Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Proposed guide for newbies - a guide for the perplexed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Proposed guide for newbies - a guide for the perplexed

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 03:52 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'll leave #1 alone, since steering people away from those is much more likely to save them headaches than it is to cost them a good cheap ride.

But, as a general FAQ for newbies it might be best to leave out #10 accessories entirely. Not everyone is going to start out as an enthusiast like us, and each of those accessories may be in some cases necessary, in other cases not useful at all. Like with the bike (and I'd advise 4b a step lower, not higher, for the first bike), ride a while and see what kind of biking you like and then dive into accessories and/or a bike more specific to your individual preferences.
Old 01-02-18, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I'll leave #1 alone, since steering people away from those is much more likely to save them headaches than it is to cost them a good cheap ride.

But, as a general FAQ for newbies it might be best to leave out #10 accessories entirely. Not everyone is going to start out as an enthusiast like us, and each of those accessories may be in some cases necessary, in other cases not useful at all. Like with the bike (and I'd advise 4b a step lower, not higher, for the first bike), ride a while and see what kind of biking you like and then dive into accessories and/or a bike more specific to your individual preferences.
I'm not an enthusiast. I ride my bike because I'm broke. The only things on the original list that aren't relevant for someone who isn't all gung ho about being out in 20 degree weather for the fun of it are the cycling shorts and cycling shoes.

Helmet is needed, hands down. Lights are a needed accessory period, because they are also a big safety factor for rainy days and you never know when you will be unexpectedly stuck somewhere until after dark. A bike lock is needed, if you want to keep your bike. Tools are needed, twice my (already assembled department store) bike needed an emergency fix on the road because something wiggled loose and the bike was unrideable until I tightened what wiggled loose. You need the stuff to fix a flat on the road, because friends can't always come to your rescue in a timely manner. And if someone is riding around because they are broke, listing storage options could be very useful if they have to transport groceries home on a bike. Gloves, well fortunately I've never fallen at speed, but I can imagine how chewed up my hands would get as they would likely make direct contact with the pavement.

I'm including the camera and phone on my list because I've seen the stuff floating around in the A&S forum, like the woman who was sued by the person who hit her for $10k and she says on her website that if she had thought to take pictures things would have turned out very different and much better for her. Everyone knows someone who dropped a phone and the screen shattered, what if that same outcome happens when you fall at speed (no matter the cause)? A non-functional but charged phone which doesn't cost a dime can still dial 911.
Old 01-02-18, 04:20 PM
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
Helmet is needed, hands down.
Hands down would mean gloves are needed.
Old 01-02-18, 04:36 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,636 Posts
Yeah, my bad. The nuts on the tire, not the bolts.
Actually, one of my best hubs has bolts that thread into the axle. (Phil Wood bolted.) A very clean setup and a thief's gotta have a 6MM/9/16" allen key to get anywhere. I converted my standard QR PW hub to this to get the width down so I could pull the wheel out through the very stiff Jann LowRider style rack without either having to make a big effort to spread the racks (and pull the wheel with my third hand) or unscrew the QR without losing the spring.

Ben
Old 01-02-18, 04:52 PM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,174 Times in 2,015 Posts
Avoid Niceholes!
Old 01-02-18, 05:20 PM

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 76 Posts
Bottles and cages? Need to stay hydrated.
GoPro camera or equivalent (such as the SJ Cam SJ5000)to record the accident?(like a black box data recorder).
Spare tube, glueless patches, maybe a co2 tire inflator.
Agree on the towel ,maybe also a small bottle of isopropyl hand sanitizer to go with it, repairs typically dirty one's hands.

