Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What kind of bearings did early bikes have? Early bearing/chain lube?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What kind of bearings did early bikes have? Early bearing/chain lube?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-23, 07:37 PM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 2,349 Times in 1,134 Posts
The problem with A Tale of Two Cities is the beginning of it. After I got through the first chapter or so it was better than Great Expectations in my opinion. From what I've read, Dickens was a drunkard and I think the early part of A Tale of Two Cities was either during a bender or between two of them.

Old 02-17-23, 08:29 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 3,061 Times in 1,849 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
While the potential for extreme friction under poor lubrication was an annoyance on early bicycles, it was an especially big problem for trains. Trains took much longer than bicycles to transition away from plain bearings due to their extreme loads, but these same extreme loads meant that the worst-case scenarios for plain bearings were extremely bad.
Plain bearings are often misnamed “friction bearings.” I’m quite familiar with them as the vintage steam locomotive I work on has them. Brass bearings sitting on steel axles, with 40 or 50 tons on top of that. The only thing between the brass and axle is a layer of oil maybe a few molecules thick.
Old 02-17-23, 09:53 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5954 Post(s)
Liked 2,860 Times in 1,594 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Plain bearings are often misnamed “friction bearings.” I’m quite familiar with them as the vintage steam locomotive I work on has them. Brass bearings sitting on steel axles, with 40 or 50 tons on top of that. The only thing between the brass and axle is a layer of oil maybe a few molecules thick.
I'm old enough to know that ball and roller bearings big enough for rail cars only came along fairly recently.

Until then axle bearings were kept oiled by oil weeping oil of oil soaked cotton. It was a job to walk the length of a train and pour oil into the "hotbox" to keep things working.

Hotbox related axle seizure and derailment were all to common.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-18-23, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
We had an Alimak representative who loved some type of veggie based spray lubricant. I don’t remember the brand, only that it smelled really good and turned gummy and fouled quickly. Much sooner than the generic chain lube with mollyb.
Some vegetable oils do seem to go gummy quite quickly but so did 3-in-one oil (the original variety) and that was good enough for many people for a long time.
Old 02-18-23, 08:58 AM

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Hotbox related axle seizure and derailment were all to common.
A "hotbox" (axle bearing failure) may have been involved in the recent massive train derailment in Ohio. One of a car's trucks was recorded on fire shortly before the wreck.

Last edited by sweeks; 02-18-23 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-18-23, 09:28 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,092 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
But, man, Melville is in love with his words!
Les Misérables, The Count of Monte Cristo...Last of the Mohicans!

Mark Twain on James Fenimore Cooper:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3172/3172-h/3172-h.htm

I don't think 19th-century folks were in a particular hurry to finish a novel. They didn't have the entertainment options we do here in the 21st. That, plus many 19th-century novels were serialized and the author was paid by the word.

3inOne was a chain oil. Any gummy part was supposed to be cleaned off by the next application. When cycling went bust in America in the early 20th century, 3inOne remarketed itself as an all-purpose lubricant.

Old 02-18-23, 09:28 AM
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 252 Posts
I'm not sure that low friction bearings were used in all hubs in early bicycles. There's a book (if i can remember or find it I'll report back) by a really interesting guy who became a machinist in the late 1800s/early 1900s. He wrote a book about 40 years in a machine shop. Early in his career he was in a bike race and the front wheel seized up, throwing him over the bars. IIRC that was a bronze bushing bearing.
Old 02-18-23, 09:34 AM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Not that it pertains specifically to the subject at hand, but reading through reminded me about something. When we were little riding around the farm, our paw paw used to always keep the used motor oil out of his truck in a large can which was used to refill one of the metal "squirt trigger" spout cans. If there was anything rusty, squeaking, seized, needing lubricated it was getting the old drained oil. And quite generously.
Old 02-18-23, 09:40 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,092 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I'm not sure that low friction bearings were used in all hubs in early bicycles. There's a book (if i can remember or find it I'll report back) by a really interesting guy who became a machinist in the late 1800s/early 1900s. He wrote a book about 40 years in a machine shop. Early in his career he was in a bike race and the front wheel seized up, throwing him over the bars. IIRC that was a bronze bushing bearing.

