Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Going for 40 mph

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Going for 40 mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-06, 08:28 PM
Lean, neat and eat meat!!

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport and an old Sears beach cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back when I was in 11th grade in '99, I hit 65mph on Mariposa Road, which runs parallel to the I-15 for some distance.
Most of the time, my flatland, no-wind, loaded best is 30-35mph.
I could also guess this speed was attributed to the freakishly high wind speeds we get out here.
I recall there being one of those infamous low-pressure systems over all of Southern California for a whole week!!
The wind must've been gusting up to 40-45mph.
Old 06-12-06, 03:29 PM
This town needs an enema.

Bikes: Bridgestone 400

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there is a really steep road coming off of Signal Hill in Long Beach (I think it is aptly named Hill Street). I have always wanted to take my bike down it but it is seriously steep and there is an intersection at the bottom.
Old 06-12-06, 05:03 PM
*****es love tarck

Bikes: so many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you think bombing big hills on a bike is fun/scary, try it on a skateboard. You'll find God on an 8% grade.
Old 06-12-06, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CigTech
I have made it to 48mph in Dallas. and got a ticket from a cop at the bottom of the hill. It was in a 35 mph area. They though it out at court because he said that a bike could not do thoese speed. If he only know, I would have had to pay $285.00 fine at that time.
Haha! I would have been a little insulted if a judge said that, but at the same time I wouldn't want a ticket.

Best I've ever done was 44 on my mountain bike, but that was years ago and I'm not quite that brave now.
Old 06-13-06, 11:29 AM
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: Cannondale t-700 [commuter], Cannondale MT-800 [Tandem so the Lil Misses can keep up], GT I drive Team [My tricked out Racer MTB]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The house is on a big hill, and work is on a big hill. [Come to think of it everything in Colorado is on a freakin' hill, or actually a mountain.]

Anyways when I leave the house I get an easy 35mph every morning down that hill. The hill leaving work is more fun. If I wind out the new 52 ring then tuck and coast, 45mph is common with no headwind. It's a 4 lane curvy divided road... with a speed limit of 35. Passing cars at speed is fun, and maybe a bit [a lot] crazy. 49 is my max coming down one of the hills that I've been training on. It starts getting scary at that speed.
Old 06-13-06, 11:17 PM
Yet another vegan biker

Bikes: Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a great Mississippi River bluff road to blast down, and often have hit in the mid 40's on my road bikes.

I've never had any troubles, the road is smooth and there is only a private drive intersecting the blacktop. Last week, however, I took my old Raleigh Grand Prix down the hill and developed a severe wobble. I can't tell how fast I was going because I didn't have a comp mounted and I was too busy trying to hang on, but I know I wasn't much over thirty when the instability struck.

I don't know what caused the wheel wobble. The wheel is true and the frame is straight. I do know that the fork seems a mite flexy.

Scary.

Last edited by silversmith; 06-14-06 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-14-06, 12:11 AM
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MyPC8MyBrain
The house is on a big hill, and work is on a big hill. [Come to think of it everything in Colorado is on a freakin' hill, or actually a mountain.]

Anyways when I leave the house I get an easy 35mph every morning down that hill. The hill leaving work is more fun. If I wind out the new 52 ring then tuck and coast, 45mph is common with no headwind. It's a 4 lane curvy divided road... with a speed limit of 35. Passing cars at speed is fun, and maybe a bit [a lot] crazy. 49 is my max coming down one of the hills that I've been training on. It starts getting scary at that speed.
Yeah... there's a few inclines around. My biggest incline on my commute is coming around Invesco field on the sidewalk... just coasting I hit 27 MPH. Kinda sad that the biggest hill I've ridden in quite a while is on a sidewalk!

I grew up in the mountains in Arizona.... I remember flying past cars on 40 mph stretches... even had the police flash their lights and sirens at me a couple times! Being a small town, everyone knew everybody... One of the cops swung by my house one time and complained at my parents! They just laughed and said "Yeah... he's gonna kill himself on that thing one of these days!"
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 06-14-06, 02:42 PM
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brunop
what gear are you rockin' where ya can only go 24? i do that on the flats in traffic!
No kidding. I seem to recall hitting 36mph on my 48x15 Raleigh.
Old 06-15-06, 03:20 AM
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I put on the 52 front chain ring and tried the hill a couple more times. I "only" hit 37 and 38. It really must be the engine!

So last night, I switched back to the 48 because that's better for the trip home. It's a slight up hill most of he way home, so the 52 just was not practical.

Little bursts of high speed sure can make a commute fun, can't they?
Old 06-15-06, 07:24 AM
Drumming Bicyclist

Bikes: Redline 925

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i hit 35mph the other day on my single speed Redline 925, but that was going down a hill and pedaling as fast as i could -- one might say "like a bat out of hades."
i max'd the bike out with the gearing it has... no way i could exceed 35mph unless the hill was way more steep with no stop sign at the bottom.
Old 06-15-06, 08:23 PM

Bikes: 2006 Gary Fisher Opie, 1980's Fuji Grand SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daily Commute
There's this stretch of road on my fast way to work that I'm trying to hit 40 mph on. For those of you who know Columbus, it's the 3rd St. Bridge over I-670 going into downtown. It's technically 35 mph, but cars go much faster. It's generally too heavy with quick-lane-changing freeway-like traffic after 6:30 on weekdays (it feeds I-670 traffic into downtown). A few years ago, they took down the "No Bicycles" sign when they were doing construction and never bothered to put it back up.

The last part of the bridge is a big hill (by Columbus standards) into downtown. The pavement is perfect. The problem is that there's a light right at the bottom. The last couple of times I've gone through, I've pulled over and waited so that I knew the light would be green at the bottom.

