Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket creaking

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bottom Bracket creaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 06:00 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzguitar
It could very likely not be coming from your BB at all. Check and/or lube your qr or thruaxles, cassette lockring, chainring bolts, or crank spindle adapters if you’re running Shimano cranks. I’ve found all of the above to make noise that masquerades as bb creak.
Not to mention, cleats, saddle, and handlebar/stem interface. Probably other possibilities as well.
Old 07-22-19, 02:29 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
What are people's thoughts on addressing this issue? My bicycle is fairly new. I've only put ~500 miles on it and it's already begun to creak. It's a 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, which means it's using an "OSBB" aka BB30. Is this common for the bearings to make noise this early? BBinfinite and Hambini seem to have a permanent solution. BBinfinite claim their ceramic bearings won't wear prematurely, like other standard ceramic bearings. Thoughts?

I only use the bike for casual, fitness riding. I'll likely go with the standard ABEC 7 steel bearings since I prioritize reliability over wattage savings.
Have a mechanic determine that it is not actually coming from your headset.
Old 07-22-19, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Not to mention, cleats, saddle, and handlebar/stem interface. Probably other possibilities as well.
Who knew so much creaking can come from so many places

I took the bike to the lbs. I decided to address the issue head-on using money. I installed a Praxisworks BB. Here's to hoping it solved the problem [permanently].
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 07-23-19, 08:48 AM
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I got around 7,000 miles out of my PF30 BB, an amount which every single mechanic at the LBS remarked as being "almost unheard of."
Somehow I'm still on the original BB bearings for my Madone, the bike has at least 30,000 miles on it but I've pulled the crank a few times to check them and they're definitely a little rough these days and there is a small amount of play and some creaking, it's just one of those things where I don't want to be without my bike for more than a day so I never take it in. May finally have to do that soon.
Old 07-23-19, 10:15 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I don't think it's so much the bearings as it is the infinite wisdom some frame mfrs. in choosing to insert said bearings into plastic cups, which are in turn pressed into the frame, retained only by tension and high hopes. The bearings outlast the cups. That's what happened with mine-- the bearings still felt smooth, but I pushed the NDS cup out with my fingers.
Old 07-23-19, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I don't think it's so much the bearings as it is the infinite wisdom some frame mfrs. in choosing to insert said bearings into plastic cups, which are in turn pressed into the frame, retained only by tension and high hopes. The bearings outlast the cups. That's what happened with mine-- the bearings still felt smooth, but I pushed the NDS cup out with my fingers.
According to my lbs. The bearings were perfectly fine. It's likely the intetface with the outer race and the frame.
Old 07-23-19, 12:36 PM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
due to my crappy pedal stroke. Now I have managed to learn to pedal properly, in circles keeping an even amt of force on the bearing throughout the stroke. No squeaking anymore.
It's a good thing you were not using bikes that didn't have squeaky bottom brackets or you would not have gotten better at your pedal strokes
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 07-23-19, 01:36 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3800 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,933 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Who knew so much creaking can come from so many places

I took the bike to the lbs. I decided to address the issue head-on using money. I installed a Praxisworks BB. Here's to hoping it solved the problem [permanently].
That's about all you can do, hopefully it will be enough!
Old 07-25-19, 10:54 PM

Finally took the bike out for a spin: creak completely gone...for now
Old 07-27-19, 08:49 AM

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I had this issue once on a BB30 CrankSet