(The OP said Water Bottles, my apologies)

Last edited by hotbike; 01-03-18 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-02-18, 05:30 PM

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I agree. Let's not over-complicate it.
Old 01-02-18, 05:33 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'm not an enthusiast. I ride my bike because I'm broke. The only things on the original list that aren't relevant for someone who isn't all gung ho about being out in 20 degree weather for the fun of it are the cycling shorts and cycling shoes.
Fine for you, but for other people, not at all necessary! Not even the lights, if someone rides in the daytime on public paths. And even on the streets, lights aren't as much of a safety feature as many would think. Helmet, let's not get into that

How long have you been commuting, if you don't mind my asking, because I would have sounded a lot like you my first couple of years. The more, the better. Racks, lights, electronics, everything I could think of to carry with me.

But, I realized finally that none of that is actually necessary for someone just getting out and riding. I personally couldn't do without tools - I built my road bike, and the others I ordered off the internet, and do 100% of my maintenance - but I know of other regular commuters who don't even carry a patch. It works for them because they never have flats and don't mind walking a mile or two if they did, or call the wife ... the point being that you and I are not in the same situation as everyone or even most people.

What always happens when we get together and start talking about accessories, is we all pitch in with our favorites and must-haves, myself included, and a newbie starts to think that he really does need that stuff to do it "right", or at least the most important of it (whatever that turns out to be), and the outlay starts to skyrocket. It's a disservice, when all they really need - and I know because I've done it, for some of the years I've commuted - is get on the bike and ride.
Old 01-02-18, 06:04 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4823 Post(s)
Liked 1,557 Times in 1,021 Posts
The only issue I have with the rundown is that somehow a new bike rider is equated with having no money. Would a new jogger, airplane pilot, skydiver, skier, whatever, be assumed to have no money to spend on the activity they want to get involved with?
Old 01-02-18, 06:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been commuting 6 months. Helmet from day one, even though it's not legally required. I knew I'd be commuting at night, bought a pair of legally required lights, and in less than a month on the bike I regretted going for "cheap" instead of "lumens". I still use a backpack but I added a basket because sometimes my backpack is too heavy and I'm now looking at racks that won't require PVC piping in order to place the rear reflector and light. I also have a little bag for the tools and tire kit. Lock, well I like my bike and I'm not sure I could immediately find money for a replacement. Lock definitely a good thing because the only other person at my workplace that commuted by bike did have his bike stolen.

One of the OEM tire tubes had a seal separate and that was my lesson that I needed a spare tube, patch kit, pump, and wrench to take the tires off to swap the tubes. My stem expander bolt loosened so much mid-ride that I lost control of the bike one trip. I had to push it and even that got hard as the handlebars wanted to do whatever. Luckily a local business had the right allen wrench and let me borrow it, but I invested in my own set just in case. And that stupid bolt has loosened a couple more times, proving the allen wrench set was a good idea.

Gloves and eyewear...well, as I said I've never fallen at speed. Since adulthood. I have a nice sizable scar from my young and dumb days where I was riding along an unpaved road, hit a spot that grabbed the tires and I landed on a piece of cinder that gouged my leg. And there's the memory that didn't leave physical scars, I was going down a steep hill and counting on a deep sand patch at the bottom to grab my tires so I could twist for a sharp curve, like I had done dozens of time. But that time it didn't grab the tires, I bounced over a log and went into a bunch of pine trees with low branches, scraped my face and body up beautifully and was lucky to not get impaled. So anything to protect delicate areas, like eyes and fingers, is a really good idea.

Water is really, really good because exercise increases your need for water and people don't drink enough water anyway and dehydration sucks. Having it handy will make you more likely to drink what you need, rather than try and drink the needed amount after you arrive at your destination. Transporting the bike, well right now I'm regretting not having that as I will be trying to squeeze my bike halfway into the trunk of the family car tonight since it got left at work and I don't want to ride home in freezing weather if I can use the car. I wish so much I had a rack for transport as it would make it faster and easier to get it home.

