of their vehicles.

Lightning is another story. I love to watch and photograph lightning but I don't want to be caught out on the road on a bike in a lightning storm. I know the chances of being struck are very slim, but why push your luck?

Other tall conductors in close proximity aren't really much protection as lightning follows stepped leaders ("threads" of ionized air that can project from any conductor). True, tall metal structures make the best targets, but lightning is very unpredictable and can "ignore" obvious conductors and strike anywhere. There are also numerous instances where lightning jumps from conductor to conductor before finally hitting the ground. The majority people who survive "being struck by lightning" are actually survivors of near misses and arc splash. Still very dangerous and one hell of a whollap but nowhere near the energy of a direct strike. Even once it reaches the ground, the energy from a lightning strike can travel quite some distance and still be dangerous.

The insulation from the 1" or so of rubber on your bike tires won't mean squat to an arc of 200,000+ volts at 10,000+ amps. I've seen the aftermath of a backhoe being struck by lightning while traveling on a paved road. One of the tires was blown where the arc jumped from the rim to the road, a distance of 15-18" insulated by very heavy rubber.

Here is some good information on lightning that avoids the mythology and old wive's tales: Facts & Figures all about Lightning.
Old 07-13-15, 09:15 AM

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I never felt that riding my bike home was the best thing to do during a tornado threat.
Cue the "Wicked Witch of the West" theme from "Wizard of Oz!"
Old 07-13-15, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This last few months were I live it seems to rain everyday. I am out in it sometimes. I don't worry about a rain shower, but a bad storm is another story. I have been out in a few of those. I have mapped out along my path where I will go to duck out of the rain. A baseball field dugout or a bench under a canopy in a park etc. Once the storm lessens I procede... The only thing I worry about is having a heavy tree limb fall on me. That happened to a woman on a trail in my area and killed her... Now once I was riding in ominous weather and the Tornado siren went off. Talk about a "what do I do now" scare.. The only thing I came up with if there was a Tornado was to lie down in a ditch along the trail...
Max Bryant
Old 07-13-15, 06:43 PM

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Once, when I was in college, I was pounding it on my bike to get home before a Tennessee thunderstorm hit. Maybe a half a block down the street, a tall white oak suddenly glowed glow-stick green a split second before exploding as the bolt hit it. I stopped at a friend's house that was close by. My ears rang for hours. Now I live in the lightning strike capital of the country, if not the world. Since I work closely with the ER, I've seen lightning strike victims. They rarely do well, though occasionally one will get lucky. Most victims are not hit directly by the bolt itself--- they'd probably end up like that tree. There is a (usually) 20-30 ft roughly circular zone around the zero point that is usually completely incinerated as the ground charge pops to the middle, usually at a tree, golfer, or other low resistance point. Thing is, you don't have to get hit by the arc itself. All you have to be is close. enough. You really don't want to be a taller-than-the-terrain skin bag of conductive electrolytes, especially mounted on metal. And before anyone asks, the bolt is already arcing a distance of miles, so no, an inch or so of rubber tire is not enough to insulate you. Get inside.
Old 07-14-15, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you see lightning find the closest cover possible. If you hear lightning find it quicker.

When I was 12 and camping with a church group we had 2 of my friends killed by a lightning strike. The lightning hit a tree 10 yards from there tent was, but it was the surge through the soil that killed them. After they were discovered the next morning and the body's were removed you could see the paths that electricity traveled burned into the tent floor...

Many years later here in Kansas I lived 35 miles from work and decided to catch a nap in the parking lot in my truck since I was in the area early. I parked right next to a steel light pole in the parking lot. A storm moved in and the pole was hit by lightning and jumped to my truck at the base...then to ground. Witnesses on a porch facing the parking lots said it was huge! I don't remember a flash, but I remember the BOOM! Truck electrical was fried and insurance totaled the truck because it was pretty old.

Long story short...don't take any chances with lightning!
Old 07-17-15, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just want to know. Has anybody ever designed a Faraday Cage raincoat and connected rain helmet for cycling?
Old 07-17-15, 06:52 PM

Bikes: Dahon fold-up, '12 Giant Talon 29 ER 0, '16 Giant Toughroad SLR1.

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Worst storm I've ridden in was a heavy rain event that hit Brisbane/Caboolture area. Numerous roads were closed due to flooding.

I rode through it without any problems, a little damp, but all in one piece and not much more delayed than normal.

Basically if it's just wet weather and a bit of "fireworks", depending on the environment I'm in I'd probably just continue on. If I'm going to get struck, I'm going to get struck, so be it.

Hail is more of a concern to me, there are more hailstones thrown down during a storm than lightning bolts so your chances of getting hit are many orders of magnitude greater. The other big concern is high wind, which can either push you over (if its a cross wind) or pick up debris and hurl it in your general direction.
Old 07-17-15, 08:07 PM

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aznman
I just want to know. Has anybody ever designed a Faraday Cage raincoat and connected rain helmet for cycling?
Would this work?

