Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Converting to inner cabling

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Converting to inner cabling

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-22, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 1,793 Times in 1,005 Posts
If it's a round or rounded tube I would not advice drilling into it. The rounded part is structural, and if you drill a hole there, the metal could start cracking or tearing. If it's a tube with a flat side then it's OK to drill a hole on the flat surface.
As others already pointed out, having a long cable housing is not great for shifting. So running the cable housing all the way from the shifter to the derailleur is not a good idea. But running the brake cable housing through the top tube is routinely done and not a bad idea.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 09-06-22, 01:04 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4854 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,592 Posts
I had a co-worker last millenium with a higher end, Miyata sport bike that he broke repeatedly at the brake cable exit just forward of the seattube. He was 200 pounds and rode it every workday for a 40 mile round trip. (Viet Nam vet with PTSD, issues and no license.) Miyata kept giving him new frames but seemed slow on the learning curve. (This may have been a case of exiting the cable forward of the tubing butt.)

If you run continuous housing, the effect on rear brake performance is the same as running that housing through TT braze-ons like was done for so many thousands of 1980s bikes. Well except the internal route requires sharper bends at entrance and exit. The TT full housing run is my preferred because it moderates the effectiveness of the rear brake relative to the front. (Less power back there, more control in hard stops. Fewer crashes.) Running bare cable completely unseen with bends at each end always seemed to me a very bad idea, especially for a brake. I'll run continuous housing secured with clamps on bikes with stops for bare brake cable runs.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-06-22, 01:30 PM

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 152 Posts
Well I decided to go against everyone's advice and....just kidding. It stays as is. Glad the cables are on top of the tube instead of underneath, that is even more annoying and definitely good reason to route internally.
Old 09-06-22, 08:17 PM
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 548 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Personally, I feel that BF members are going about these threads all wrong (myself included). When asked for advice or direction, BF members typically apply logic and reason as to why something shouldn't be done or even attempted (whatever the dumb thing is, drilling holes in frames, riding bikes with frames that are cracked and/or fixing them with hose clamps, etc). I propose we adopt the stance that if someone comes here with a bad idea, we should overwhelmingly support it for two reasons.
I like where you’re going with this, although I think we should establish a separate /sub for them in Mechanics (I propose naming it “Hold My Beer”)
That way, if they pull a Moisture or TimTak, there’s a layer of insulation from the general knowledge base and their well-meaning but wrongly informed zealotry.

*Actually, I think we handled this thread pretty well; after the opening salvo from the militant curmudgeonry, there was some decent conversation “I wouldn’t do it, but if I was going to; here’s how I would try it”
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 09-07-22, 07:38 AM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Well I'm not sure why all the hostility. .
Because Bike Forums.
Old 09-07-22, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 1,977 Times in 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Well I decided to go against everyone's advice and....just kidding. It stays as is. Glad the cables are on top of the tube instead of underneath, that is even more annoying and definitely good reason to route internally.
Too bad, you fail anyway. Being reasonable on BF is being unreasonable!