Nearly all this stuff is things that I realized were essential or close to it within the first couple of months of commuting by bike. So yes, this is stuff the typical new person needs to hear about so they don't get stuck somewhere or hurt something vital or not be able to transport something needed.
Old 01-02-18, 06:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The only issue I have with the rundown is that somehow a new bike rider is equated with having no money. Would a new jogger, airplane pilot, skydiver, skier, whatever, be assumed to have no money to spend on the activity they want to get involved with?
I think it's more of being aware that a fair number of new bike riders are motivated by lack of money. Others are motivated by wanting to lose weight. Others are motivated by the fun of it, or wanting to reduce their carbon footprint, or a car is inconvenient for what they regularly do, or they want to join their new squeeze on weekends or whatever.

But then the second part of the equation is how many stick with cycling after a few months. The people who need to use a bike will be very likely to stick with it, compared to, for example, the weight loss crowd. Goodness knows I would not be going home at midnight in 15 degree weather on a bike if I didn't have to. I'd be like many people and put my bike away until spring.

So a beginner's list should take into account people who don't have much money. It also should take into account people who don't even know if they will like being on a bicycle and will go with the cheapest option not realizing the cheapest option will make things a lot less enjoyable and make them more likely to stop permanently.
Old 01-02-18, 07:12 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4823 Post(s)
Liked 1,557 Times in 1,021 Posts
I think it's more of being aware that a fair number of new bike riders are motivated by lack of money. Others are motivated by wanting to lose weight. Others are motivated by the fun of it, or wanting to reduce their carbon footprint, or a car is inconvenient for what they regularly do, or they want to join their new squeeze on weekends or whatever.

But then the second part of the equation is how many stick with cycling after a few months. The people who need to use a bike will be very likely to stick with it, compared to, for example, the weight loss crowd. Goodness knows I would not be going home at midnight in 15 degree weather on a bike if I didn't have to. I'd be like many people and put my bike away until spring.

So a beginner's list should take into account people who don't have much money. It also should take into account people who don't even know if they will like being on a bicycle and will go with the cheapest option not realizing the cheapest option will make things a lot less enjoyable and make them more likely to stop permanently.
All fair points. However, then that disclaimer needs to be made. In a perfect world a beginner's list is then drafted by budgetary brackets. Some of the "easiest" to use componentry is also not the cheapest. Think clipless pedals; think electronic shifting, etc. Re: item #5 (frame material).. it's probably just as easy to find a CF bike with Ultegra componentry cheaper than the same on a steel-framed bike, etc. Actually, a good addition to this guide would be to mention the premium paid for name brands over lesser-considered names (eg. Nashbar, Ribble, Bikesdirect).
Old 01-03-18, 07:16 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts

I am sticking with 4b, but I think it depends on the person. For sure it takes a bit of riding to figure out what sort of riding you think you want to do. My advise was premised on the idea of future proofing your purchase for awhile.

As for accessories, while the shorts and jersey can probably wait, I do think everyone should start out with a helmet, lock, spare tube, tire levers, and pump/or CO2. Even if you roll out of the store not knowing how to fix a flat. Flat tires happen, and if a good Samaritan should come along, you should at least have a spare tube , tire levers, and CO2 or frame pump stowed in a seat bag so such a person can help you.
Old 01-03-18, 07:27 AM

One good source of cheap components and accessories is bike swaps. Often, you can pick up bikes and accessories at deeply discounted prices. At my local bike swap held just last month in my area I picked up a new mini U lock that retails normally at $50 or more for just $12, a jersey that might retail for $70 for $5 (might have been used, but who cares?), new bar tape for just $2, sunglasses for $10, summer cycling gloves for $5, and long fingered mountain biking gloves (perfect for winter commuting in a warm climate or early fall commuting in a colder climate) for $7.
Old 01-03-18, 07:35 AM

I've been commuting 6 months. Helmet from day one, even though it's not legally required. I knew I'd be commuting at night, bought a pair of legally required lights, and in less than a month on the bike I regretted going for "cheap" instead of "lumens". I still use a backpack but I added a basket because sometimes my backpack is too heavy and I'm now looking at racks that won't require PVC piping in order to place the rear reflector and light. I also have a little bag for the tools and tire kit. Lock, well I like my bike and I'm not sure I could immediately find money for a replacement. Lock definitely a good thing because the only other person at my workplace that commuted by bike did have his bike stolen.