Yesterday, I hit 38 mph. Today, I only made it to 36 mph, but I had to pull into lane that's second from the right to pass a line of cars waiting to turn right. Both days, I had one pannier on my Surly Cross Check.

I'm going in to work tomorrow. I'll put a trunk pack on instead of a pannier to see if I can eek out those last 2 mph.

I may have to work on a Saturday, but at least I'll get my commute in.
This post broke my B.S. detector, the poor thing is still smoking after reading this story. 40mph going down a steep hill maybe.
Old 06-16-06, 12:03 AM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
i think it IS down a hill. lets get some reading 101 in here, see if there's a hill mentioned somewhere in the original post. and waiting at the top of a hill to get the light signals to time right (love that touch, been there, done that)
Old 06-16-06, 12:32 AM
Lost in Los Angeles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't have computers on my bikes until recently and I don't hit over 34 very often but I was supposedly clocked at 42 in a 25 on my roadie on my commuteby some cops a month or so ago. Almost got a ticket for it but I think they realized how hard it would be to make it stick. With the MTB I usually ride to work I top at at about 25-28 on my commute which I need to work on. I think I may put a new wheelset and skinny tires on it in the next week or so and see if it's really worth it.
Old 06-16-06, 02:09 AM
Ride the Road

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Urban Shooter
This post broke my B.S. detector, the poor thing is still smoking after reading this story. 40mph going down a steep hill maybe.
Originally Posted by Bekologist
i think it IS down a hill. lets get some reading 101 in here, see if there's a hill mentioned somewhere in the original post. and waiting at the top of a hill to get the light signals to time right (love that touch, been there, done that)
Thanks, Bek. Based on the other posts, I am far from the first cycist to have hit 40 mph. And a lot of cyclists have found ways to go even faster (drafting, better gear ratios, lighter bikes, better engines, etc.).

On another note, when I had 700x28 tires, I couldn't hit 40 on even steeper hills. The 32's make the bike a lot more stable at higher speeds.
Old 06-16-06, 08:10 AM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

I agree with Daily Commute - wider tires are definetly more stable at speed. I ride 37c slicks most of the time.
Old 06-16-06, 08:18 AM
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
I agree with Daily Commute - wider tires are definetly more stable at speed. I ride 37c slicks most of the time.
I don't mean to contradict you, but I ride on 23s, and I regularly hit low 40s (and occasionally high 40s) without noticing any instability. I do tend to stick to pretty clean roads when I do that though. Perhaps some assorted pebbles would change my mind.
Old 06-16-06, 08:22 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'll have to find a way to shoot video of a descent from the top of Mt. Spokane to the base, you guys would eat it up Twisty, with hairpins, peak grades of over 20%, average grade I believe is about 12%, and the road's posted for 20mph. In my younger more-reckless days, I would typically average 35mph from top to bottom, and that includes hairpins, so you can imagine...

My old Schwinn Voyageur was great for that. Springy frame and fork, excellent braking power for dropping from 45 to 15 for the hairpins, bar-end shifters, and big sticky Michelin Hi-Lite Tour tires. Now if I could just its engine and ROM chip back, and install them on my Cannondale...
Old 06-16-06, 08:44 AM

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I achieved 46 last year drafting a bus. Often I can go faster tucked then pedaling. In the case of the bus I had a 46 11 and really could not pedal that gear to that speed. My record is comming down Forbes Ave into Oakland where I got 50 with a 52 - 12 at around 150 rpm. The hill is about 5-6% grade that runs about 3/10s of a mile with a stop light at the bottom.
Old 06-16-06, 09:22 AM
totally louche

...more rubber on the road means better grip, lets you counter rugositys better, and less deflection because of the greater volume too, plus blah blah.....wider tires are more stable.
Old 06-16-06, 01:57 PM
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bentstrider
Back when I was in 11th grade in '99, I hit 65mph on Mariposa Road, which runs parallel to the I-15 for some distance.
Most of the time, my flatland, no-wind, loaded best is 30-35mph.
I could also guess this speed was attributed to the freakishly high wind speeds we get out here.
I recall there being one of those infamous low-pressure systems over all of Southern California for a whole week!!
The wind must've been gusting up to 40-45mph.
Wow! How about some details about how you did the 30-35mph on the flats. Special wheels? What gears work and what's your cadence.
Old 06-16-06, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by vrkelley
Wow! How about some details about how you did the 30-35mph on the flats. Special wheels? What gears work and what's your cadence.
Just a few weeks ago I hit 32.8 on a flat stretch on my Bianchi. My large chainring is 52 and I'm not sure about the rear. I had it in the 2nd smallest cog and I only have 6. Of course there wasn't an ounce of wind anywhere so that helped! My brother has gone 34 in the same place.
Old 06-16-06, 06:49 PM
Ride the Road

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by recursive
I don't mean to contradict you, but I ride on 23s, and I regularly hit low 40s (and occasionally high 40s) without noticing any instability. I do tend to stick to pretty clean roads when I do that though. Perhaps some assorted pebbles would change my mind.
I can only speak from my experience on this, but I guess we're both riding what works best for us. Enjoy your ride!
Old 06-19-06, 09:23 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Hit 35.8mph on the fixed gear (159rpm) on a downhill. Not doing that (downhill) again, almost lost leg control. Much more comfortable to go for fixed speed on flats or gradual uphill.

Al
Old 06-19-06, 09:43 AM

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you get a speeding ticket, be sure to frame it as a badge of honor.
Old 06-19-06, 09:49 AM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All my speed records happen when my computer has died. Really sucks to not know how fast I'm going down long hills.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.