GH
Old 07-17-15, 10:42 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
Would this work?

GH
That is not suitable for cycling
Old 07-18-15, 12:59 AM

That is not suitable for cycling
Indeed, a bit heavy and possibly too poor in the freedom of movement department.

You could knit copper into some sort of fabric then impregnate it with plastic, but it'd be dear as poison, possibly quite heavy and you'd sweat to blazes.

Even then, the resistance offered by the copper wire would vaporise it in an instant, so you'd immediately find yourself covered in melted plastic and 3rd degree burns. A car works because the chassis isn't in contact with your body, and is solid metal panelling, although how long that remains the case with the advances in plastics is anyone's guess.
Old 07-18-15, 01:33 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Redhatter
Indeed, a bit heavy and possibly too poor in the freedom of movement department.

You could knit copper into some sort of fabric then impregnate it with plastic, but it'd be dear as poison, possibly quite heavy and you'd sweat to blazes.

Even then, the resistance offered by the copper wire would vaporise it in an instant, so you'd immediately find yourself covered in melted plastic and 3rd degree burns. A car works because the chassis isn't in contact with your body, and is solid metal panelling, although how long that remains the case with the advances in plastics is anyone's guess.
Highly flexible Faraday suits for physical activities already exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIjC7DjoVe8

Last edited by Aznman; 07-18-15 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-18-15, 01:57 AM

Highly flexible Faraday suits for physical activities already exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIjC7DjoVe8
Yep, seen that video years ago at uni… and I found the ending as amusing now as I did then.

Two points: one, those workers didn't look like they were doing highly strenuous work in comparison to cycling, and two, 500MV is bugger all compared to the energy in a thunderbolt.
Old 07-19-15, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KZBrian
The Sheriff's department came by announcing "Dangerous storm coming! Find shelter!"

So we did.
Was that yesterday? You folks had some good storms roll through!
Old 07-19-15, 02:48 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Redhatter
Yep, seen that video years ago at uni… and I found the ending as amusing now as I did then.

Two points: one, those workers didn't look like they were doing highly strenuous work in comparison to cycling, and two, 500MV is bugger all compared to the energy in a thunderbolt.
The workers were working under the sun. And no matter how long you have worked at that job, messing around with high electricity, high above ground should make you sweat with nervousness

And cycling rain coats are similar to the electric suit above; you would still sweat anyway with proper rain coat.

I agree with you about the electric voltage difference though. But since a suit of plate armor can protect you from lightning, maybe someone can make the suit waterproof and a little bit lighter.
It doesn't even have to be a suit, just a Faraday cape.

Last edited by Aznman; 07-19-15 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-19-15, 05:34 PM

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,347 Times in 629 Posts
About 25 years ago a young boy was struck and killed by lightning here while playing catch with his sister under a blue sky, the nearest clouds were 15 miles away.
Old 07-20-15, 03:18 PM

Bikes: Jamis Renegade, Kris Holm/Nimbus 29, Nimbus Eclipse

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by b_twill
Was that yesterday? You folks had some good storms roll through!
That was 2011 on the Pedal Across Lower Michigan tour. Several good storms here in the past week!
Old 07-21-15, 10:32 AM
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked 3,166 Times in 1,714 Posts
just. keep. moving.
Old 07-21-15, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18560 Post(s)
Liked 15,975 Times in 7,505 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
Would this work?

GH
You'd be the envy of any Iron Man tri.
Old 07-21-15, 11:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i rode in a thunderstorm the other day it was fun.
Old 07-21-15, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This discussion is making me never want to move away from So. Cal.
Old 07-21-15, 01:10 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Just a couple of things I disagree about. I don't believe that the crouch is of any use at all, and I don't believe that holding or sitting on metal makes you more likely to be struck by lighting. Also, I don't believe that there is any credible evidence that someone moving is a more likely target than someone standing still.

Nearby strikes that flow along the ground are among the most common strikes. The danger is current flowing through your body, up one leg and down the other for example. From that perspective it looks like sitting on the bike, with a more conductive alternative path, would be safer than standing or crouching in a ditch.
Old 07-21-15, 01:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most likely the very best technique should be to say goodbye to the bike (because there is certainly steel around it) and obscure in the shrubbery before the tornado goes by. In case your bike wasn't minted, after that keep on.
Old 07-21-15, 02:13 PM

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 183 Posts
There is an award for people who purposely ride in thunderstorms. It is called the Darwin Award.
Old 07-27-15, 08:28 PM

Bikes: '90 Bianchi Grizzly, '91 Look mi70, '99 RM Hammer Race

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I was sitting on my balcony tonight watching the thunderstorm (and watching all the cyclists riding along the bike path in front of my building in said storm) and thought of this thread. Then this popped up on my FB...

Man, 32, in critical condition after being struck by lightning - Montreal - CBC News

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.