One of the OEM tire tubes had a seal separate and that was my lesson that I needed a spare tube, patch kit, pump, and wrench to take the tires off to swap the tubes. My stem expander bolt loosened so much mid-ride that I lost control of the bike one trip. I had to push it and even that got hard as the handlebars wanted to do whatever. Luckily a local business had the right allen wrench and let me borrow it, but I invested in my own set just in case. And that stupid bolt has loosened a couple more times, proving the allen wrench set was a good idea.

Gloves and eyewear...well, as I said I've never fallen at speed. Since adulthood. I have a nice sizable scar from my young and dumb days where I was riding along an unpaved road, hit a spot that grabbed the tires and I landed on a piece of cinder that gouged my leg. And there's the memory that didn't leave physical scars, I was going down a steep hill and counting on a deep sand patch at the bottom to grab my tires so I could twist for a sharp curve, like I had done dozens of time. But that time it didn't grab the tires, I bounced over a log and went into a bunch of pine trees with low branches, scraped my face and body up beautifully and was lucky to not get impaled. So anything to protect delicate areas, like eyes and fingers, is a really good idea.

Water is really, really good because exercise increases your need for water and people don't drink enough water anyway and dehydration sucks. Having it handy will make you more likely to drink what you need, rather than try and drink the needed amount after you arrive at your destination. Transporting the bike, well right now I'm regretting not having that as I will be trying to squeeze my bike halfway into the trunk of the family car tonight since it got left at work and I don't want to ride home in freezing weather if I can use the car. I wish so much I had a rack for transport as it would make it faster and easier to get it home.

Nearly all this stuff is things that I realized were essential or close to it within the first couple of months of commuting by bike. So yes, this is stuff the typical new person needs to hear about so they don't get stuck somewhere or hurt something vital or not be able to transport something needed.
I agree, a basic water bottle cage and water bottle is incredibly useful. And cheap. A basic cage is about $5, and plastic water bottles are ubiquitous and cheap. Shockingly, there are people who don't bring water with them on long rides.

Transporting a bike, or two. Yes, incredibly useful for recreational cyclists and those who use bikes for transportation.
Old 01-03-18, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts

I'd still say a lot of these things are "nice to have" as opposed to essential. For how I mainly use my bike (roughly 1/2 hour commute), the only thing that I really *need* is a set of lights, and even that only applies during the winter months.

A helmet is a really good idea, but many people ride without one. It's only really needed if it is required by law.

Water bottle cages are great (and necessary if you're doing longer rides), but not needed for anything less than an hour.

I rode for at least a couple of months before I bothered to get anything to fix a flat tire. Again, a good idea to save you from a long walk home, but not really needed.

I don't use gloves in the summer, and just wear my regular glasses. In the winter, I've used regular winter gloves and been okay (although this wouldn't work on days like today where it's -10 out).

I don't have racks on my bike.

Ultimately, 90% of kids out riding their bikes right now don't have most of these things, and they survive. While I think a lot of them are good ideas I don't think they are essential.
Old 01-03-18, 09:25 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7740 Post(s)
Liked 3,683 Times in 1,943 Posts
I don't think it hurts to suggest accessories a rider might not need. We assume our target audience is adults or young adults with enough income to buy their own bikes, so we can assume they can make simple choices. Not a Good assumption, in that the world is full of morons, but a Safe assumption, because no one's safety will be impaired. And the dumb folks will always find ways to hurt themselves ... and often video it for the internet.

It is good to point out that swap meets, discount stores, etc. often carry stuff cheap and that shopping for bike accessories at a bike store is like offering the store welfare----bike stores often way overprice that stuff. A new rider going to a shop might get charged $30 for an installed bottle and cage which could be had for $10, and $2 more for the right wrench which would be good to have anyway.

And people have been taping flashlights to handlebars for a long time. Folks will figure things out.