Some children's cycles - and even some pedals on adult bikes - use plain bearings to this day.
Old 02-18-23, 09:44 AM
Generally bewildered

Brass may be correct but I suspect that the bearings were babbit metal or bronze. Brass can be a good bearing metal with steel but it's more prone to corrosion (brass contains zinc, bronze contains tin) and it's not as strong as bronze. Babbit bearings were cast against the axle, post machined (adding oil grooves and holes) and then reinstalled. After they wore out, they were removed and new bearings could be cast into the loco frame. Babbit bearings can take enormous loads and if lubricated properly are very durable. They can be astoundly precise as well: early lathes, including jeweler's lathes, used babbit metal plain bearings.
Old 02-18-23, 10:11 AM

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
They generally used plain bearings, just like nearly all wheels had through all of history up to that point. "Plain" means that there are no rolling elements such as balls or rollers: as the shaft or wheel spun, it simply rubs against the opposing element.

This wasn't because folks were ignorant: engineers at the time were entirely aware of rolling-element bearings, and had been since ancient times. But rolling-element bearings require that those rolling elements be made in substantial numbers to very precise and consistent size and shape. And this made them very expensive to make until well into the industrial revolution.
Furthermore, rolling-element bearings have to resist their loads on very narrow point (in the case of ball) or line (in the case of roller) areas of contact. This means that the bearings need to have very high strength and hardness, or they need to be very large. Ideally, they should also have at least some corrosion resistance. In the year 2023 where we can buy oodles of nearly-perfectly-made balls of 52100 Chrome Steel for pennies, this might not sound like a big deal, but once again: two hundred years ago, it's going to be adding meaningful cost to the assembly.

Plain bearings are an elegant way to achieve good tolerance to high loads, which works even when your materials and manufacturing aren't totally up to snuff. They big drawback is, unsurprisingly, that they suffer from very high friction, particularly when they're not perfectly clean and well-lubricated.
While the potential for extreme friction under poor lubrication was an annoyance on early bicycles, it was an especially big problem for trains. Trains took much longer than bicycles to transition away from plain bearings due to their extreme loads, but these same extreme loads meant that the worst-case scenarios for plain bearings were extremely bad. The railroad operators needed to be very diligent in maintaining oil-soaked material within the boxes that housed the wheel axles; if a bearing ran dry under high load, it could overheat catastrophically (a "hot box" failure) and potentially cause a deadly derailment. Railroad workers were expected to watch trains as they went by, to keep an eye out for any wheels that were smoking or on fire.

By the beginning of the 20th century, bicycles had largely transitioned to ball bearings for their hubs.

Speaking of doing a rollby..I'm getting ready to look for hot boxes as the train departs
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 02-18-23, 10:39 AM

Brass may be correct but I suspect that the bearings were babbit metal or bronze.
Probably. It’s just a shorthand reference. The bearings are called “crown brasses.” I suppose as long as the bearing material is softer than the axle steel…
Old 02-21-23, 06:51 AM
Generally bewildered

Probably. It’s just a shorthand reference. The bearings are called “crown brasses.” I suppose as long as the bearing material is softer than the axle steel…
They could be brass after all: just most of my sources stated Babbit. Babbit can be recast in place, and also can absorb impurities.

A lot of heavy duty lathes and other machine tools were made with Babbit back in the day. Super rigid.
Old 02-21-23, 09:08 PM

They could be brass after all: just most of my sources stated Babbit. Babbit can be recast in place, and also can absorb impurities.

A lot of heavy duty lathes and other machine tools were made with Babbit back in the day. Super rigid.
my experience with babbit is like it’s a soft metal like tin. I’ve seen this poured into worn brasses.
Old 02-23-23, 12:15 PM
Generally bewildered

my experience with babbit is like it’s a soft metal like tin. I’ve seen this poured into worn brasses.
Yup.

Here's a video about how these were made (a modern babbit pour in an old machine):
Likes For WizardOfBoz: