Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Worst Mechanical Failure you've had on a ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Worst Mechanical Failure you've had on a ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 2,240 Times in 1,503 Posts
Three. Broken skewer. Snapped sestpost. Chain got caught in rear derailleur and snapped hanger off.

Had to call wife to pick me up on the first two.
Old 05-04-15, 09:47 PM

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 219 Posts
I snapped a cleat standing to sprint at the crest of a hill.

I snapped a quill stem hauling on some pursuit bars on my road bike. I had 26mm mavic bars in a cinelli 26.4 stem with no shim... The fall wasn't too bad. I deserved it.

Snapped a bottle cage with my extreme drinking action.

The scariest was having my rear tire blow out descending a mountain ski road in summer. It was just below a hand glider launch site. BANG at 80km/h and somehow I didn't crash (would have been terrible) or ride off the cliff (I very nearly did ride off the cliff and I didn't have a squirrel suit on me).

My campy 8 shifter cables seem to go fairly often.

I just carry a 4mm allen key so if a cable does break, I can pick a gear and clamp the cable behind the front bottle cage.

It's pretty easy to cruise along, reach down, undo a bolt, pull the cable, and then clamp it again.
Old 05-04-15, 10:10 PM

Bikes: Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5 Berk on order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mechanic didnt torque the clamping bolt on my THM cranks. Crank arm came off stripping the spindle. Luckly i wasnt out of saddle. They had to order a tap to rethread it.
Old 05-04-15, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The only parts that have never broken on my bikes are the stem, handlebars, skewers, bottom bracket axle (although my son did break one of these), and fork. The only time I was jammed up by a part failure was when the headset of a tandem failed somewhere between Jasper and Kamloops on the Yellowhead hwy while on a month-long tour. It's damned near impossible to ride a tandem without a functioning headset. Fortunately, we met a lawyer who was part of a travelling court room show. He gave us a ride into Kamloops in his van, took us sight-seeing, put us up in his house and directed us to a fantastic bike shop that put a much better headset in.
Old 05-05-15, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,096 Times in 7,558 Posts
The outside plate of my speed link somehow broke off. I noticed it a few miles from a LOCAL BIKE SHOP I patronize. The LOCAL BIKE SHOP replaced it on the spot. Five bucks for the part and no charge for the labor.
Old 05-05-15, 05:07 AM
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Does spontaneous explosive diarrhea count as a mechanical failure?

It should, cuz it's worse than any of these other posts.
Old 05-05-15, 06:05 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My chain skipped behind the cassette. It was so stuck I had to take it to my shop and pull the cassette to get it out. That one was ride ending.
another time I ran over something that cut my tire right to the bead.Had to use a makeshift boot with an empty Gu pack and could only inflate to about 70 psi without the new tube starting to push the boot out. It was a fun last 6 miles
Old 05-05-15, 06:06 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 629 Posts
Left crank arm fell off.

Old 05-05-15, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
My worst mechanical happened to me on Sunday just there. I was plodding along alone in hellish weather when suddenly I had no drive through pedals as my freehub (Shimano 105) just span around in both directions. I carry 2 spare tubes, CO2, tire boots and chain links, but I had nothing with me to deal with this. I was about 12 miles from home and as I contemplated who to phone on the call of shame, a small public transport bus appeared behind me and I flagged it down and got back with just a short amount of walking. I've since learned I could have jammed the cassette to the spokes to create a makeshift fixie and pedaled home gently. I think I'm going to add some cable ties to my armory.
Old 05-05-15, 07:42 AM

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tunnelrat81
Thankfully the Palm Springs century is pan flat, so it was a non issue winding in my limit screw to the 3rd cog or so and riding it out.
-Jeremy
I'm new to all of this, but I have already experienced the r/d cable break - on my very first organized event. Great tip on how to make it less of a disaster - never thought of that!
Old 05-05-15, 08:00 AM

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I've had plenty of mechanical failures. Broken spokes, bent skewers, I broke the axel on my bike once. This was probably the worst one I had in terms of the amount of blood it spilled:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0282.jpg (103.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-05-15, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
I had my stem face plate come loose once. But that was during a crit, not a ride. I was in great position too. I had to drop out with two laps to go.
Old 05-05-15, 08:26 AM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy 1, 1996 Trek 730

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another vote for crank arm came off.
Old 05-05-15, 08:30 AM
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I shifted into the largest cog on my cassette as I was powering up a hill one day. I had too much torque and my flexy steel frame was twisted enough to allow the chain to jump off on the inside. It got jammed between the cassette and the freewheel, broke 6 spokes, and locked up the rear wheel which shredded the tire. Luckily the RD was fine, but I had to hoof it home two miles carrying my bike.
Old 05-05-15, 08:42 AM

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is another good reason to use SPD shoes/cleats/pedals. Very unlikely to break.

Been fortunate with my road bike, haven't had anything worse than a few flat tires a years.
Old 05-05-15, 08:44 AM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by KonaRider125
That is another good reason to use SPD shoes/cleats/pedals. Very unlikely to break.
My current pedals have enough surface area that I could pedal home with them even in the event of a broken cleat.
Old 05-05-15, 08:45 AM

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a kid(14?) rode to a friends house about 3 miles away, we were riding around his moms yard on our bikes goofing around doing wheelies and endo's and all of a sudden the crank arm on my Royce Union "mountain bike" stripped out where it was crimped to the chainrings. Pedal all I want, and go no where.

He PUSHED me all the way home! He was a cross country and track runner, so he just thought of it as training. We routinely rode 15-20 miles around our county on our cheap mtb's. I miss those days!
Old 05-05-15, 09:42 AM

Bikes: 2014 Scattante CFR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear broken cleat people, OP included: wtf? Take off your shoe, put it in a jersey pocket, and ride home using whatever pedal you're using as a little platfrom pedal. What am I missing?

The seat broke completely off my fixie why I had a backpack full of groceries. (I'm sure the added weight is what caused it.) Managed to save it without a scratch.

The front brake ejected off the fork going down a VERY steep hill. The rear brake saved me. This was on an old, poorly-maintained beater.

If you go back to all the hack jobs I did on my bmx bikes as a kid, I would have plenty more examples.
Old 05-05-15, 10:22 AM

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
blew out a side plate on a chain, it grabbed the RD, whammied the hanger, riding buddy had me hold onto a strap on his backpack and he towed me about 4 miles. he didn't ride again for about a week cuz it crushed him dragging an extra 250lbs up a couple hills.
Old 05-05-15, 10:27 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3619 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Stem broke in the middle of an unsupported, fully-loaded camping tour in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Walked several miles to the Porcupine Mountains State Park Campground, and prepared to hitch-hike 60 miles to the nearest bike shop. Before I left, a bike tour group pulled into the campground and sold me a stem off of one of their bikes.
Old 05-05-15, 10:29 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Sought out a Welder in Killarney Ireland on my Bike tour. in 1997.

RD, overshifted and cut 25% of the rear wheel spokes in one go.. just after building the wheel, back on Calif.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-05-15 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-05-15, 12:00 PM

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or this:

Hulk and elephant are for mashing.

The Flash is for spinning.

GH
Old 05-05-15, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Had a frame break at the bottom bracket while riding it. It was an old steel schwinn that my had gave me, apparently they had a reputation for rusting out and breaking there.

It wasn't really nearly as bad as I had thought - the frame stayed together, it made this awful noise, but I was able to coast most of the way home on it still.

The worst ones are when the front wheel or front fork suddenly break. You go down instantly, faster than your brain can react.
Old 05-05-15, 12:41 PM

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
Many years ago, fully loaded touring around Lake Erie on a very heavily used Motebecane Gran Touring, while descending at high speed, I reached for the brake levers and the right lever detached from the handlebar. The bolt that tightens the band holding the lever to the bar had corroded from sweat and broke. Lever gracefully arcs laterally and down into front spokes, pings loudly but bounces back out and up. I had that one chance to grab it before it descended again as time stood still. Second time was the charm. Lever grabbed a spoke, locked up the front wheel, bending the fork something awful as I was launched over the bars. I still have scars from the crash 35 years later.
Old 05-05-15, 12:48 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by zatopek
Many years ago, fully loaded touring around Lake Erie on a very heavily used Motebecane Gran Touring, while descending at high speed, I reached for the brake levers and the right lever detached from the handlebar. The bolt that tightens the band holding the lever to the bar had corroded from sweat and broke. Lever gracefully arcs laterally and down into front spokes, pings loudly but bounces back out and up. I had that one chance to grab it before it descended again as time stood still. Second time was the charm. Lever grabbed a spoke, locked up the front wheel, bending the fork something awful as I was launched over the bars. I still have scars from the crash 35 years later.
Epic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.