I don't really want to pick at the Walmart scab, but I know people who tottle along on box-store bikes. they don't ride hard, and the bikes hold up. yes, I could get a better bike used for the same money ... but not really. I could get a used bike, after much searching and probably a healthy drive (not an option for people who Need a bike, often) which after minimal investment could be an excellent bike.

But how many people who Need a bike for transport have no tools, no wrenching experience, wouldn't have the slightest idea what was wrong or how to fix it even if it was really simple for someone like one of us ... ? Someone who had never owned or ridden a bike isn't going to replace brake shoes---he or she might not even know where the brakes are, let alone how to adjust them, forget how to modify them.

When we think of buying a bike, we rarely try to assume the mindset of someone to who bikes are a complicated cosmic mystery. Telling someone who has literally never heard the words 'headset" or "bottom bracket" to shop for a used bike is a crapshoot---they could spend less for more, or buy complete garbage. How would they know?

A person who can afford to spend about $500 can get a new basic bike and full kit. I know there have been times in my life when I could Not spend nearly that much---and not going to work was not an easy path to solving Any problems.

Luckily, I was equipped to pick up discarded bikes and make them work---grab three bikes being tossed, build one that kind of works, find four more, build one more ... but that only works in an urban environment (and often, in places where it works, there are bus lines anyway.)

Where I live now, the used market for a person on foot is basically nonexistent.

However, it is tough to explain all that in a document designed not to scare off begginer riders.
Old 01-03-18, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know what the bible says about assuming right? I think the typical newbie to this site is probably more of a hobbyist versus someone who has no money for other transportation. Those two categories would really need different lists.
Old 01-03-18, 09:54 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7740 Post(s)
Liked 3,683 Times in 1,943 Posts
Originally Posted by northtexasbiker
You know what the bible says about assuming right?
Not sure which bible you are referencing ... but ummmm .....
I think the typical newbie to this site is probably more of a hobbyist versus someone who has no money for other transportation
is a massive assumption. Just saying. (And in point of fact post #28 begins
I'm not an enthusiast. I ride my bike because I'm broke.
Those two categories would really need different lists.
Yes .... but the point of a general beginner list is that that it applies generally to beginners.

This is why I was uneasy about opening that wound. it is already infected and leaks pus everywhere .....

I guess the page needs some sort of disclaimer at the top, that it applies primarily to people who are investigating cycling for recreation, health or transportation and have a budget of at least $300 for a new bike, or a used bike, tools, and replacement parts.

Anyway .... nits are actually the eggs of lice. I assume "picking a nit" means pulling it off a hair shaft .... but as far as I know, people used very fine combs for that. (This is an illustration of compulsive nit-picking. Let's not repeat it in the "New Cyclists' Manifesto.")

Old 01-03-18, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course it's an assumption that's the point. You are going to have to make some asses out of u and me if you are going to streamline a newbie guide. But all means continue on making a guide that includes everything about every type of riding possible. That should alleviate some confusion among the perplexed the OP was referring to.
Old 01-03-18, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by OBoile
I'd still say a lot of these things are "nice to have" as opposed to essential. For how I mainly use my bike (roughly 1/2 hour commute), the only thing that I really *need* is a set of lights, and even that only applies during the winter months.

A helmet is a really good idea, but many people ride without one. It's only really needed if it is required by law.

Water bottle cages are great (and necessary if you're doing longer rides), but not needed for anything less than an hour.

I rode for at least a couple of months before I bothered to get anything to fix a flat tire. Again, a good idea to save you from a long walk home, but not really needed.

I don't use gloves in the summer, and just wear my regular glasses. In the winter, I've used regular winter gloves and been okay (although this wouldn't work on days like today where it's -10 out).

I don't have racks on my bike.

Ultimately, 90% of kids out riding their bikes right now don't have most of these things, and they survive. While I think a lot of them are good ideas I don't think they are essential.
True. When I was a kid, I rode without most of these things. I rode in jeans, never brought water, or even a flat repair kit. When I got a flat, I walked over to the bike shop with the wheel or the bike and had them replace the tube. And I pumped my tires up at the gas station. But though I rode frequently, I never rode very far. I can count on my fingers the number of times I rode more than 10 miles when I was a kid. These days, it is a rare bike ride I don't do at least 20. And I like to ride for at least an hour, usually more than 2, and in season, often 3 or 4 hours. And when you are 10 or 20 miles from home, it is more important to be comfortable, to have water, and to be able to repair a flat than when you are 1 or 2 miles from home.

Last edited by MRT2; 01-03-18 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-03-18, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I don't think it hurts to suggest accessories a rider might not need. We assume our target audience is adults or young adults with enough income to buy their own bikes, so we can assume they can make simple choices. Not a Good assumption, in that the world is full of morons, but a Safe assumption, because no one's safety will be impaired. And the dumb folks will always find ways to hurt themselves ... and often video it for the internet.

It is good to point out that swap meets, discount stores, etc. often carry stuff cheap and that shopping for bike accessories at a bike store is like offering the store welfare----bike stores often way overprice that stuff. A new rider going to a shop might get charged $30 for an installed bottle and cage which could be had for $10, and $2 more for the right wrench which would be good to have anyway.

And people have been taping flashlights to handlebars for a long time. Folks will figure things out.

I don't really want to pick at the Walmart scab, but I know people who tottle along on box-store bikes. they don't ride hard, and the bikes hold up. yes, I could get a better bike used for the same money ... but not really. I could get a used bike, after much searching and probably a healthy drive (not an option for people who Need a bike, often) which after minimal investment could be an excellent bike.

But how many people who Need a bike for transport have no tools, no wrenching experience, wouldn't have the slightest idea what was wrong or how to fix it even if it was really simple for someone like one of us ... ? Someone who had never owned or ridden a bike isn't going to replace brake shoes---he or she might not even know where the brakes are, let alone how to adjust them, forget how to modify them.

When we think of buying a bike, we rarely try to assume the mindset of someone to who bikes are a complicated cosmic mystery. Telling someone who has literally never heard the words 'headset" or "bottom bracket" to shop for a used bike is a crapshoot---they could spend less for more, or buy complete garbage. How would they know?

A person who can afford to spend about $500 can get a new basic bike and full kit. I know there have been times in my life when I could Not spend nearly that much---and not going to work was not an easy path to solving Any problems.

Luckily, I was equipped to pick up discarded bikes and make them work---grab three bikes being tossed, build one that kind of works, find four more, build one more ... but that only works in an urban environment (and often, in places where it works, there are bus lines anyway.)

Where I live now, the used market for a person on foot is basically nonexistent.

However, it is tough to explain all that in a document designed not to scare off begginer riders.
Yes, they do. Everybody is different. There are well heeled suburban recreational cyclists who truly don't have the time to do a lot of research or alternately, spend their weekends at grungy swap meets. And for those people, the large bike shop offers true one stop shopping, at a price. And as silly as it sounds, there are folks who are intimidated by the prospect of installing a bottle cage, or bike computer, or saddle, or tire. (even people who have been cycling a really long time. I know a guy who is over 70 who told me how he and another older fellow were riding and his friend got a flat, and neither of them knew how to fix it. After wasting a CO2, the guy had to call his wife to come get him) For these folks, the full service bike shop is probably the way to go.

On the other hand, there are people who enjoy doing research, and who like digging through bins of stuff at swap meets to get a better deal.
Old 01-03-18, 01:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course it's an assumption that's the point. You are going to have to make some asses out of u and me if you are going to streamline a newbie guide. But all means continue on making a guide that includes everything about every type of riding possible. That should alleviate some confusion among the perplexed the OP was referring to.
What is so hard about having a single guide for getting people started? Is recreational cycling such a mystical thing that the very basics are so completely different than other reasons for getting a bike? Is there a requirement to anoint a recreation cyclist's first bike with the milk from a virgin elf and near beer from a dwarf brewery?

Or is it completely doable to have suggestions for getting the best deal with whatever your beginning budget is, a list of accessories and their level of importance, a simple explanation of what each type of bike is and what conditions it is best suited for (I still don't know what half the bikes people talk about are), an explanation of frame materials (I still don't know what carbon fiber is) and what their strengths and weaknesses are, why saddles are counter-intuitive when it comes to comfort, a routine maintenance schedule, safety tips that may seem obvious but aren't for someone first leaving the driveway, a reminder to learn the state and local laws, and a few suggestions as to where you can learn basic troubleshooting and repair (so you don't mistake the front of the tire to be the part facing forward and toe your brakes in wrong).
Old 01-03-18, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
True. When I was a kid, I rode without most of these things. I rode in jeans, never brought water, or even a flat repair kit. When I got a flat, I walked over to the bike shop with the wheel or the bike and had them replace the tube. And I pumped my tires up at the gas station. But though I rode frequently, I never rode very far. I can count on my fingers the number of times I rode more than 10 miles when I was a kid. These days, it is a rare bike ride I don't do at least 20. And I like to ride for at least an hour, usually more than 2, and in season, often 3 or 4 hours. And when you are 10 or 20 miles from home, it is more important to be comfortable, to have water, and to be able to repair a flat than when you are 1 or 2 miles from home.
Definitely many of these things are nice to have. Or, perhaps it's better to say they are important to have. But they aren't really 100% necessary. You could, for instance plan on having someone pick you up if you get a flat, or plan a route that involves a loop that doesn't stray too far from your place, or just risk it since the odds of you getting a flat on any given day are fairly low (this was certainly my strategy as a kid... I even did a couple MTB races without any way to change a tire).

As for water, I purchased a bottle immediately. But most new riders aren't going out for several hours at a time. If they are, they could always plan a quick pit-stop at home to chug a glass or two. Not ideal by any means, and certainly not optimal but doable.

To be clear, I'd put most/all of these things as highly recommended, but if you were to get them a month or two after you got your bike, you'd probably be fine.

Last edited by OBoile; 01-03-18 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-03-18, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by OBoile
Definitely many of these things are nice to have. Or, perhaps it's better to say they are important to have. But they aren't really 100% necessary. You could, for instance plan on having someone pick you up if you get a flat, or plan a route that involves a loop that doesn't stray too far from your place, or just risk it since the odds of you getting a flat on any given day are fairly low.

As for water, I purchased a bottle immediately. But most new riders aren't going out for several hours at a time. If they are, they could always plan a quick pit-stop at home to chug a glass or two. Not ideal by any means, and certainly not optimal but doable.
In starting this thread, i hoped to answer the questions most often asked by newbies here like how much should i spend, what should I get, and where should I shop? As pertains accessories, people do ask, what do I need? You could say nothing, but I think if someone asks, I stand by my breakdown of things to get right away, then things to get next, and finally, things that would be nice to have. And I stand by what I said. A helmet for safety because why not? And, FWIW, the person most likely to fall over riding is someone new to cycling. A lock if you plan to leave your bike unattended for even a short time. A pump to inflate tires. And a spare tube and tire levers to repair a flat. Flat tires are a random occurence. You can go a year or two without having one, then get flats on two consecutive days. So best to be prepared from day one, IMO. Yes, it is a good idea to have a backup plan, but I would save the emergency backup for something less obvious than a flat tire. And as I mentioned earlier, quite often there are good Samaritans out on the bike path or road willing and able to assist a rider with a flat. But they can't help you if you don't even have a spare tube or patch kit.

I will finish with this. I bought a spare tube, patch kit, tire levers and frame pump when I bought my bike 20 years ago. But my flat repair skills were shaky at best and only got better about 6 years ago. I feel much better about riding longer than I did back then.

Last edited by MRT2; 01-03-18 at 02:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.